Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXXI: Game Over. Scum Victory.  (Read 50617 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXI: Day 1- The investigation begins!
« Reply #165 on: February 27, 2012, 11:26:36 am »

The reason I'm voting his is he has asked no questions so far, except those which have no real use in scum hunting. He also just posted a list of rules that have almost no effect on play imaginable, except rooting out the weakly opinionated and making him seem to care more about the lynch than he does. Also, he seemed to be trying for a bandwagon earlier with the "Wait you are lurking?" comment.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: February 27, 2012, 11:42:58 am »

One guy is out and is probably a cretin, one is a self-obsessed imbecile and one didn't post since the game start. This game is going superbly.

Mii

• Bay Watcher
  • c'est la vie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: February 27, 2012, 11:57:25 am »

The reason I'm voting his is he has asked no questions so far, except those which have no real use in scum hunting. He also just posted a list of rules that have almost no effect on play imaginable, except rooting out the weakly opinionated and making him seem to care more about the lynch than he does. Also, he seemed to be trying for a bandwagon earlier with the "Wait you are lurking?" comment.

Do you have any other reasons?
"A normal person looks at ♠§dg and sees gibberish, but the Dwarf Fortress initiate sees a tense tableau: a dog leashed to a tree, about to be mauled by a goblin."

- The Brilliance of Dwarf Fortress

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: February 27, 2012, 11:59:34 am »

The fact that he's trying to back out now. Other than that, he just seems really scummy to me.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: February 27, 2012, 12:02:37 pm »

fuck this!

VOTE JAXLER

I'm not enjoying this in the slightest and I don't really care to learn how to play this game. Right now I'm rage quitting. I don't care I'm done. lynch me, please.

Just ask for a replacement. We are not wasting a night lynch on you just because you do not want to play anymore.

sure. I'm asking for a replacement.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: February 27, 2012, 12:15:37 pm »

I am not going to blindly follow someone else whose motives I cannot see.
I agree with that. Problem is: That does not apply here. First, the motives I've detailed in the debated strategy are absolutely pro-town, they cannot be coherently laid out in any other way, and you should do your best to show that you at least not disrespect them, because although you do not know my intent, you know that this strategy does not support scum intent. At all.
Secondly, although I won't let you know how I'm investigating, I will have to show coherent results, should I find scum with this method. Before I find conclusive proof that XY is scum, I won't attempt to make people vote XY, because I can't convey mere suspicions without everyone telling me I'm scummy.
So you're neither blindly nor following. If you were unsatisfied with a turn of events, you could have told everybody to be wary of me any time you wanted it. It's not as if I would expect you to agree with me, just with this strategy. The emperor part was just a means to implement this strategy. It wouldn't even have helped me. There was no personal gain for me that you wouldn't have noticed immediately.

Scelly, did you read my strategy explanation? What is your opinion to this strategy?
Yes, I read your pile of shit strategy explanation. What I think is you read this from the vocabulary:
WoT - Wall of Text; a really really long post. Sometimes unavoidable, but generally you should try to keep them to a minimum. Sometimes scum use them to seem more active then they are.
And decided to take it to a new level. You are acting a lot like scum. Unvote, Magma

Good, you know your mafia vocabulary. Did you ever see a real WoT before? It looks a bit like a compilation of all posts Obolisk has made in this game. As you should know, a WoT is a single scumtell, which has only a slightly positive correlation with scum. If you want to have people think I'm scum, you should find some more scumtells first. Okay? Also, I could hardly make the post shorter: if I had omitted even more explanation, you wouldn't even have understood my plan, instead of just not accepting it.

PPE:

As this is a Beginner's Mafia, I thought I could start with a low blow (my question to drakon). It had a very low chance of succeeding, but if he had answered yes/no, that would have been a very easy score. And the "Wait are you lurking?" was merely a means of achieving pressure. That wasn't even a bandwagon, it was only a temporary weak spot I tried to exploit. None of my investigative posts have shown great intended effect so far, because drakon isn't there, jaxler has decided to ragequit, and everybody else has decided to kick my plan's butt.

One guy is out and is probably a cretin, one is a self-obsessed imbecile and one didn't post since the game start. This game is going superbly.

Why so non-constructive, Dariush?

People, forget about my laws, if you haven't already.

Like hell I won't. Do not try to run away and hide from this.

Okay, let's rephrase this: People, you don't need to follow my laws anymore, they didn't work as planned.

The fact that he's trying to back out now. Other than that, he just seems really scummy to me.

I am not backing out, I still hold full responsibility for my posts and actions. I just abandoned my earlier strategy since it obviously doesn't work.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: February 27, 2012, 12:24:34 pm »

Do some scumhunting. That's another thing I'm suspicious about, all you're doing is defending yourself now. Find someone to build a case against and stick with it. I'm gonna go back to bothering Pye again. Unvote, Vote Uber Pye
Uber pye: What did you think of Magma's strategy?

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: February 27, 2012, 12:25:56 pm »

Unvote. 
Magma.

What me posted was good, but I'll take it a step further.  I agree that you could just as easily jumped someone for blindly following you.  That was probably what you would have done.  This smells like some kind trap designed for unsuspecting townies rather than scum. 
Dariudsh, I'm PFP, so I will try and answer your concerns next time I post.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: February 27, 2012, 01:23:57 pm »

Do some scumhunting. That's another thing I'm suspicious about, all you're doing is defending yourself now. Find someone to build a case against and stick with it.

In the past few years of school, I have trained myself in detecting logical and/or behavioral flaws in people's statements, mostly to piss off my teachers. It was probably unintentional, but my teachers always had the hang of being idiots, so I fought back by figuratively pulling their pants off twice each class: I spent classtime either sleeping (I know all that shit already because I read the textbook through completely as soon as it's handed out) or quietly listening to them teach, and when they said something stupid, I asked them questions in such a way that at some point in the discussion, the teachers would say the complete opposite of what they said two minutes earlier. My classmates always placed bets on if the teacher would notice that they were being stupid, and the ratio of noticing to not noticing was about 1:1.
In short: I'm pretty decent at verbal Judo.

Note that I would only attack when something stupid was said or if I was being acted stupid at directly. I never started the logical fights myself. So what I want to say is that I am not going to find a target myself, but I will only attack when provoked, in Mafia terms: I will either bandwagon or defend myself. That sounds seriously scummy, but I will continue playing like this, as it is what I'm best in. You may talk to me about anything, but remember: Until I say I have results, my attacks are intended to be responded to by only my target, because they may very well be trick questions.

A note on defending: I'm a trained contest mathematician, so I generally like the challenge of proving or disproving statements that are thrown against me, as well as answer any questions directed at me truthfully and soundly, as I stated earlier. Also, my recent defending streak is entirely justified: I had to respond to all of your accusations, and Mafia is not the only thing I have to spend time on.

I agree that you could just as easily jumped someone for blindly following you.  That was probably what you would have done.  This smells like some kind trap designed for unsuspecting townies rather than scum. 

Let's suppose you would be correct, and I had written that whole post just to trick some unsuspecting townie. Let us further assume that some townie would have actually responded to that post the way I intended. What would have happened next?

Townie: Oh, that sounds great! Let's do that!
        Me: Ha! Did you really think that I meant this seriously? That'll teach you to trust me, you moron!

Obolisk, did you think that through? Why not?

I'm now going to reread this thread. Give me some time.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: February 27, 2012, 02:18:48 pm »

Magma McFry, alright, smart guy. Riddle me this:

It stands to reason that good players do not get lynched.
You are in the lead for votes, therefore, you are going to be lynched.
Therefore, you are a not a good player.

Wuh oh! That doesn't sound good.

Now quit being a raging douche to my fellow IC and all the players I'm teaching. It offends me that you think you can act in such an arrogant manner and still expect that people are going to take you seriously and treat you with any respect, because you haven't been showing any towards them whatsoever.

It also offends me that you would sign up for a Beginner's Mafia game if you didn't want to learn how to play this game, because when multiple people, including an IC, tell you that you're wrong and full of shit, you decide not to listen to them, instead continuing with whatever uninformed way you think this game is played.

So, Magma McFry, do you actually want to know how to play this game? Dariush and I and even some of the players are excellent sources of knowledge, if you're willing. If you say you do, I expect you'll take a humble pill and cut this smug asshole attitude out. Otherwise, good luck living down the ignominy of being lynched on Day 1 in a Beginner's Mafia when you're obviously an expert.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: February 27, 2012, 03:47:19 pm »

Therefore, you are a not a good player.
I never said I was a good player. I've played lots of Mafia games before, but never online. They went about like this:

Power roles include stuff like Cupid, Terrorist and Gas Station Owner, because they sound funny and because most players want the game to finish fast.
Conversation during the day is often hopeless circular logic, people argumenting with WIFOM (and their arguments being generally accepted), personal rivalries from previous games and RL, threatening to vote for others if they don't buy the next round of drinks, and telling the dead to shut up.
And in the end, a player gets lynched because his right neighbor is the loudest one to claim that he heard something to the left of him when the Mafia was awake last night. And they're generally correct.

So I'm theoretically an absolute beginner.

Remember when I had that plan? I took the concept of Mafia, assumed everyone plays to win, and applied a good dose of game theory to it.
My plan was a direct consequence of the theory of Mafia. Turns out that Mafia does not work well with theory (IC: What's the difference between theory and practical Mafia and why the hell?), and that swearing is a generally more accepted way of playing to win. I learned something new and unexpected, which is why I signed up in the BM in the first place. Next thing I know, swearing is generally not considered good behaviour at all, unless your name starts with D and ends with ariush. I'm beginning to get the feeling that common sense is getting punched in the face. Mafia is awesome.

Now normally I learn something by looking at it and applying common sense. But because common sense is so rare around here, I'm gonna have to learn by my next best learning method: trial and error. Obviously, trial and error is not very compatible with playing to win, but if I want to play to win, I have to know how to play to win.

If I didn't listen to an IC, it's because I assume I can't trust them if they aren't talking in their IC voice. Dariush specifically is behaving very oddly towards me, and I couldn't tell if he was telling me that my plan is crap because he genuinely thinks that it's crap or because he just wanted to foil my plan (IC: Was the plan really absolute crap? If yes, then what exactly is wrong with it?).

Oh, and by the way: If you think I look like somebody who's found a pile of shit in their pants and is going around sticking it up everyone's nose and telling them to enjoy it, dismissing their claims that it's shit with a "But I made it myself, it can't be shit" attitude, then I've got the correct idea of what you think I look like.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 27, 2012, 04:56:23 pm »

Flandre has replaced in for jaxler!
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 27, 2012, 05:05:29 pm »

If I didn't listen to an IC, it's because I assume I can't trust them if they aren't talking in their IC voice. Dariush specifically is behaving very oddly towards me, and I couldn't tell if he was telling me that my plan is crap because he genuinely thinks that it's crap or because he just wanted to foil my plan (IC: Was the plan really absolute crap? If yes, then what exactly is wrong with it?).

The ICs are here to help you learn how to play, even at the expense of winning themselves.  While Dariush may not be the cuddliest and kindest of people in how he reacts, trust me that his telling you your post was a sack of useless shit was because he felt it was objectively that.  You can trust that the guidance and direction the ICs give you on how to play IS trustworthy; that's their job.

As for what's wrong with your plan, it's a ridiculous and convoluted monstrosity that had no place nor use in a Beginner's Mafia game and no immediately evident use in finding scum (the only goal of Town in the entire game), to say nothing of the insanity of everyone going along with your arbitrary rules on the assumption it will find scum (since they have no reason to believe you aren't scum just setting up an elaborate mislynch).

Leave the advanced theories and wild gambits for pro games; the purpose of a BM is to learn and hone the basic skills so you're ready to move on to the advanced stuff later.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Mii

• Bay Watcher
  • c'est la vie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 27, 2012, 05:11:02 pm »

I have a few issues going on at home (migraine, family stuff) at the moment, and I am not sure if it will be gone by tomorrow. I'll be on as soon as possible, which might range from later this evening to tomorrow afternoon.

Terribly sorry for the inconvenience!
"A normal person looks at ♠§dg and sees gibberish, but the Dwarf Fortress initiate sees a tense tableau: a dog leashed to a tree, about to be mauled by a goblin."

- The Brilliance of Dwarf Fortress

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 27, 2012, 06:09:43 pm »

Also, don't think I'm letting up on you Pye

wouldn't expect you not to

Do some scumhunting. That's another thing I'm suspicious about, all you're doing is defending yourself now. Find someone to build a case against and stick with it. I'm gonna go back to bothering Pye again. Unvote, Vote Uber Pye
Uber pye: What did you think of Magma's strategy?

(my vote raged quit so)
unvote JAXLER

Skelly9: what do I think?
I think that a lot has gone on since i was last on.
I think magma is just a dick with wall of text convoluted plans that i don't care about.
what about you?
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 25