Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXXI: Game Over. Scum Victory.  (Read 50589 times)

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXXI: Day 1- The investigation begins!
« Reply #105 on: February 26, 2012, 03:38:03 pm »

This and the fact that Jaxler is also not the only one who has not posted so far makes accusing someone of lurking in the game at this point in time (if that is what you are doing - I see no other way that someone could identify scum with only a small 'in' post before the game even starts) is ridiculous.
I'm here don't worry.
Wait, are you saying you are lurking?
Why are you twisting his words?

To Everyone

If jaxler didn't lurk, he would probably have said something like "I'm late because of (insert RL issue here), let's get this shit rolling". But the way he chose to answer sounds to me like "Don't worry, I'm listening", which translates to lurking. This may not mean much to you, and this does not mean much to me, because this train of thought is not much better than WIFOM and because this is Beginner's Mafia after all, but it is still a good place to apply pressure, and apply pressure I did.

I could have answered like this: "Dear jaxler, what you said could be interpreted as that you were listening the whole time, which is not good townie behaviour. If people think you're lurking, they will think you're scum and lynch you. Be a good boy and behave like a townie, will you?". As you see, that would be completely besides the point.

I answered like I did because firstly it will make jaxler strongly feel that he said something wrong already (which means PRESSURE), and secondly it will force jaxler to post something, which can always lead to him spilling something, especially because he's under PRESSURE. And that, my friend, is called scumhunting.

Twisting jaxler's words is only a means of achieving pressure. I don't have to prove anything yet, and until I want to show others my results, everyone who is not concerned may ignore whatever I say, because what I say is not supposed to concern you. If it does concern you, you are still allowed to ask questions, but be careful: I always strive to answer any questions directed at me truthfully and to your satisfaction. If you ask me a question like "Why the hell are you doing that", I will answer this question truthfully and to your satisfaction, ruining my intentions by explaining them.

The fact that I had to unravel this to you, Dariush, greatly weakens the effect my post has on jaxler, because although he already answered, he now knows what I intended and the pressure I built up is gone. Please don't interfere with my scumhunt again. It's not good for the town, and if you want to continue looking innocent, don't mess with my posts unless they concern you. Go pick on somebody else. Thank you.

Oh yeah, almost forgot.
Unvote
MagmaMcFry
You kind of dodged your question, so I'll rephrase it.
Assuming you're a townie, who would you rather be scum?  The old players (good skill at playing mafia, but you might have some idea of how they operate do to reading old games) or the new players (most likely poor skill at playing mafia, but you probably have no idea how they operate)?
I actually don't care how good the scum is. I haven't read old games, and I don't know how anyone here plays. I enjoy the thought of having no idea who I'm up against, and I believe that I have the mental capacity to take on anyone of you (feel free to burst my bubble). I will play to win, but I enjoy a good game more than an easy win. So if I had nine million games with you all, my favourite scum distribution would be very even. Is this answer to your satisfaction?

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 26, 2012, 04:37:55 pm »

I want to vote Uber Pye, but I'm afraid it's going to turn out he's just an idiot. :-\
Either you suspect him or you don't. (also, FoSes are done by using blue text) What you're currently doing looks an awful deal like passively attacking him while leaving yourself plenty of options for backing out.
The last few paranormal games I read had people acting really weird for some reason, but  turning out to be townie in the end.  I suspect he is scum, but it could turn out that he just sucks/ is a townie.  In either case, I don't want to look like I'm bandwagoning/bussing him/going for the easy lynch, all of which are scum tells from my understanding.
Unvote
Scelly: I would rather the scum be newbies, purely because Jim scares the shit out of me, and if you had read the game his sig linked in his sig, he would scare the shit out of you too.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: February 26, 2012, 06:38:32 pm »

Scelly9: why, I don't know Scelly9, all I know is the LAW
Give me a good answer, your current one makes you look a hell of a lot like scum. Quit being so vague.

Ok Scelly9, i would choose one of the ICs seeing as they are experienced
 because i am so inexperienced and ,as has already been stated by obolisk0430, I am likely just an idiot.
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: February 26, 2012, 06:48:24 pm »

Give me a good answer, your current one makes you look a hell of a lot like scum. Quit being so vague.

because i am so inexperienced and ,as has already been stated by obolisk0430, I am likely just an
 idiot.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but this seems to be boarding on and/or potential for WIFOM.
You're looking really suspicious.
Let this be a lesson to us all: Immortality is only temporary. That's why its called immortality.

Mii

• Bay Watcher
  • c'est la vie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: February 26, 2012, 07:09:08 pm »

because i am so inexperienced and ,as has already been stated by obolisk0430, I am likely just an
 idiot.
Forgive me if I'm wrong, but this seems to be boarding on and/or potential for WIFOM.

Wait, what. That was just an insecure comment. How could that be WIFOM?
"A normal person looks at ♠§dg and sees gibberish, but the Dwarf Fortress initiate sees a tense tableau: a dog leashed to a tree, about to be mauled by a goblin."

- The Brilliance of Dwarf Fortress

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: February 26, 2012, 07:58:36 pm »

idiot.

Wait, what. That was just an insecure comment. How could that be WIFOM?
Maybe WIFOM is a bad term...  This guy just seems off to me.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: February 26, 2012, 08:03:17 pm »

Uber Pye: Who do you think is going to win this round? Just a gut feeling.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: February 26, 2012, 08:09:10 pm »

This and the fact that Jaxler is also not the only one who has not posted so far makes accusing someone of lurking in the game at this point in time (if that is what you are doing - I see no other way that someone could identify scum with only a small 'in' post before the game even starts) is ridiculous.
I'm here don't worry. uber pye: no I'm not being scummy I just am being lazy =P. also as stated above I haven't really posted that much so why would you pounce on my for no reason?

I take it you didn't read my opening spiel, because otherwise you would have found my RVS question addressed to you and responded to it.

Do not be lazy. You will not win games if you are lazy, and you will annoy every player you're playing with if you are lazy.

No doubt.

You don't have to agree with me because I already know it's good advice.

It doesn't win any points with me and it doesn't contribute anything to finding scum.

I want to vote Uber Pye, but I'm afraid it's going to turn out he's just an idiot. :-\
So for right now, FoS Uber Pye

If you want to vote for somebody, you should vote for them.

If you're not sure that somebody's an idiot, ask them questions to find out if they're an idiot.

Stating what you're thinking is pointless because you can do what you're thinking instead.

The last few paranormal games I read had people acting really weird for some reason, but  turning out to be townie in the end.  I suspect he is scum, but it could turn out that he just sucks/ is a townie.  In either case, I don't want to look like I'm bandwagoning/bussing him/going for the easy lynch, all of which are scum tells from my understanding.

You're going about this the wrong way.

Intentionally avoiding doing things that are considered scum tells is just as scummy as if you had done whatever the scum tell is. It shows a concern about your appearance above hunting for scum, which as I stated, is your primary goal.

So instead of worrying about bandwagoning and whatever, you instead ask questions that you're interested in seeing the answers and perform investigations on targets you think are likely scum. This is an excellent way to avoid whatever scum tells you're worrying about making. It is also an excellent way to look like town.

Funny how this works, isn't it? Scumhunting helps the town win games, and it's also exactly what makes somebody look town.

because i am so inexperienced and ,as has already been stated by obolisk0430, I am likely just an idiot.

Idiocy is no excuse.

Especially when you're using it as an excuse on your own behalf.

Uber Pye: Who do you think is going to win this round? Just a gut feeling.

Is this a question that's going to help you find scum?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 26, 2012, 08:12:00 pm »

Not particularly, more of filler until I can think of a good one. Also, I want to know what he thinks.

Mii

• Bay Watcher
  • c'est la vie.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 26, 2012, 08:34:19 pm »

Not particularly, more of filler until I can think of a good one. Also, I want to know what he thinks.

Why would you even need a filler? They are useless to the town (but quite handy to the scum, as they are something to distract others from their fake scumhunting). Is it so it looks as if you are being productive? A townie is supposed to be productive, not look productive.

Why do you want to know what he thinks? What are you expecting to get out of that answer?
"A normal person looks at ♠§dg and sees gibberish, but the Dwarf Fortress initiate sees a tense tableau: a dog leashed to a tree, about to be mauled by a goblin."

- The Brilliance of Dwarf Fortress

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 26, 2012, 09:09:27 pm »

What I was hoping to get was his attitude. Pessimistic or optimistic. I think that it could be useful trying to determine his play style.

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 26, 2012, 09:21:17 pm »

Wasn't trying to earn points Jim.  If it was a real life conversation, there would have been a small chuckle, because it was mostly directed at the bit about people getting pissed off.
Here's how I see Uber Pye:
He is suspicious for dodging the question.
He is more suspicious for his defence being that he is an idiot, something I suggested.
It's true I don't think we should all try to lynch him right now because if I'm wrong it would make me look bad.  However, there is also more to it.  I think there is more scum hunting to be done, and an idiot shouldn't get in the way of that.
For example, Mii seems a bit eager to jump on people, although not much has been posted, so I can't be to sure.

jaxler

• Bay Watcher
  • thats not a red mage...
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 26, 2012, 09:29:52 pm »

So, I don't really know what to do. I understand that I'm supposed to look for scum but I really haven't the slightest clue as to what kind of questions I should ask or when I should ask those question. Could somebody clarify.
I've decided to say "fuck it" and will just implode my fort.

“Ok, Neo ChosenUrist, before you is two levers. Pull the Kimberlite lever -- you wakeup in a random bed and have whatever thoughts you want to think. You pull the Bauxite lever -- you stay in the caverns and I show you how deep the adamantine hole goes.” - psalms

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 26, 2012, 10:38:37 pm »

So, I don't really know what to do. I understand that I'm supposed to look for scum but I really haven't the slightest clue as to what kind of questions I should ask or when I should ask those question. Could somebody clarify.

Since many of you are going to have no idea what to do and will mangle scumhunting in just about every possible way, it does you no good to hold back. So be bold, and just do the best you can. Ask lots of questions, try to get a good feel for how the game is played. I'll be there to help you when you go wrong.

You see the kind of questions everybody else is asking? Give one of those a try. If you have something you think is more worthwhile to pursue than a hypothetical question, like an actual lead, pursue that instead.

For fuck's sake, answer my question while you're at it. You can't ignore people's questions, unless you want swift and vicious retribution.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

obolisk0430

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 26, 2012, 10:50:34 pm »

You know what, ignore that I can't be sure on the end of my last post.  I just realized that makes me look like I'm leaving a way to back out, so fuck it.  Mii looks eager to jump on people PERIOD.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 25