Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Werecreatures and the lunar cycle  (Read 11493 times)

bombzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Werecreatures and the lunar cycle
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2012, 09:22:36 pm »

I like these ideas, but keep in mind that one hit can infect a dwarf with the creatures syndrome.

I had a goblin-were-lizard attack when a migrant wave was coming in, he hit an armorer than got smashed by the 8 hammerdwarves i sent out to guard the migrants, but a hammerdwarf got bit as well.

1 month later, the hammerdwarf mother becomes a were-lizard. kills her baby, and bursts out of her room into the crowded dining hall, harming 3 others before getting put down by the Cotg.
at the same time the soldier killed the militia commander in the barracks before taking 20 something bolts and dropping dead.

another month passes, another soldier in the barracks turns, but gets killed uneventfully. 2 of the injured from the dining hall had been quarantined. but one other couldn't be identified, and turned in the hospital. he killed the CMD and two nurses. than was killed by a fortress guard on his patrol route.

the other 2 infected ones are in floodgate sealed rooms by the main gate, in case of sieges.

were-creatures and vampires have made me actually start giving fortress guards schedules and patrol routes.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 04:14:25 am »

On that note, the way werecreatures are portrayed in adventure mode is silly. Werewolf hunting would be so much more compelling if they behaved like vampires and actually tried to blend in with society, while regularly ambushing you on the streets of their hometown during the full moon.

That much is obvious though, I think Toady just put them in this way because he was in a hurry to get things coded. I also remember hearing something about randomized transformation cycles.

Edit: Hell, what if all the same were-species of the city team up, and all ambush you at once. Or at the very least, were scattered all over the place when you jump out of travel mode. That'd make full moons REAL fun. And have the citizens all lock up their shops and houses, so you'd have nowhere to hide (unless you decided to be an asshole and break down somebody's door :P )
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 04:48:20 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 09:20:53 am »

I also agree with the transforming when enraged part. At least I'd have a better chance of killing a werecreature instead of a peasant.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 11:24:53 am »

I also agree with the transforming when enraged part. At least I'd have a better chance of killing a werecreature instead of a peasant.

Is is a great idea in fact, and fit well into the lore. I think things should stay as it is in fortress mode - short as it is it could bring great FUN to a fortress, as bombzero said.
However in adventure mode something has to be done.

*The were-creatures should be prone to rage like a badger is, and in case of enraging, they would transform until the danger would be dealt with;
*They should live in lairs only if discovered, like when vampires are exposed and flee; maybe disguising themselves and changing location instead of fleeing to a lair.
*As the creatures they change into are randomized in world gen, some of them should change in moon phases other than the full moon;
*Were-creatures should ambush players when changed (maybe this happens already, I don't know);

Rampages should happen in play, to give the chance to the player to defend hamlets (a possible quest would be to guard a hamlet close to the full moon), but I think this will have to wait the Release 5.

Pride

• Bay Watcher
  • Long live the King.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 07:40:59 pm »

Is is a great idea in fact, and fit well into the lore. I think things should stay as it is in fortress mode - short as it is it could bring great FUN to a fortress, as bombzero said.
However in adventure mode something has to be done.

*The were-creatures should be prone to rage like a badger is, and in case of enraging, they would transform until the danger would be dealt with;
*They should live in lairs only if discovered, like when vampires are exposed and flee; maybe disguising themselves and changing location instead of fleeing to a lair.
*As the creatures they change into are randomized in world gen, some of them should change in moon phases other than the full moon;
*Were-creatures should ambush players when changed (maybe this happens already, I don't know);

Rampages should happen in play, to give the chance to the player to defend hamlets (a possible quest would be to guard a hamlet close to the full moon), but I think this will have to wait the Release 5.

The ambushing is a great idea. If you happen to be travelling the wilds at night during a full moon then a percentage chance of being amushed by a werecreature would be an excellent addition. Perhaps even allow werecreatures to band together and hunt an adventuring party.  Consider making the percentage chance of an ambush increase depending on how famous your character is as the more famous your character the bigger threat to the werecreature your character becomes.

Burmalay

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry for my English
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 08:15:07 pm »

I think there is no need to change werecreatures but the new type of lycanthropy can be added witch can turn into animals in other kind of conditions.

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 09:52:19 am »

I like the idea of enraged infected transforming into their werecreature-form, but i'd like to expand on that with the MEMORY, FOCUS and WILLPOWER attributes:

A werecreature with an astonishing MEMORY will remember their love for their family and friends when transformed, and consequently not maul them.
A werecreature with an unbreakable FOCUS will not be distracted by bystanders when it's chasing/mauling a target.
And a werecreature with an unbreakable WILL will be able to stay in control of their actions after transforming, and older werecreatures might even be able to change at will.

(i'm already considering an army of werecreature supersoldiers)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:11:13 pm by Adrian »

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 12:13:05 pm »

Good idea but I'd rather say dwarves with really hight focus won't get distracted by dwarves when mauling goblins, whether or not they attack their own probably depends on will and whether or not he transforms not during the full moon could be governed by mix of anger, emotionality and immoderation. However this is something we're not getting soon as personality rewrite is coming someday and new features directly based on old systems are unlikely to get in.

I think there is no need to change werecreatures but the new type of lycanthropy can be added witch can turn into animals in other kind of conditions.
You know, I wouldn't mind that if some people really enjoy what weres currently are, the poin of this thread is: since the weres are featured funbringers in this release they should bring fun
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Adrian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 02:55:40 pm »

.. dwarves with really high focus won't get distracted when mauling goblins ..
Smart, i'm editing that into my post.

Also,
.. new features directly based on old systems are unlikely to get in.
Which is why i will start preaching about modularity in Dorf Fort's design. If Dorf Fort's framework stays modular it wouldn't matter how old the systems are, the pieces can be updated as they require updates or even be removed and exchanged for a completely different, better piece.
And i'm going to shut up about that now because i don't want to derail the thread with it.

Anyways, once personalities and mental attributes kick in, the werecreatures might actually feel bad about their nocturnal killing sprees and waking up covered in the blood of their families.
In fact, once the werecreatures get fleshed out a bit more, all we'll need to do would be to mod in some escalators to create a movie we'll call 'A Dwarven Werelizard in the Human Capital'.

Sabreur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2012, 02:18:07 pm »

Werewolves have a great potential of fun but in a state they're now, they can't even annoy.
In a fortress mode, transformation is too short. They usually make it to the entrance then turn into human and are all like "oh, hell, I've forgotten to turn off the oven at home! Got to go, bye!"
In an adventure, transformation is too rare, player has to wait for weeks to fight a beast not a naked peasant.

Sorry for the necro - the suggestion forum guidelines said to look for existing threads before posting a new one.

A lot of the suggestions posted here make sense, although some seem like too much of a change.  Personally, I'd like to see a few things happen:
  • Transformations that last a month instead of a few days.  It's hard to feel threatened when a werecreature shows up when you know they'll just run off the map a few seconds after you unpause.
  • Much better ambushers, to the point their presence generally isn't announced until they are literally standing at your front door.  Think Kobold Thieves, only instead of going for your artifact socks they're after your spleen.
  • When in combat, they don't transform back.  So fighting effectively extends their transformation.  This would be a nice way to keep them from turning into easily-dispatched peasants in the middle of a fight.
  • As an alternative to combat extending transformations, make it so that bloodshed extends the transformation.  A werecreature that eats an elven caravan might stay in werecreature form for months or even years, forcing you to sally out and deal with it.  Again, this would be a good way to keep them from turning too early, and still fits in with the 'uncontrollable rage beast' image.
  In theory, you could get a werecreature that has killed so many people that it is permanently in its were-form.
[/list]

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2013, 03:51:25 am »

Sorry for another necro, but here are already some fine suggestions.

I thought of making three stages of  the werebeast curse.
The first stage would be the regular one we've got:
The cursed peasant transforms into a werebeast every full moon.
Now he is able to reach the second state! When he manages to kill (for example) at least 3 sentient beings the gods will grant him the transformation in dangerous situations (i.e extreme pain, high blood loss) AND being "enraged at all enemies" would have a chance for a transfomation, too!

Now the third stage would obviously be a transformation at will (which then could be found at acquired powers)! To achieve that, one either has to kill a vampire in beastform (to rally up the whole vampire vs. lycantropes war!) or maybe just kill a few more sentient beings!

What do you think?
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2013, 06:25:59 am »

Werebeastism is a curse, not a boon. Seems strange the Gods would aid you for you killing others, including their followers.
The vampire vs werebeast thing is an arbitrary war mostly inspired by modern fiction, and hence not something I support. Why would there be any hate between them, or why would it strengthen them.

Seems like a mostly useless arbitrary systems as well as rather annoying and gamey.

assasin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2013, 07:27:35 am »

Now he is able to reach the second state! When he manages to kill (for example) at least 3 sentient beings the gods will grant him the transformation in dangerous situations (i.e extreme pain, high blood loss) AND being "enraged at all enemies" would have a chance for a transfomation, too!

Now the third stage would obviously be a transformation at will (which then could be found at acquired powers)! To achieve that, one either has to kill a vampire in beastform (to rally up the whole vampire vs. lycantropes war!) or maybe just kill a few more sentient beings!

What do you think?

to artificial for my tastes.

Personally I'd prefer the exact powers to be random for first generation. But anyone they attack will inherit the set of powers. ANd of course there'd be a massive range, transform at will, transform when stressed, transform at full moon, beastman, full animal, giant animal, or a combination of these. History has a lot more than western werewolves. Kitsune, the various greeks like arachne [though those transformations were pemranent, they were still people cursed into animals by gods, could be an option if you really piss a god off], etc.

That said I'm not against werebeast increase in abilities. But it should be based more on time/experience. Not arbritrary slaughter

Crabs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2013, 07:32:55 am »

Werebeastism is a curse, not a boon. Seems strange the Gods would aid you for you killing others, including their followers.
The vampire vs werebeast thing is an arbitrary war mostly inspired by modern fiction, and hence not something I support. Why would there be any hate between them, or why would it strengthen them.

Seems like a mostly useless arbitrary systems as well as rather annoying and gamey.

Losing sanity and suffring lust for living flesh still seems pritty cursey to me. Especially when talking about adventure mode, vampirism and lycantropy should have negative AND positive aspects. Becoming a vampire is somehow too easy. It should either be more difficult pr it should have more downsides (damage in the sun for example). In this thread, there has already been stated that werebeasts are pretty useless at the moment and therefore I suggest buffing them or at least giving the player a reason for trying this game experience.

Plus, where does it say the gods have to be good? Using a cursed being as a tool for their incomprehensible desires does not seem too unlikely to me. The vampires vs. werebeast really is a matter of taste, though. I'm only used to a conflict between them. In another thread, I read about a suggestion for vampire clans (people you infect as a vampire will be considered family members, thus you can found clans). An undergound war between beasts  and vampires would be nice next to the wars between two civs.

What do you think?

to artificial for my tastes.

Personally I'd prefer the exact powers to be random for first generation. But anyone they attack will inherit the set of powers. ANd of course there'd be a massive range, transform at will, transform when stressed, transform at full moon, beastman, full animal, giant animal, or a combination of these. History has a lot more than western werewolves. Kitsune, the various greeks like arachne [though those transformations were pemranent, they were still people cursed into animals by gods, could be an option if you really piss a god off], etc.

That said I'm not against werebeast increase in abilities. But it should be based more on time/experience. Not arbritrary slaughter

Thanks and agreed. I just searched for possible solutions and wanted to raise the awarness on this branch of DF again.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 07:35:44 am by Crabs »
(\/) (*o*) (\/)

Mister Crabby the Pincers of Stabbing?

Vlad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2013, 10:14:18 am »

I would rather have time in Dwarf Fortress mode changed instead so it doesn't take them a month to get to your Fortress from the map's edge in the first place. Either creatures should be able to move faster in Fort mode or time should slow down just so creature movement speed and time are more syncronized like in adventure mode.
Pages: 1 [2] 3