Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Airbuccaneers HD  (Read 6314 times)

Nuisance

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Airbuccaneers HD
« on: February 24, 2012, 12:32:41 pm »

Hello

Here's a game that I feel some of you oughta try.

Airbuccaneers HD is the sequel to a mod for ut2004 where you fly around in airballoons with cannons.

Here's a youtube link to the old mod

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VGBBgLzjJw

This is the new game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iHqmejXJC9w&context=C31e14aeADOEgsToPDskJkzDELvB_TVTRjVFtw8k1Y

Right now it's in pre-alpha v0.4

http://www.ludocraft.com/games/airbuccaneers/pre-alpha-download/

Rex_Nex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Airbuccaneers HD
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2012, 12:39:01 pm »

Before the kids come in saying "SPAM", he is a lurker, not a spammer.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2012, 12:44:12 pm »

It's a cool idea, but the damage model doesn't look very good.  The ships just kind of catch on fire and drop straight down.  When you're playing a game with big vehicles like this you expect it to look cool when they get destroyed.  I want to bail out of a ship that's on fire and falling apart.
Shoes...

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2012, 01:00:50 pm »

I like this type of games. I never got to play the original air buccaneers but i liked Guns of Icarus which looks kind of similar. Oh and the alpha of that "steampunk gnome ship shooting game at each other" game, not sure what the name was.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2012, 01:18:20 pm »

Oh yeah, I remember playing the original mod of this. Kinda neat, if only for the variety of experience it gave you with multiplayer. Lots of balloon popping, IIRC.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2012, 08:05:44 am »

This is on sale for $5 on GamersGate. Got it, and had a blast playing my first round with around 12 players. It's pretty fun, and runs well. It's not top-of-the-line or anything, at least on my aging laptop, but still. Good stuff, and forced teamwork too! :)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2012, 02:01:04 pm »

So I saw Dariush And kissamies on there. Since the game is slightly hard to pick up, especially if you don't do the tutorial that's super hidden in the launcher, here's the basics.

You're a guy.

There are floating ships.

There's also a glider that gets you onto ships that are in the air.

Use your empty hands (1) to repair the ship with the tools at the front of the ship.

Use the torch (2) to light the fuse on a loaded cannon.

Use the cannonballs (3) to load cannonballs onto cannons (hurr durr).

Use the gunpowder (4) with LMB to load a cannon and make it a flamethrower, which has short range but burns people and balloons like all hell. Use with RMB to throw a gunpowder grenade, and the longer you keep it pressed, the further it will go. These will actually take out both people and ships.

Use the airmine launcher (5) with LMB to load cannons with rockets. You can load MULTIPLE by keeping LMB pressed. When you light the fuse, the rockets will fire in pairs over a stretch. Use the RMB to fire a rocket that turns into an air mine. The longer you click the further away the mine is going to be. Put it in front of enemy ships!

Use the telescope (6) with LMB to zoom in. LMB once zoomed to exit the zoomed view. RMB to announce an enemy ship.

Use the musket (7) with LMB or RMB to fire at enemy crews once they're close enough or to block. The musket ball explodes at a certain distance. If you can get it to burst next to an incoming cannonball you get 4 points and destroy the cannon ball. It's the same for most incoming projectives, such as rockets.

Use the sword (8) with LMB to swing your sword. The longer you press, the stronger the hit. RMB allows you to block, I think, but I've never used it.

Now, you move around with WASD as usual. What you want to do is get on a ship. To work a cannon, you press E while looking at it, or just mouse click with your empty hands. To load the cannon, you can't be aiming it. Press E again to get away from it, press (3)(4)(5) and load it, (2) to light it, and E to aim it. Rinse and repeat.

The engagement goes as follows: wait for the enemy ship to get into long range, and fire some rockets (load with airmine lancher, use torch to fire cannon). They need some lead. One they're at medium range, angle the cannon AS FAR UP AS IT GOES, and shoot cannon balls. If the enemy ship gets closer, you can aim the cannon down a bit. If you happen to get REAL close, load gunpowder and throw some MAGMA at those bastards.

To board ships, friendly OR OTHERWISE, just jump off your ship (SPACE to jump). Once you're below the enemy ship, press SPACE again. If you're close enough, you catch a rope. Use W to go up and S to go down the rope. Once you reach the top, you'll jump onto the ship. You can also use CTRL to let go. You can also throw gunpowder grenades using (4) RMB. This can either kill crew or send the whole ship crashing down, you with it.

To fly ships (and please don't do this if you haven't played before), you get on the wheel. W makes it go upwards, S go downwards, and A and D turn the wheel. You can leave the wheel and the boat will keep turning. The boat goes forwards on its own. You also have boosting, which is a way to temporarily gain speed in a direction. There's a little menu on the right. Use the mousewheel to go up or down the menu, and space will activate boost. After a few seconds, it'll be available again. Finally, next to the minimap, there's a little vertical gauge. If that goes straight up and touches the top, you'll drastically lose altitude, and, with non-trivial probability, your boat!

Me and Dariush and another guy did awesome. We got on the smaller ships, headed straight for a big enemy one, then, in great praise to Armok, boarded it and captured it. In the meantime, they had done the same to our ship, but we shot it down somehow. And then, we took a ship that had been taken by them.

It was most glorious.

I'd love to see a bigger B12 community!

Also, as it turns out, the Alpha is free.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2012, 02:05:54 pm by Anvilfolk »

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 05:19:47 pm »

So, this is part of the Indiefort Championship, and I'm kinda curious to see if theres anyone else playing it here still.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 08:07:08 pm »

I just heard of it due to that, and bought it as part of my bundle (for $1 each you can hardly go wrong, even if they all wind up sucking I'm only out a buck a game heh).

Downloading it now.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 08:19:33 pm »

I just tried some of this and its actually a lot of fun!  I'm going by Vellum on it so holla if ya see me.
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 08:34:26 pm »

I remember playing this game when it was relatively new on UT2004. Fun as hell. I like some of the updates they made to it. When I saw it on Steam Greenlight, I was quite happy to see it still in production.

It's definitely worth a try. I think I still have a video of it in action on my livestream channel. Mind the quality, I had to nerf the graphics in order to stream it properly.

I have yet to fly a ship with a full complement of crew. I was hoping this will allow that to occur sooner or later with a Bay-12 crew. Otherwise, I usually jump ship-to-ship and steal their craft, and shoot them down with their own ships, and leapfrog onto another ship when mine becomes a lumbering wreck.

Even going solo, it's still pretty fun. I can man a battleship just fine solo.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:36:31 pm by Itnetlolor »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 08:43:00 pm »

Weird, froze up suddenly when I tried to fire a cannon.

Anyway, I'll be playing as Conall. If the game cooperates, that is.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2012, 09:08:54 pm »

Dear Pilots,

The guns are on the sides of the ship.  Please stop aiming us head on into their broadsides so they can cross our T.  A boat is not a tank my dear fellows, even if it floats in the sky.

Vellum
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2012, 09:42:13 pm »

I'm kind of saddened that they removed charged reloading. In the mod you used to be able to hold down fire while loading a cannon ball to charge it. The longer you charged the further the shot eventually went. Sure it wasn't realistic (what is in this mod), but it did add another cool tactical choice. Fewer sniping shots or get in closer so you can spam harder.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2012, 10:38:58 pm »

It's an interesting game. I managed to take down a few ships, but mostly died to crews of people who knew what they were doing when my crew had no idea.

I managed to flame another ship full of people while solo earlier though. I was flying toward the ship and nobody ever joined me on mine (we had several in the air, and the enemy ship was focusing on one of them). I preloaded both the left side cannons with 3 powder each and turned them forward, then set off for the enemy ship. I managed to get close without them paying me much attention, and as I closed on them I hopped off the wheel and lit both cannons, then ran back to the wheel to scrape across their side. Broadsided them with both the flame cannons, with them beginning firing right as I got close to them. One of them saw me and pegged my ship with a cannonball, but it was too late - the flamethrowers dropped them, killing all four people on the ship.

A good crew can wreck things fast, though. Two guys aiming cannons, two guys reloading and lighting them, and a guy at the wheel who can steer good. I haven't been on a ship like that yet, but in a round where we fought against that we kept getting massacred.
Pages: [1] 2