Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 149

Author Topic: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 14 Signup - TT S6, SF  (Read 261016 times)

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 12 Week 1 - TT S5, W1
« Reply #1980 on: May 05, 2015, 08:44:52 pm »

First match of the Training league has reached a thrilling 0 - 0 draw between Waldenhof Wrestlers and Monk's Mjolnir Makers!

Most of the match can be summed up by saying Silent Thunder couldn't break my D, but I couldn't finish drives. Thunder nearly had a breakaway in the first half before it was contained by speedy Norse Runners, while the Norse offense was undone by poor positioning and an overreliance on Blitzes from team Yhetee Hephaestus the Lame, who went Wild three times. He shed that moniker pretty quickly by smashing up a lineman and killing a Human Blitzer.

A random lineman levels up for the Norse, while the Human Thrower Toejam caught MVP for the other guys. A draw isn't a loss, and at least there's some SPP to be found; hopefully the Yhetee gets his last CAS quickly to level up!

EDIT: Yeah, full league is probably a good place to upload them.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: May 05, 2015, 08:58:25 pm »

I will point out the Blitzer who died had a brother on the team (It's Billy and Jimmy Lee from Double Dragons), so the goblin coach next round should be wary. The Dragon is out for blood.  :P

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: May 05, 2015, 09:25:50 pm »

Full league is fine, since most training league teams end up there anyways.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: May 08, 2015, 03:21:08 pm »

The Sickly Soldiers 0-1 We move for nobody

Not really feeling like giving a play by play this time, so this will be quick. It was a pretty standstill game, mostly fought in the center field. One of my hobgoblins managed to get the ball across the endzone in the second half, but mostly the game went *block* *defender down* *player gets back up* *rinse and repeat*

One rotter got injured with a broken back and something else, I assume they'll be getting sacked before next game. Apart from that a few KOs but no injuries...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: May 08, 2015, 05:53:09 pm »

Cript's Korinch Crew 0-3 Broad Street Broads

Game summery: Sorry to the rest of the league for giving the whole amazon team blodge from the start. XOXOXO -Love, Cript.

(Ouch)

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: May 08, 2015, 05:58:11 pm »

Amazons good team, 10/10 would (and often do) recommend.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: May 08, 2015, 06:05:31 pm »

So I've sat in on at least a few of the new player games this season, and I've been seeing a lot of the very common new player mistakes being made. As a result I compiled a list here of some basic tips that new players might not be aware of, as well as a list of articles that are very good reads (seriously, I spent most of my first season losing horribly, and I got loads better after just having looked at some of these articles). Hopefully these should at least help out our new players, I'll put the tips first, and then the articles in order of importance. Read them, skim them, push your head against the screen in hopes of absorbing their knowledge, but at least look at them, it's a huge help.

Important things new players might not know (in no particular order):
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Essential articles to read:
One Die Blocks (When to do them, When to not)
Very helpful articles to read:
Cage Basics
Cage Breaking
2-1 Grind (If you are a bashy team)
Moderately helpful articles to read:
Marking Players
Rerolls
Kicking or Receiving
2-1 Grind (If you are a elfy team)
Helpful if you are playing/playing against the listed team
How to Beat Elves
How to Beat Dwarves
Helpful when your players level up:
Player level up guides (Except Khorne Daemons, I have a different guide for them if you need it)

While playing Blood Bowl still requires at least some experience to fully get the game down, you can get a huge leg up on experienced players (or experienced players can become even more so) by checking out those articles. I even still usually skim the "How to Beat X" articles right before playing against one of those teams, or review some of the other articles if I'm having trouble against a particular strategy. BBtactics also has some nifty percentage tables for various things (like block roll chances) that are very helpful to have open during a game as well.

It might seem like a lot to take in, but read those and your season will be that much more enjoyable, I guarantee it. :D
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:40:26 pm by i2amroy »
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: May 08, 2015, 06:29:22 pm »

3) Dodging needs an AGI roll. The amount you need to roll is determined by 7 - AGI + Number of tackle zones you are dodging into (if it's for a pass/catch it's the number you are currently standing in). This means that a 3 AGI person will fail on a dodge into no tackle zones 50% of the time. Dodging into tackle zones raises the chance of you failing pretty drastically.

You add a +1 when dodging (but a natural 1 still fails.) AG1 fails 66% of the time, and 44% of the time with a reroll. AG2 fails 50%/25%. AG3 33%/11%. AG4 16%/3%. AG5 does not dodge into nothing any better than AG4 players, but can effectively ignore the first TZ. AG6 players can effectively ignore two TZs. There is no benefit beyond AG6, so your ST7 Deathroller doesn't break tackles any better than an ST6 Treeman or AG6 wardancer statfreak. (p.s. foul any AG6 wardancer statfreaks you find.)

Picking up the ball, and catching it (from accurate passes/handoffs) also provides a +1 to the roll, so these percentages work there too. Leap and other forms of catching (inaccurate passes, kickoffs, dropped balls) don't receive a +1, and passes receive progressively worse modifiers depending upon pass distance.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 06:37:24 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 Blood Bowl League - Season 12 Week 1 - TT S5, W2
« Reply #1988 on: May 08, 2015, 06:37:26 pm »

A good catch, was basically working from memory there so I'm not surprised I missed something. :P

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: May 08, 2015, 06:50:26 pm »

Any advice on how to spend about 1,000,000 in inducements? I have this game coming up and it might be important...

THE_SLAYA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: May 08, 2015, 06:52:35 pm »

Wowza, we burned through that training league week.

Week Two Training league match-ups are:
i2amroy - Vorpal Vampires vs MrRoboto75 - Mr Bone's Wild Team
Kanil - Broad Street Broads vs monk12 - Monk's Mjolner Makers
THE_SLAYA - SLAYA'S STRÖNGHAMMERS vs Aslandus - We move for nobody
Criptfeind - Cript's Korinch Crew vs Kansa - The Sickly Soldiers
Sinistar - Da Grin Party vs Silent_Thunder - Waldenhof Wrestlers

I'll be advancing the league at the same time as the main league. Let me know if there are any scheduling issues

In response to how to spend all your inducements, I'd get wizards, remove their rerolls, get your own rerolls, maybe some Star Players, etc.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: May 08, 2015, 07:15:09 pm »

Any advice on how to spend about 1,000,000 in inducements? I have this game coming up and it might be important...

All of your star players are pretty solid choices, having either block or wrestle. In particular you have a 220k guy with block and strip ball, he's really helpful and you'll probably see him a lot this season.

300k gets you a halfling master chef, and for another 100k you can deny your opponent a reroll. If your opponent doesn't have many rerolls to begin with, then stacking these two could easily cause them to play with just one or even no rerolls. Conversely, if the HMC fails and your opponent gets a kickoff RR, you could be spending 400k on basically nothing.

Wizards are comparatively cheap, and always helpful. Lightning bolts can kick the ball free, which can turn a touchdown against into a touchdown for, which in many cases can win you a game right there. Timed poorly, a lightning bolt just knocks the carrier down and someone else picks it up and they continue on. Fireballs require some luck, but can really apply a lot of hurt quickly if you roll well.

You have three rerolls, more is always helpful, but they might not be 100k helpful. Keep in mind the HMC gives you the RRs it takes from your opponent, so don't get HMC and rerolls for yourself.

Added non-star players typically isn't as good as adding star players, but you can give them a skill for 50k, and ghouls start with dodge, meaning you can get a blodge ghoul for 140k (I think?) Given your opponent doesn't have any tackle, this might be annoying -- probably less annoying than a star player though, so only consider it if you've gotten some stuff and have left over money.

Stat potions are great when they work, but should really only be used on your skilled players... which you don't really have any of, yet. Going from 3 to 4 is more significant than going from 5 to 6, or 1 to 2, so look to potion wights and ghouls over zombies and mummies.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: May 08, 2015, 07:45:31 pm »

Assuming we're talking about your Undead against the Wood Elves in Main...

Wizard: 150k
Halfling Master Chef: 300k
Star Player Count Luthor von Drakenborg: 390k

is 840k in Inducement monies, and what I'd spend without even looking at either roster. The Star Kanil mentioned is Setekh and quite good for his price, but I feel like Elves recover pretty well from loose ball situations so the Strip Ball part of that wouldn't have as much benefit to me on a rookie Undead squad. If you want to play to win I'd use Luthor for ballcarrying on offense, though if the Fairys have a Strip Ball Wardancer (haven't looked, don't know) he won't hold the ball much better than a Ghoul so he may as well swing around hitting things.

What you spend the remainder on depends on how close to (or over) a million you are. If there's another Star Player that catches your eye then that's fine, Bloodweiser Babes never hurt anyone, a Bribe could greatly help an attrition strategy with some good fouling, putting your opponent in Reroll Hell can be fun if his dice are bad... I'm with Kanil on an extra reroll for you not being worth it along with the HMC, and the HMC is Bad Habits and Extra Rerolls all in one. If you think the Elves have a lot of reroll-granting skills like Block and Dodge and such that would mitigate Operation Reroll Hell then you could trade in the HMC for an extra reroll for you and then another Star or something. Stat potions are fun when they work and can be worth it if you otherwise have a plan in place, but obviously don't always work. If you go that route then ST for the Wights and AG for the Ghouls would be the biggest immediate difference in a game.

If it was me I'd probably take the Bribes and try the murderkill strategy, but then again I'd probably lose. Nothing to be discouraged about if you do, it's a tough matchup against a good coach, so I'd just be keen to see how he goes about winning for himself/defeating me in order to plan for the inevitable rematch (hopefully on more even footing.)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: May 08, 2015, 08:37:45 pm »

THE GREAT DEKU TREE IS DEAD! ALL HAIL THE GREAT DEKU SPROUT!

So the Great Deku Tree bit it from Ramtut during the match (after I had used the apothecary on one of my doubles guard linemen). Game ended 3-0, mostly due to the outrageous elfy plays that the strip ball +AGI Wardancer kept pulling off despite the total lack of rerolls, combined with a fair bit of armor breaking in favor of the Faeries.

In other news Na'vi leveled up again and picked up Jump Up, making her probably the most mobile player in the league hands down. Also one of my vampires leveled and picked up +AGI, making him quite the stated character.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: May 08, 2015, 08:39:18 pm »

The game was actually scheduled for ten minutes after I posted, so I was a little late on asking for advice, but good stuff for next time. I ended up going with Star players ramtut and... eh... the skeleton guy whose name I can't remember... I also got the halfling master chef (which paid off, the second half it stole all of the FF's rerolls) but neglected to get wizard... As you can see, it didn't end up going great for me, though it was more likely user error/bad luck than bad inducement choices...

The first half had most of the scoring happen, I chose to recieve and the elves broke my line twice and scored. The second half they scored once and most of the casualties happened.

The interesting part (injuries): The great deku tree is dead (apothecary was used to save a lineman with guard), and one of my ghouls got a broken back (no apothecaries for the undead). Those are the most significant injuries, there were some badly hurt and some KOs but those are the ones that will likely affect future matches.
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 149