Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25

Author Topic: Oh cool we will live in a science fiction world someday after all  (Read 61345 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Oh cool we will live in a science fiction world someday after all
« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2012, 11:45:38 pm »

I imagine by the time we have flying cars we'll also have automatic transit networks.

Oh god... this is a morbid prediction, since I expect it will be at least 500 years before America will get around to organizing decent public transit.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 23, 2012, 11:54:27 pm »

Oh come on, this country isn't even 500 years old.  Our current hatred of public transit won't last forever.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 23, 2012, 11:55:18 pm »

Given the level of efficiency and accident prevention that an automated network would bring? I don't see the government ignoring something that valuable. They're stupid, but they're not that stupid.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 23, 2012, 11:56:28 pm »

I don't think efficiency even enters into the thought process.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 23, 2012, 11:56:56 pm »

Given the level of efficiency and accident prevention that an automated network would bring? I don't see the government ignoring something that valuable. They're stupid, but they're not that stupid.

That would cost a ton of money. They're cheap, and they are that cheap.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2012, 12:00:27 am »

Oh come on, this country isn't even 500 years old.  Our current hatred of public transit won't last forever.

Exactly.  I thought I made the number large enough to be recognizable as hyperbole :P
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2012, 12:02:41 am »

That would cost a ton of money. They're cheap, and they are that cheap.
I don't think it would ultimately cost that much at all. It's reliant upon computers, which are cheap and getting cheaper all the time. That's probably the only reason we don't have one already.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 24, 2012, 12:12:03 am »

Inb4 the tech behind it becomes so small that all glasses are banned in schools in the US.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 24, 2012, 12:16:31 am »

I just hope to see a space elevator in my lifetime.
Space Elevator is probably going to eventually happen. We have the basis of the technology to construct one. We have the engineering capability, and understanding, even the materiels. We just lack a way to industrially produce the materiels we need.

That said, Japan has a fellowship which is dedicated about constructing a space elevator.

If they're worth a crap, you won't feel them unless your eyes are incredibly dry. If the contact they had with the eyes were noticeable, it'd drive everyone wearing them right out of their gourd in short order. Getting them in can be a bit of an ordeal though :-\

That said... cyber-eyes, man, Cyber-eyes. I want my built in HUD. But! Contact lenses would be okay, too. We're probably getting closer, really...
Cyber-Eyes exist, but I'm having issue finding the articles on them. I'm probably just using the wrong key words. But they're very crappy, and black and white. They also only work for those that lost their eye sight through trauma.

Well, I suppose that this new technology, like flying cars and jet-packs, the technology will exist but will be strictly forbidden by law.
Flying Cars and Jet Packs aren't illegal. Jet Packs are considered Ultralights. Which means that you dont need an FAA licenses to operate it, though you'd be stupid to operate one without training.

I imagine by the time we have flying cars we'll also have automatic transit networks.

Oh god... this is a morbid prediction, since I expect it will be at least 500 years before America will get around to organizing decent public transit.
Public Transportation is regional. In Cali we have a plethora of great public transportation. For Cali: The Orange County Transportation Authority, Metrolink, MTA for Los Angles, the Trolley system for San Francisco, the Bay Area Rail Transport, and East Kern County Express. This is just a list of public transportion that I've personally used for years. OCTA is so awesome, and cheap, that I didnt feel a need to learn how to drive. It went everywhere, every half an hour and some lines ran nearly 24 hours.

There are bad ones, like Antelope Valley Transportation Authority.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 24, 2012, 12:21:18 am »

Oh I know there are places in the U.S. with good public transportation, but they're mainly the few biggest/riches cities and some notable exceptions besides.  Indianapolis has almost nothing worth mentioning.  Here you're just plain screwed if you can't drive.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:24:02 am by SalmonGod »
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 24, 2012, 12:25:26 am »

Kern County public transportation services just rural towns.

The one I particularly named goes from Bakersfield, Ca to Lancaster, Ca. It cost is just a dollar a city. (As in Mojave to Lancaster is 2 dollars. Mojave to Bakersfield is 3 dollars.)

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 24, 2012, 12:36:53 am »

Buses in Michigan? Home of a bunch of the biggest US automakers?

Pfffff....baaahahahahaha!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 24, 2012, 12:36:58 am »

Well California is just awesome  :)

It's highly likely that any job I might eventually get in my field will have me moving out there.

My whole state sucks.  Rural Indiana is completely devoid of any form of public transport.  Indianapolis has a single bus service that's only useful for people inside the city.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 24, 2012, 12:47:35 am »

A friend of mine that lives outside of Sacromento, has shitty public transportation.

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 24, 2012, 01:24:10 am »

I've ridden the public transit in California.  It didn't exactly blow me away in terms of coverage or quality.  Yes the San Fran cable cars were very nice, but they were also packed to the gills and we had to wait for a few cars to be able to fit.

I read some study a while back that decided that place with the best public transit in the US was D.C.  This was a bit of a surprise to D.C. residents because everyone in the city loves to bitch and moan about Metro.  On the other hand Washington post did a poll where they asked city visitors what they thought of Metro and the results were enthusiastic praise.  That kinda surprised residents.
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 25