Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXXI: Game Over. Scum Victory.  (Read 50612 times)

Mii

• Bay Watcher
  • c'est la vie.
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXI: Day 1- The investigation begins!
« Reply #135 on: February 27, 2012, 12:01:12 am »

You know what, ignore that I can't be sure on the end of my last post.  I just realized that makes me look like I'm leaving a way to back out, so fuck it.  Mii looks eager to jump on people PERIOD.

How does this make me scum? "Jumping on people" roughly translates to "hounding your ass for information to find out if you are scum". Only scum would vote someone for scumhunting, which is exactly what I am doing.
What I was hoping to get was his attitude. Pessimistic or optimistic. I think that it could be useful trying to determine his play style.

If there is an actual purpose behind a question, it is not a filler. I am thinking that you came up with your reasoning for asking the question on the spot just now, but when you asked it you had no clue what you would get from it. That you were only asking it because you could not take the time to think of what you say would be a "better question" and you wanted something that would not make you look like you were not actively scumhunting.

I do not like lazy scum. Figure out how your question will benefit town before you make it, and do a damn good job at keeping your arguments against your scumbuddies consistent, Scelly.
"A normal person looks at ♠§dg and sees gibberish, but the Dwarf Fortress initiate sees a tense tableau: a dog leashed to a tree, about to be mauled by a goblin."

- The Brilliance of Dwarf Fortress

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 27, 2012, 12:21:34 am »

You know what, ignore that I can't be sure on the end of my last post.  I just realized that makes me look like I'm leaving a way to back out, so fuck it.  Mii looks eager to jump on people PERIOD.

How does this make me scum? "Jumping on people" roughly translates to "hounding your ass for information to find out if you are scum". Only scum would vote someone for scumhunting, which is exactly what I am doing.
Quote from: Scelly9
That could be the truth.  It could also be complete bullshit.  Going for easy lynches is a scumtell, because they just want to get their NKs in.  I'm not convinced.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 27, 2012, 12:24:44 am »

I totally fucked up that post.  That last bit shouldn't be a post from Scelly, it's my reaction to what you said.  It should look like this.

That could be the truth.  It could also be complete bullshit.  Going for easy lynches is a scumtell, because they just want to get their NKs in.  I'm not convinced.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

Mii

• Bay Watcher
  • c'est la vie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 27, 2012, 12:38:17 am »

I totally fucked up that post.  That last bit shouldn't be a post from Scelly, it's my reaction to what you said.  It should look like this.

It could also be a flying, purple sock puppet. Do not tell me what it could be, tell me what it is.

This is still the RVS stage. During the RVS stage, you are asking random questions (thus the name RVS - Random Voting Stage) and when you get your answer, you dissect it. Same goes for the questions people ask. "Jumping on people" is what you are supposed to do. Scumhunt. Find inconsistencies.

"A normal person looks at ♠§dg and sees gibberish, but the Dwarf Fortress initiate sees a tense tableau: a dog leashed to a tree, about to be mauled by a goblin."

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 27, 2012, 12:44:08 am »

I post before I think, evidenced by my question earlier about lurking.It's a damn bad habit and an even worse one to have in a mafia game. I was hoping to get the attitude thing from the beginning, however for some reason I was thinking that pessimism/optimism was a stupid thing to look for and would make me look like a noob. That's why I did not just say it at the beginning. Yeah, the filler thing was rather stupid.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Mii

• Bay Watcher
  • c'est la vie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 27, 2012, 12:47:34 am »

I post before I think, evidenced by my question earlier about lurking.It's a damn bad habit and an even worse one to have in a mafia game. I was hoping to get the attitude thing from the beginning, however for some reason I was thinking that pessimism/optimism was a stupid thing to look for and would make me look like a noob. That's why I did not just say it at the beginning. Yeah, the filler thing was rather stupid.

For the record, looking like a noob is much better than looking like scum.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 27, 2012, 12:50:32 am »

Yeah. Got that figured out now  ::)
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 27, 2012, 01:03:26 am »

It could also be a flying, purple sock puppet. Do not tell me what it could be, tell me what it is.

This is still the RVS stage. During the RVS stage, you are asking random questions (thus the name RVS - Random Voting Stage) and when you get your answer, you dissect it. Same goes for the questions people ask. "Jumping on people" is what you are supposed to do. Scumhunt. Find inconsistencies.
Bullshit.  It's obvious you want to look like you're scumhunting.  All you're saying is "I'm scum hunting that's what we should all be doing".  I don't buy it , I think you're going for easy lynches

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 27, 2012, 01:12:06 am »

^^
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 27, 2012, 01:50:03 am »

Lol
Jim: If the day ended right now, with no lynch, and you were scum, who would you NK?

Anyone I wanted, really. But probably Dariush. If anybody has any chance of catching me, it'd be him.

After him, it would be the person I think is the Cop, depending on whatever gut feeling I had at the time. I currently have no inclination that any player in particular has any particular role.

If I was the Godfather, I wouldn't kill the Cop, and I would hope he inspects me. My play, along with a town inspection, would be a virtually impervious defense against any suspicion.

Bullshit.  It's obvious you want to look like you're scumhunting.  All you're saying is "I'm scum hunting that's what we should all be doing".  I don't buy it , I think you're going for easy lynches

This is easy enough to say, but if you want it to stick you need evidence. Where's yours?

Link me to posts where Mii has been demonstratively going after easy lynches.

^^

It appears you are pointing upward. I can do this too.

<<

Here I'm pointing to the left.

>>

Here I'm pointing to the right.

Directions mean nothing to me. If you want to state an opinion, write it out.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 27, 2012, 07:53:03 am »

Obolisk,
I don't want to look like I'm bandwagoning/bussing him/going for the easy lynch, all of which are scum tells from my understanding.
Then don't bandwagon/bus/go for the easy lynch.

Ok Scelly9, i would choose one of the ICs seeing as they are experienced
 because i am so inexperienced and ,as has already been stated by obolisk0430, I am likely just an
 idiot.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but this seems to be boarding on and/or potential for WIFOM.
You're looking really suspicious.
Not only is that WIFOM accusation patently ridiculous, but I answered in a pretty much the same way and you didn't mention it. Looking for the easy lynch there?

Also, don't use red text for anything except votes, since that breaks LurkerTracker, which at least several mods use to track the votes.

This guy just seems off to me.
Bullshit. From the start of the game you are being extremely passive, you softball everyone, you theoretize, you speak much and do little. Do you have anything solid, something that you can reinforce by quotes, obolisk?

For example, Mii seems a bit eager to jump on people, although not much has been posted, so I can't be to sure.
...And here I scroll lower and see more bullshit. 'A bit', 'although', 'I can't be sure'. Take a stance, dammit.

Lol
Jim: If the day ended right now, with no lynch, and you were scum, who would you NK?
First of all, why did you put 'Lol' at the beginning? No, that was not a rhetorical question. I want to know what you found so funny.

Second, questions about 'who you would NK' are generally considered rolefishing. No matter how the person answers, next day you'll be able to make them look guilty.

Oh yay, more softballing and WIFOM. The very same WIFOM of which you accused uber pye.

Scelly,
Uber Pye: Who do you think is going to win this round? Just a gut feeling.
Not particularly, more of filler until I can think of a good one. Also, I want to know what he thinks.
No, no, no. Why do you use filler in a mafia game? Do you want to quietly get through the game without being noticed by asking questions with no real consequences?

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 27, 2012, 08:41:04 am »

So I've been thinking about this game the whole time while I was in school, and I'm feeling as if my brain was on overdrive the whole time.

Let's sort my thoughts: The word "scummy" is the opposite of "towny", the attribute of behaving like you would expect a townie to behave: he indulges in scumhunting, and his statements are useful and logically sound. People are accused of being scummy because they don't behave correctly. Townies generally have no problem being consistent and they have no need of lying, because they don't have anything to hide. Scum, on the other hand, have to act like something they're not, which can confuse them, especially if, at the same time, they have to influence the real townies in a direction good for the scum. Basically, scum has an extra layer of meta they have to mentally handle. Now what would happen if we slowly start increasing the game's complexity?

Imagine two similar people. One person is juggling with one ball and the other is juggling with two balls. If we give both of them a ball, who's gonna mess up first? Exactly. Townies have one ball (read: thought level), scum has two or three already. This is the only difference between townies and scum that the town can use right from the start.

"Wait, wait!", you think. "Not everybody has the same juggling skills." This is true. I can juggle with four balls IRL without breaking a sweat. And differences in mental juggling ability are not only there, but actually enforced in this game. This is a Beginner's Mafia, so actually we aren't required to be able to juggle anything at all, but Jim and Dariush are ICs, and they volunteered because they're obviously confident that they're able to handle some serious shit. Yep, that's a flaw in this plan. But before you go point this out, I'll just point it out myself and tell you that that's unavoidable. The team with the better players has an advantage in any game, and whether you've got good players on your team just depends on pure luck. But after all, the simplest way to ensure that you've got good players on your team is to try playing well yourself.

But how can I alone change gameplay so drastically that you'll have difficulty following it? Watch this:

I, MagmaMcFry, hereby crown myself Emperor Of This Game.

I declare the following laws to come into effect immediately, influencing all of the players:

Law 1: Don't talk about the laws. No discussing, calling, questioning or even mentioning any of the laws.

Law 2: All laws are mine. I claim the right to be the single person in this game to be able to create, revoke and modify laws, as well as ignore them whenever I want. Laws will continue to hold if I die.

Law 3: At the very end of every post after this one, you shall have exactly the following written (in that font and color): Hail Emperor McFry!

Now, before you dismiss me as a randumb stupideous insaniac, let me explain this as far as you need to know: These laws are not just there for fun.

Law 1 is there to prevent that incident with Dariush from happening again (see my previous post). A great deal of my strategy is based on the premise that people do NOT get their words put into their mouth by other people that accidentally defuse my traps. These laws serve more than one purpose, and they won't work if random people start blathering about them. You can't catch criminals if they know what you're doing.

Well, you're probably wondering what my plan has to do with the stuff that I said before that (increasing the game's complexity): In a short while, I will start adding some laws that will make a serious impact on gameplay. Law 2 is there to prevent other people from copying or messing with my idea, interfering with my strategies and possibly making the game too complex too early. It won't help if nobody can think straight anymore. I will control the pace of the game myself.

Law 3 is for my personal amusement.

Perhaps you're wondering why you should follow these rules. As I told you before, I do not want to explain stuff earlier than I planned to. I have given you all the information you need. Just let me do my thing, and concentrate on doing something else. As far as the current laws go, they should have about the same relevance for you as "Don't piss into an elevator". Think of these laws as good manners. For now, there can be only one rational reason that you don't want to follow them: that you are too lazy to finish all of your posts with three orange words.

If you didn't understand everything, read it again. If you still didn't, just do what I told you.

~~~~ McFry

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 27, 2012, 08:47:03 am »

Vote Count
-----------------------------------------------
Mii- obolisk0430
drakon136- MagmaMcFry
jaxler- Jim Groovester, uber pye
MagmaMcFry-
obolisk0430- Dariush
uber pye- jaxler, Mii, Scelly9
Scelly9-
Jim Groovester-
Dariush-

Not Voting: drakon136

Day will end at 5 pm CST/11 pm GMT Wednesday

drakon136 will be prodded; although it was the weekend, he has not posted since the game has started.
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 27, 2012, 08:49:35 am »

Oh, almost forgot about this post, thanks for reminding me.
If jaxler didn't lurk, he would probably have said something like "I'm late because of (insert RL issue here), let's get this shit rolling". But the way he chose to answer sounds to me like "Don't worry, I'm listening", which translates to lurking.
This is utter bullshit. Everyone answers however he wants. The only people who care about the choice of words are tunneling scum. And Vector, but we don't speak about her.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 27, 2012, 08:51:26 am »

Wait, I almost forgot about the post which reminded me about the post I almost forgot about previously.

Everything you said is bullshit. Just because you point out it's bullshit doesn't make it less so.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 25