Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: WTF can I buy a backpack, $#!*!!!!!  (Read 6545 times)

Cairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
WTF can I buy a backpack, $#!*!!!!!
« on: February 24, 2012, 02:20:50 pm »

I've been looking around this town and google searching for 5 freaking hours now, and I find a whole bunch of leather shops, clothing shops, food shops with tons of useless bags, and even a couple weapon shops, and none, absolutely none of them sell backpacks. I must have been in 20 different leather shops by now looking through their inventory, some of which, have no inventory, but still do not trade in currency, so I can't even get money from them, not that I could carry it anyway because I CAN'T FIND A FREAKIIIIIINNNNGGGG BAAACCCKKKPAAACCCCKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Anyway, what kind of merchant shop sells backpacks? Geez, the leather working shops are way overkill in this game. I mean it's completely unrealistic that you'd have 100+ leather working shops all in the same city, and all of them selling pretty much the same merchandise, yet not one sees the obvious lack of supply of travel-packs that they can capitalize on.

If I could just know the type of shop that sells backpacks, I could avoid visiting each and every single leather working or clothing or whatever shop just to find that backpack. I know they must exist, these shops, because I've seen at least one forum where someone said that they didn't have the money to buy a backpack, heaven forbid he mention what shop he tried to buy it at.

I thank you from the bottom of my heart, seriously, if you will just tell me what kind of shop to look for, preferably what the sign will say outside the door.

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: WTF can I buy a backpack, $#!*!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 02:22:53 pm »

I've got the same problem. I just ferry my loot one at a time right now, but I'm hopeing to find something in the dungeons.. or maybe a lair
Playing since 2007

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 02:25:02 pm »

Dunno about shops, but there are backpacks lying around in the treasure rooms of fortress keeps, tombs, dungeons, etc.  And they're all free for the taking.

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 02:33:47 pm »

You can also just use some other bag and carry it around. Would be annoying since you can't "equip" it, but you can hold much more in one hand, until you find a backpack.
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

Cairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 02:40:33 pm »

Dunno about shops, but there are backpacks lying around in the treasure rooms of fortress keeps, tombs, dungeons, etc.  And they're all free for the taking.

Well, I know where one tomb is at right now. I'm so new, I've literally only killed one thing, a night creature, and it wasn't even me, it was my followers that killed him. I mean I'm still living on berries I found in my starting Hamlet. My need for a backpack definitely warrants the risk, so I guess I can go and check it out.

Thanks you very very much.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2012, 02:43:16 pm »

Beware of the Mummy ;)

Cairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2012, 02:44:07 pm »

You can also just use some other bag and carry it around. Would be annoying since you can't "equip" it, but you can hold much more in one hand, until you find a backpack.

I tried that with those bags filled with berries. I attempted to put things into them, and it just kept saying something like, "no place to put it." I even took one bag with only 3 strawberries in it, and tried to put more strawberries that I had gotten from another bag, and it wouldn't let me. I even tried to put those strawberries back into the same bag I took them out of, and it wouldn't let me. So I figured those bags must just be pointless to use as satchels. What bags were you using when carrying stuff, and where did you find them?

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2012, 02:49:17 pm »

pretty sure its the leather goods shop that sells backpacks and the like, but theres only 1 of them per town and they are usually empty  :-\
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2012, 02:59:45 pm »

pretty sure its the leather goods shop that sells backpacks and the like, but theres only 1 of them per town and they are usually empty  :-\

Sounds like you frequent the wrong towns ...
in my world there are several big towns that have numerous leather goods shops (didnīt frequent them often, however)...
in contrast to this my world only rarely has shops that deal with metal (metal crafting, weaponsmith or armor smith) ...
usually just one of each per town and most are empty (similar to your leather goods shops)

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2012, 03:05:32 pm »

Sounds like you frequent the wrong towns ...
in my world there are several big towns that have numerous leather goods shops (didnīt frequent them often, however)...
in contrast to this my world only rarely has shops that deal with metal (metal crafting, weaponsmith or armor smith) ...
usually just one of each per town and most are empty (similar to your leather goods shops)
its the leather goods shop spacifically, all my towns have TUNS of leather clothes/armor shops.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2012, 03:11:20 pm »

General import shops might be worth checking, they tend to have a variety of things - I know that's where I got most of my crutches in 0.31.

I also second the suggestion to go for a KEEP. Not a dungeon, not a tomb, a KEEP. You're less likely to die there, they show up on the map, and I've seen a couple backpacks in keeps by now. As far as I can tell, it's perfectly acceptable to appropriate items found there, too (at least, I've never been attacked for taking items in the keep).

Oh, and as for putting things in one of those berry bags? I'm pretty sure the issue is that the bag is too full already. There ARE ways to over-fill a bag, but once you've reached that point, you can't use 'p' to put items in there any more. I know with backpacks, at least, you can still 'g'et items from the ground, although I don't know if the same is true of a held bag.

Proteus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2012, 03:25:13 pm »

I also second the suggestion to go for a KEEP. Not a dungeon, not a tomb, a KEEP. You're less likely to die there, they show up on the map, and I've seen a couple backpacks in keeps by now. As far as I can tell, it's perfectly acceptable to appropriate items found there, too (at least, I've never been attacked for taking items in the keep).

I agree ...
abandoned keeps are great places for finding stuff ...
usually they are also among the best to equip yourself with adequate weapons and metal armor
(and less dangerous than tombs)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 03:27:16 pm by Proteus »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2012, 03:32:22 pm »

inhabited keeps (town center thingies) are free item storages too
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 03:42:59 pm »

There are also warehouses, which are sometimes packed with free stuff... they normally specialize in a few categories only though.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Eurus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 05:02:09 pm »

I just came here to ask this question, good to know.
Pages: [1] 2