Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Weapon Choice  (Read 3230 times)

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Choice
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 01:04:36 pm »

i'll have to disagree with rak here tho, if coper is the best you can find for a warhammer i'd keep the iron masterwork one, but if you did find a silver warhammer then go with that.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 01:11:52 pm »

Okay, so in my current adventure, I'm preparing to go on a raid into a Necromancer's tower, as soon as I complete my transformation into a vampire. After clearing the catacombs in the town I am in, I came up with a bit of an issue, namely, what combination of weapons to use.

At the moment, I'm carrying an <<Iron 2h Sword>>, -<<Silver Mace>>-, Silver Maul, and a Masterwork Iron Maul. The first I'm planning on keeping (for taking limbs off of dangerous living enemies and because I started with points in Swordsman). So my question is: what combination of the blunt weapons should I keep, and more specifically, is the masterwork quality enough to balance out the second maul being iron, rather than silver?

Iron has a density of 7.875 g/cm^3  and silver has a density of 10.49 g/cm^3
So the silver maul probably weighs 31.2% more than the iron one.
I don't know about the masterwork modifier though...
Hope this helps.

If i'm correct the masterwork modifier is x12.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 01:30:33 pm »

Okay, so in my current adventure, I'm preparing to go on a raid into a Necromancer's tower, as soon as I complete my transformation into a vampire. After clearing the catacombs in the town I am in, I came up with a bit of an issue, namely, what combination of weapons to use.

At the moment, I'm carrying an <<Iron 2h Sword>>, -<<Silver Mace>>-, Silver Maul, and a Masterwork Iron Maul. The first I'm planning on keeping (for taking limbs off of dangerous living enemies and because I started with points in Swordsman). So my question is: what combination of the blunt weapons should I keep, and more specifically, is the masterwork quality enough to balance out the second maul being iron, rather than silver?

Iron has a density of 7.875 g/cm^3  and silver has a density of 10.49 g/cm^3
So the silver maul probably weighs 31.2% more than the iron one.
I don't know about the masterwork modifier though...
Hope this helps.

that is correct, masterwork is x12,
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 04:22:44 pm »

So pretty much what I had figured: stick with the maul, levelling hammerman, until I happen across a silver warhammer with a quality modifier.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Knigel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 05:08:42 pm »

While silver and steel are the best blunt weapon materials, they're not much better than any metal. The difference between them is very very minuscule compared to the quality modifier.

that is correct, masterwork is x12,

No, that's the value modifier. The hit and damage modifier for masterwork quality is "just" x2--which is still really awesome.

Quality modifiers were in one previous version all powers of .2: regular was the standard x1, well-crafted was x1.2, finely-crafted x1.4, and so on until masterwork's x2, then it skips to x3 for artifacts.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 05:11:57 pm by Knigel »

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 05:33:47 pm »

mauls are poor weapons due mainy to the high level of strength need.
if you have the strength to get a maul up to full speed then you will find that there a great blunt weapon(i.e. crap at crowd control).

blunt weapons dont care about materials as much as cuting weapons.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 07:09:24 pm »

The fact maul has 5 times the contact area of mace but only bit over 150% of the mass is most likely big part of it. Mace and warhammer, at least, are equal in their contact area to mass ratio.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 07:16:20 pm »

The fact maul has 5 times the contact area of mace but only bit over 150% of the mass is most likely big part of it. Mace and warhammer, at least, are equal in their contact area to mass ratio.
This. If you've ever run trials of maul users against warhammer users, the warhammers will win pretty much every time.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Batmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 07:40:46 pm »

if you want to drop the zombies in 1 hit nearly every time i recommend a whip. I got spotted while sneaking in a room full of them, ran into a corner and proceeded to whip the closest zombies that were approaching.

It felt really heroic, and i survived, something i didn't expect.
See, I play as a highland lord, I light the torches its time for war, I'll ride through a rival town weilding a ball and chain made of spikes and thorns, or a longsword, with the hilt made out of a dinosaurs spinal chord, sharpened against a rhino's horn, when you swing it it sounds like a lions roar!
Pages: 1 [2]