No
- 2 (9.5%)
Get more info
- 11 (52.4%)
Delay with no action
- 1 (4.8%)

Total Members Voted: 21

Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 117

Author Topic: Terraforming: Suggestion Game  (Read 360444 times)

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
Re: Terraforming: Suggestion Game
« Reply #975 on: April 01, 2012, 01:46:48 pm »

>Just stop the asteroid with our ship.It should me more than enough.
>Begin research on Nanoaugmentation ala Deus Ex

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
  • Or I'll cut ya to dust.
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: April 01, 2012, 01:56:12 pm »

Let's nuke it. We can make a better nuke building plant later and any fallout would be to far strewn to cause any real harm. Plus it is sure fire.
Go back see if he's there and run him over, and drink his gun!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: April 01, 2012, 02:00:59 pm »

What about if it cracks in half and the irradiated pieces cause even more damage?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: April 01, 2012, 02:04:21 pm »

What would the irradiated pieces do? Most radioactive materiel has a half life of 7 seconds or significantly shorter. Plus it will burn in atmosphere and be spread veeerrry thinly in ocean that we don't use. Our problems will be absolutely completely no doubt gone in 4 or 6 months if there are any.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: April 01, 2012, 02:07:19 pm »

If it does not crack into small enough pieces then they may not burn in the atmosphere.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: April 01, 2012, 02:08:33 pm »

Why not have the sentries ready to blow up any tiny chunks?

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: April 01, 2012, 02:13:03 pm »

Because, we have no gaurentee that it will break into small enough pieces to use the sentries.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: April 01, 2012, 02:17:36 pm »

Our explosive is of the highest yield we can manage. It would turn the asteroid to sand or if not that, slow it's entry or change it's course depending on where we hit it at. The nuke is the best option.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: April 01, 2012, 02:20:37 pm »

Let's prepare the nuke as a backup plan. I would much prefer to harvest the minerals safely first.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: April 01, 2012, 02:20:55 pm »

No the ship is the best option.The nuke can make things worse.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: April 01, 2012, 02:22:39 pm »

I don't think you guys know how a nuke works. Eh. Whatever. I'm just ready for the next update. If you are confident that we can mine it to harmlessness then I support that idea. I doubt it will be any interesting elements though.

Mr. Palau

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: April 01, 2012, 02:26:46 pm »

He said 2 months, so about 2 turns worth. And our ship is more a transport than a war ship, we'd have to retro-fit the thing. And grav force dont work like that, its travelling to fast to be affected. I think nukes the best option
The speed it is traveling would really just make it more difficult for us to get to the asteroid in time and keep up with it, which isn't really a problem if we can go FTL or at least considerably high STL. The idea is to shift the forward momentum of the asteroid slightly in another direction so it misses the planet, and even if the gravitational force applied is small and the object is traveling fast then the trajectory will still change greatly over time because we will be able to redirect the momentum.

What is crucial is the size of the object and the size of the ship, as that controls the level of gravitational force you will be able to exercise on the object and the diffuculty of redirecting it's momentum, the GM has stated our ship is large enough, and if it two months away that is plenty of time for a large ship to subtly influence a large asteroid, but he also said it could fail so we should do the below instead.

Let's nuke it. We can make a better nuke building plant later and any fallout would be to far strewn to cause any real harm. Plus it is sure fire.
Well the problem with the nuke is that it could just break the asteroid into smaller chunks that could still maintain the forward momentum of larger asteroid. Position the ship so that we can launch the nuke in such a way that it hits the asteroid head on, hopefully negating most its forward momentum. Then to make sure it doesn't hit the planet move the ship to side of the asteroid chunks and use gravity to nudge them off course.
This would be considerably easier than the larger asteroid due to the reduced mass of the chunks.

What would the irradiated pieces do? Most radioactive materiel has a half life of 7 seconds or significantly shorter. Plus it will burn in atmosphere and be spread veeerrry thinly in ocean that we don't use. Our problems will be absolutely completely no doubt gone in 4 or 6 months if there are any.
No it ussually blows up into other smaller asteriods that could still make it through the atmosphere, if it where a asteroid that could destroy a planet. Even if they were small enoung to burn up in the atmosphere, if the fragments weren't knocked off couse, we would face a scenerio of the smaller asteroids lighting the atmospehre around their combined impact area on fire, obviously destroying much of the wildlife.

The mining is just impractical, the asteroid is most likely useless space junk and it would take too long.

The nuke, ship, combo is best because it avoids all the negatives of using a nuke and would insure that the asteroid doesn't imapct the planet, if we fail one roll we have another chance.
you can't just go up to people and get laid.

Gotdamnmiracle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: April 01, 2012, 02:35:24 pm »

No it ussually blows up into other smaller asteriods that could still make it through the atmosphere, if it where a asteroid that could destroy a planet. Even if they were small enoung to burn up in the atmosphere, if the fragments weren't knocked off couse, we would face a scenerio of the smaller asteroids lighting the atmospehre around their combined impact area on fire, obviously destroying much of the wildlife.

I was addressing the radioactive chunks fear. Just the irradiated pieces. I think your comment is misplaced. And obviously I would want to place the nuke where it would be the most effective. I thought that was assumed.

Alright let's do it. Mining it is kind of silly anyway.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: April 01, 2012, 02:39:37 pm »

We need to vote.
+1 for using the ship to push the asteroid away.

Deep Waters

• Bay Watcher
  • earth does break the things that we make
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: April 01, 2012, 02:40:03 pm »

+1 nuking
[23:14:34] <GameMaster> And so (...) a one-armed dwarf and a mage wearing a blanket walk into a tomb.
[23:14:42] <GameMaster> Sadly, that isn't a joke.

[20:42:03] <HailFire> our wizard tower just got smoked by projectile cats from space
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 117