Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Weapon Choice  (Read 3229 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Weapon Choice
« on: February 20, 2012, 09:39:54 am »

Okay, so in my current adventure, I'm preparing to go on a raid into a Necromancer's tower, as soon as I complete my transformation into a vampire. After clearing the catacombs in the town I am in, I came up with a bit of an issue, namely, what combination of weapons to use.

At the moment, I'm carrying an <<Iron 2h Sword>>, -<<Silver Mace>>-, Silver Maul, and a Masterwork Iron Maul. The first I'm planning on keeping (for taking limbs off of dangerous living enemies and because I started with points in Swordsman). So my question is: what combination of the blunt weapons should I keep, and more specifically, is the masterwork quality enough to balance out the second maul being iron, rather than silver?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Meistermoxx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon Choice
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 10:30:18 am »

Okay, so in my current adventure, I'm preparing to go on a raid into a Necromancer's tower, as soon as I complete my transformation into a vampire. After clearing the catacombs in the town I am in, I came up with a bit of an issue, namely, what combination of weapons to use.

At the moment, I'm carrying an <<Iron 2h Sword>>, -<<Silver Mace>>-, Silver Maul, and a Masterwork Iron Maul. The first I'm planning on keeping (for taking limbs off of dangerous living enemies and because I started with points in Swordsman). So my question is: what combination of the blunt weapons should I keep, and more specifically, is the masterwork quality enough to balance out the second maul being iron, rather than silver?

Iron has a density of 7.875 g/cm^3  and silver has a density of 10.49 g/cm^3
So the silver maul probably weighs 31.2% more than the iron one.
I don't know about the masterwork modifier though...
Hope this helps.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 10:33:59 am »

you should prolly ditch the 2 hander for an iron longsword, you get a really high disadvantage to your hit chance for using a 2 handed sword in just one hand.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 10:45:37 am »

you get a really high disadvantage to your hit chance for using a 2 handed sword in just one hand.

Never heard of that before. My understanding is that any weapon is wielded with multigrasp if you are too small to garsp it with single hand as determined by the numbers in the weapon raws. This confers no particular advantage over wielding a weapon in single hand, save that the stats of the two hander may (or may not, see mauls) be more desirable. If you are large enough to wield two handed weapon with single hand, then you get to do so for no disadvantage.

To put that in prespective, the regular spear, a single handed weapon for most Dwarves works as two hander for most Kobolds. There is no [TWO_HANDED] tag per se.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 10:52:44 am by Dwarfoloid »

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 10:48:16 am »

Masterwork offers a x2 to-hit and damage bonus, if I recall correctly. So YES, keep the masterwork iron. Where'd you get the masterwork weapon in adventure mode, by the way? I've never found a masterwork weapon in adventure mode save for old-fortress exploration, custom cheat reactions, or hidden underground structures.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 10:54:32 am »

you get a really high disadvantage to your hit chance for using a 2 handed sword in just one hand.

Never heard of that before. My understanding is that two handed weapon is wielded with multigrasp if you are too small to garsp it with single hand as determined by the numbers in the weapon raws. This confers no particular advantage over wielding a weapon in single hand, save that the stats of the two hander may (or may not, see mauls) be more desirable. If you are large enough to wield two handed weapon with single hand, then you get to do so for no disadvantage.

To put that in prespective, the regular spear, a single handed weapon for most Dwarves works as two hander for most Kobolds. There is no [TWO_HANDED] tag per se.

hmm well testing i did with dwarfs humans and elfs in the arena showed that people using the 2 handed weapon as intended did much better then those wielding a sock in the off hand, that was with them set to legendary fighter sword user.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 11:07:02 am »

hmm well testing i did with dwarfs humans and elfs in the arena showed that people using the 2 handed weapon as intended did much better then those wielding a sock in the off hand, that was with them set to legendary fighter sword user.

If true, it would also imply that a Koblod or Animal Man multigrasping a spear would be more effective than a Dwarf using it in his right hand.

Anyway, you can't ever multigrasp weapon if you are large enough to use it with one hand, even if you leave your off hand empty your chara will simply fight fencer style with the two-hander. Similarily, if you are too small you can't, ever, use the weapon with just one hand.

Forcing a sock in the off hand of someone who is multigrasping is similar to wielding 1 one hander and two shields.

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 11:13:16 am »

no, humans CAN multigrasp a 2 handed sword, if you have it on and the other hand it empty and you do something like travel and leave travel it will then show up as multigrasp instead of one handed, and just cus smaller things have to multigrasp larger weapons doesn't mean they will be more effective, it means they have to put more strength into it to even out the size disability with the weapon.

sock in offhand is nothing like multi-shield, it fills the offhand with something (mostly) useless in battle forcing them to use one hand on the weapon instead of both.

darklord1120

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 11:35:03 am »

I just read your comment like it on "whats happening in your adventure?" thread. I'd also vote for Masterwork iron maul, i've heard people say if something is Masterwork its always better then its upgraded material. (Iron masterwork beats Generic silver)

Dwarfoloid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 11:54:56 am »

Seems you are right about multigrasp, at least as far as adventurer mode goes. Ofc, since adventurers are always normal sized humans (and hence, below the two handed threshold of 2 handed sword) Arena needs to be used to test those tall, broad and fat humans who are above the two handed threshold.

Perhaps if you managed to get very fat on top of becoming very muscular, you could get above the two handed threshold in adventure mode too.

Additional problem is, what happens if you try to wield weapon but are below the minimum size requirement? This would be a big problem for avg. size and below Elfs, Dwarves and Gobbos trying to use the human two handers.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 11:59:16 am by Dwarfoloid »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 11:56:32 am »

Masterwork offers a x2 to-hit and damage bonus, if I recall correctly. So YES, keep the masterwork iron. Where'd you get the masterwork weapon in adventure mode, by the way? I've never found a masterwork weapon in adventure mode save for old-fortress exploration, custom cheat reactions, or hidden underground structures.

I cleared a catacomb; there was a Hammerlord down there that had it. Actually, there was also a Master Lasher with a masterwork iron shield, but when I cut his arm off it flew onto a statue and is unreachable. Also, thanks. I knew silver was the better material for blunt weapons, but I had forgotten the masterwork modifier.

Never heard of that before. My understanding is that two handed weapon is wielded with multigrasp if you are too small to garsp it with single hand as determined by the numbers in the weapon raws. This confers no particular advantage over wielding a weapon in single hand, save that the stats of the two hander may (or may not, see mauls) be more desirable. If you are large enough to wield two handed weapon with single hand, then you get to do so for no disadvantage.

I've never noticed reduced hits or damage for holding large weapons single-handed. As a matter of fact, I once had a dwarf adventurer who duelwielded 2h swords without any noticable penalties. Large weapons also have a substantial advantage against megabeasts, as smaller ones are usually unable to get clean cuts on limbs. (Of course, that was in a game with raws edited to make 2hs, greataxes, etc. small enough to be used 1-handed by small creatures...)

3. Run Resize Enable

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 12:06:18 pm »

also, i have found that mauls suck compared to warhammers.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 12:07:11 pm »

also from the testing i found that a longsword works better then a one handed 2 handed sword, i added 12 of each and 75% of the longswords won over the single grip 2 handers, when i made the 2 handers multigrasp they ended up winning 75% of the time tho. i'm assuming the 25%s are lucky shots.

and yea what RAK said, warhammer = awesomeness, its got a smaller contact point or something like that making it do much much more damage to that point.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 12:52:54 pm »

Yeah, but again, availability. I have a masterwork maul. The best warhammer I've seen thusfar was a plain copper one.

3. Run Resize Enable

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 01:01:21 pm »

i'd still go with the warhammer.

mauls really, really suck.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time
Pages: [1] 2