Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Evil biome ‼SCIENCE‼.  (Read 13041 times)

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Evil biome ‼SCIENCE‼.
« on: February 21, 2012, 04:19:21 pm »

Original thread:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hello fellow Dorf murderers abusers Overseers!

I have been playing around with and studying the latest release, primarily the additions to evil regions. I have attempted fortresses in these regions before, but they have failed miserably.

However, I have decided to contribute to the ‼SCIENCE‼ surrounding the undead and evil regions. I will catalog the theory, the person who originally brought it forth, and the amount of supporters.

Rules for proving ‼SCIENTIFIC‼ facts:

1.) If three people support an idea, it it classified as fact.

2.) If somebody puts forth evidence of a fact being untrue, then it becomes a theory once more and more testing is required.

3.) If a theory is proven untrue by evidence, it is either removed or added in its inverse form.

Proven ‼SCIENTIFIC‼ information:

1.) Zombie kobolds still have their lock-picking ability and trap-avoid (Broseph Stalin) (Di) (Kilroy the Grand)

‼SCIENTIFIC‼ theories so far:

1.) Child animals become adults when raised. (Sting_Auer) () ()

2.) Undead fliers do fly even if their wings are rotted to the point that the should be unusable. (Sting_Auer) (lilGumanX) ()

3.) Undead fliers can fly even if their wings are REMOVED (Sting_Auer) () ()

4.) Zombies are magma proof. (sjaakwortel) () ()

5.) vermin remains cannot be raised. (Sting_Auer) () ()

Current ‼SCIENTIFIC‼ questions: (Note: Others can confirm these as well!):

1.) Test whether or not all young animals become adults when raised.

2.) See if raised fliers can fly even with their wings removed.

3.) Test the lock-picking ability of zombie kobolds.

4.) Test if zombie animals still ignore elves, and test if zombie elves are still animal immune.

5.) find out what type of damage is best against zombies. (blunt, piercing, slashing, etc.)

6.) Do poison rains affect zombies?

7.) Are the undead immune to fire/lava?

!!SCIENTIFIC!! Tips on fighting the zombie hordes:

1.) Sometimes you should become them to fight them

Pics cuz it happened.
Spoiler: Chamber of Eternity (click to show/hide)
This is the layout, sorry about the miasma I forgot to move the body before I made the well. At the left end in the center of the path there's a well you can't see, underneath it there's a repeating spike on which is impaled the body of a known vampire. The well was filled post-stabbing so it's got all that bloody goodness.
Spoiler: Bucket of Eternity (click to show/hide)
This is what you want to see, if you don't see this when you examine the bucket you didn't get good water and you'll either have to rebuild the well or wait for it to be exhausted and refilled.
Spoiler: End Result (click to show/hide)
After drinking the blood the dwarf will immediately be recognizable as a vampire, they don't seem to be treated any differently for it.

I was going to make another thread about it but the idea of using a tainted well is already all over the place.

2.) warhammers. Other weapons will dismember, then the extra limbs will come to life as well.

3.) Always assume that they will kick your butt unless you attack them perfectly.

4.) Do not let them inside.

5.) If you have let them inside, evacuate if a second person gets killed. Optionally leave a squad behind to attempt a reclaim.

6.) ALWAYS EMBARK WITH A MILITARY. This is very important, as you will NEED to defend your dorfs while they set up a home.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 06:55:58 pm by Sting_Auer »
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The Fortress of Urnloved: Surviving the undead horde.
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 04:20:51 pm »

I also made a 5 tile long, 1 tile wide entry hallway to make it harder for stuff to get inside.

And harder to escape. Heed these warnings, for they may prevent your doom a while longer.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 04:23:01 pm »

I also made a 5 tile long, 1 tile wide entry hallway to make it harder for stuff to get inside.

And harder to escape. Heed these warnings, for they may prevent your doom a while longer.

Wait... but if the stuff gets inside, aren't I already as good as dead?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Molay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 04:23:18 pm »

Sir, I know that design.
A single entry is not good. Once something is inside, you're pretty much doomed.
I'll try doing a similar design now, with a single difference: I wall off the entrance!
The best alternative to having a functional steel industry is to have a really, really, really good hospital. And a lot of coffins.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 04:24:18 pm »

Some things, yes, which is why you need an exit strategy, or a lockdown lever.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 04:34:58 pm »

Some things, yes, which is why you need an exit strategy, or a lockdown lever.

Perhaps an emergency back door? A bunker with some backup food and weapons?

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 04:55:20 pm »

just so people know, I am updating the OP when I make a new entry. I'm not posting it in a new post.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 05:10:13 pm »

The fortress died...

The dwarves were being completely twits, wouldn't do the jobs they needed to, and got themselves killed. Essentially, they did what they normally do. Not sure what I should do at this point.

Feb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 06:16:03 pm »

Depends on how serious you want your fortress to be, there's a lot of stuff need done.

Here's some of the !!SCIENCE!! of my own that'd help on embark

Always, ALWAYS, bring at least 28 logs (preferably cedar), no axe and 7 picks (or as much as possible)
Depending on your initial starting position, you should either shack up or channel+roof, everyone must contribute as soon as you unpause, it's a race against time.
Flying Undeads will usually mean your fort is dead
Only train/bring Hammerers/Macemen, Axelords are good at the beginning, that's until you get sieged.  At that point, your axelords will be spawning more zombies quite rapidly leading to your doom.
Use a two tiered spoke and wheel design for underground passage leading to the surface if you plan on receiving migrants/caravans.  Mine ended up looking like a big spiderweb.
Isolate and seal off/dispose of all pets and pet owners/failed moods, these include your starting beasts of burden.
Plan for an Inner Sanctum, cage trap is your best friend when your first line of defense is breached.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 06:32:49 pm »

My intention WAS to wall off the entrance, but it never seemed to happen. My dorfs were being too retarded for it to work -.-

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 06:58:29 pm »

For dealing with the scary-kitten zombie pit; would it have been possible to build a bridge that anchored far enough away that the dwarf building it wouldn't be able to see into the pit, but the bridge is long enough that it covers the pit when it's complete?

Also: Bridges block line of sight, right?

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 07:10:18 pm »

For dealing with the scary-kitten zombie pit; would it have been possible to build a bridge that anchored far enough away that the dwarf building it wouldn't be able to see into the pit, but the bridge is long enough that it covers the pit when it's complete?

Also: Bridges block line of sight, right?

That is actually a great idea! I'll be sure to incorporate this.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Re: Evil biome ‼SCIENCE‼.
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 09:21:23 pm »

I have repurposed this thread into a general discussion on evil biome ‼SCIENCE‼. Post your discoveries here as well please!

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 09:32:03 pm »

If you have fatal rain you have lost. All of your migrants will die, all of the caravans will die, you will never be able to do anything outside even if it looks safe.

My zombie pits feature a floor hatch controlled by a lever outside of the room. Bodies are dumped on top of it and a lever is pulled to drop them in. It keeps your dorves from getting scared by the zombies that can't touch them.

FUCK KOBOLDS! Kobold zombies can still unlock doors if you have a kobold corpse in your fortress be very careful about where you store it.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 09:37:58 pm »

If you have fatal rain you have lost. All of your migrants will die, all of the caravans will die, you will never be able to do anything outside even if it looks safe.

My zombie pits feature a floor hatch controlled by a lever outside of the room. Bodies are dumped on top of it and a lever is pulled to drop them in. It keeps your dorves from getting scared by the zombies that can't touch them.

FUCK KOBOLDS! Kobold zombies can still unlock doors if you have a kobold corpse in your fortress be very careful about where you store it.

Oh my, zombie kobold...

it seems that pits are pretty much required then. No zombie vaults allowed?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7