Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: WTF can I buy a backpack, $#!*!!!!!  (Read 6543 times)

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
Re: WTF can I buy a backpack, $#!*!!!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2012, 05:45:19 pm »

You can also just use some other bag and carry it around. Would be annoying since you can't "equip" it, but you can hold much more in one hand, until you find a backpack.

I tried that with those bags filled with berries. I attempted to put things into them, and it just kept saying something like, "no place to put it." I even took one bag with only 3 strawberries in it, and tried to put more strawberries that I had gotten from another bag, and it wouldn't let me. I even tried to put those strawberries back into the same bag I took them out of, and it wouldn't let me. So I figured those bags must just be pointless to use as satchels. What bags were you using when carrying stuff, and where did you find them?
Try dropping the item on the ground with the bag in your hand.  Then get the item, it might put it in your bag if you have room.

keyreper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2012, 07:24:15 pm »

you cant put it in your backpack? Ware it!
The anwser to life, the universe, and everything as we know it is -MAGMA-

Eurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 12:48:13 am »

I finally managed to find one in a tomb, there was a weapon trap on it though. Luckily I positioned myself to make my zombie walk into it, also ironically he was the tomb's mummy, who I raised before he could awake into a mummy. So that must suck for him.

Also I'm pretty sure those normal bags don't work at all.

vettkinn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 01:40:12 am »

I had the same issue. For a long time,  my adventurer was holding a masterpiece bronze battleaxe in one hand, and a willow chest on the other to bring my stuff.

It's kinda hopeless to look for them in shops, and they are pretty rare in dungeons too. The best place to look for them is in fortresses. They are free for the taking and would sometimes have good armor and weapons too!  :P

Cairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 03:22:18 am »

General import shops might be worth checking, they tend to have a variety of things - I know that's where I got most of my crutches in 0.31.

I also second the suggestion to go for a KEEP. Not a dungeon, not a tomb, a KEEP. You're less likely to die there, they show up on the map, and I've seen a couple backpacks in keeps by now. As far as I can tell, it's perfectly acceptable to appropriate items found there, too (at least, I've never been attacked for taking items in the keep).

Oh, and as for putting things in one of those berry bags? I'm pretty sure the issue is that the bag is too full already. There ARE ways to over-fill a bag, but once you've reached that point, you can't use 'p' to put items in there any more. I know with backpacks, at least, you can still 'g'et items from the ground, although I don't know if the same is true of a held bag.

Thanks, I was thinking about downloading a crafting mod that someone had mentioned in another forum. But I'll try this out first, and see what I can find. I know where at least two fortresses are, here's to hoping they're abandoned. I have three followers now. I won't be visiting the tomb, I took one trip to it, and when I finally figured out how to enter one of them rather than merely climbing to the top, there's like 10 or 15 skeletons there. I just don't think unarmored, throwing-skilled me and three followers will be able to handle it, and the easy-to-walk-into half has nothing but a pillar and a ">" staircase that I still haven't figured out how to use.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 04:36:49 am »

Beware of the Mummy ;)

Or the full masterwork iron armor vampire overlords acompied by 10+ respawning minions.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 06:14:41 am »

General import shops might be worth checking, they tend to have a variety of things - I know that's where I got most of my crutches in 0.31.

I also second the suggestion to go for a KEEP. Not a dungeon, not a tomb, a KEEP. You're less likely to die there, they show up on the map, and I've seen a couple backpacks in keeps by now. As far as I can tell, it's perfectly acceptable to appropriate items found there, too (at least, I've never been attacked for taking items in the keep).

Oh, and as for putting things in one of those berry bags? I'm pretty sure the issue is that the bag is too full already. There ARE ways to over-fill a bag, but once you've reached that point, you can't use 'p' to put items in there any more. I know with backpacks, at least, you can still 'g'et items from the ground, although I don't know if the same is true of a held bag.

Thanks, I was thinking about downloading a crafting mod that someone had mentioned in another forum. But I'll try this out first, and see what I can find. I know where at least two fortresses are, here's to hoping they're abandoned. I have three followers now. I won't be visiting the tomb, I took one trip to it, and when I finally figured out how to enter one of them rather than merely climbing to the top, there's like 10 or 15 skeletons there. I just don't think unarmored, throwing-skilled me and three followers will be able to handle it, and the easy-to-walk-into half has nothing but a pillar and a ">" staircase that I still haven't figured out how to use.

Yeah, I'm quite fond of Lofn's "Wanderer's Friend" mod, it added just enough sense of self-driven purpose to 0.31 to keep me interested. After all, it made it so that I could take trophies more easily, rather than just wandering around killing things. However, I haven't used it in 0.34 yet - there's decent loot for me to find, and necromancy/vampirism provides some additional long-term goals.

For the fortresses: as far as I can tell, it doesn't matter if they're abandoned or not. I've taken stuff with no repercussions, sometimes from the room that the lord is in. Although, I WAS sneaking (for RP purposes if nothing else), but I don't think that matters.

Also, staircases? I assume you know to hit the ">" key to go down and the "<" key to go up, right? It's a pretty standard control scheme for roguelikes and related games, but I can't figure out what other problems you'd be having, when trying to use the stairs. Oh, right - if there's someone on the destination tile, you'll have to lie down first (protip: doing that is dangerous in a necro tower).

Cairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 05:02:56 pm »

I attempted to go into a keep, but I couldn't get around the rivers without wandering off a ways away from it so I just went back the the tombs. I found one that didn't have skeletons everywhere, but I had to crash my game and reload a couple times. Apparently, even if the mummy is a distance away, you only have a very limited time with which to grab whatever loot you can and run out. Then I sold a few things, and happened to catch wind of another keep. This one I could reach. I went up there, found bags galore, more than I knew what to do with, and not one of them was a backpack. Now I've got over 9,000 currency, attempted to buy a bunch of gemstones because I read somewhere that currency is only worth it's value in the civilization you get it in. Needless to say, now I don't have enough space to carry them all. So, now I need two backpacks. One for the all of the gemstones to store in my new home donated to me by the night creature I murdered, and one I can carry wherever I go. I like the night creature's cave. I've decided to move into that cave and make it my home. I've even slept in there once.

Cairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2012, 01:55:35 am »

Also, staircases? I assume you know to hit the ">" key to go down and the "<" key to go up, right? It's a pretty standard control scheme for roguelikes and related games, but I can't figure out what other problems you'd be having, when trying to use the stairs. Oh, right - if there's someone on the destination tile, you'll have to lie down first (protip: doing that is dangerous in a necro tower).

Thanks, I didn't actually know what to do with the staircases, but I had read something somewhere that said something about using shift and ctrl. Also, the keybindings looked like they were saying Shift 2, but that didn't work. So I messed around with one, couldn't figure out what to do, so I started hitting each number key, one at a time then something unexpected happened. I ended up in another room. Not completely sure how it happened, I had to experiment a little more until I discovered that Shift 5 makes you go up, and ctrl 5 makes you go down. You know, it didn't even occur to me to try and use the >< signs. I mean it makes sense, after all, they are the symbol for the stairs in the game itself. Thanks though, it would have been considerably annoying if I still hadn't figured it out, but the shift and ctrl 5 works better for me because I use the number pad primarily anyway for movement.

Yeah, I'm quite fond of Lofn's "Wanderer's Friend" mod, it added just enough sense of self-driven purpose to 0.31 to keep me interested. After all, it made it so that I could take trophies more easily, rather than just wandering around killing things. However, I haven't used it in 0.34 yet - there's decent loot for me to find, and necromancy/vampirism provides some additional long-term goals.

I can't seem to find the forum I was talking about earlier, I should have bookmarked it. Is this Lofn's Wanderer's mod you speak of the mod that allows the crafting of backpacks?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:00:14 am by Cairn »

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2012, 06:11:30 am »

Yeah, ">" and "<" are pretty standard roguelike keys for up/down movement. I think they're also the keys used in fortress mode to change z-levels, right? Although, knowing about shift-5 and ctrl-5 could come in handy, as well.

I can't seem to find the forum I was talking about earlier, I should have bookmarked it. Is this Lofn's Wanderer's mod you speak of the mod that allows the crafting of backpacks?

Should be, lemme check. Ah, yes, yes it does allow you to craft backpacks, among other things. Here's the forum thread for it: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=61304.0

Also, there's a sticky in the modding forum that lists a bunch of mods people have put together - if you ever want to use a mod in the future, that's probably a good place to look :).

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2012, 06:42:17 am »

Yeah, ">" and "<" are pretty standard roguelike keys for up/down movement. I think they're also the keys used in fortress mode to change z-levels, right? Although, knowing about shift-5 and ctrl-5 could come in handy, as well.

ALT moving also works ;)

And pressing shift/ctrl + direction on the num pad also works, not just 5
Pages: 1 [2]