Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Lycantrophy (or whatever it is for skinks) and children?  (Read 10674 times)

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lycantrophy (or whatever it is for skinks) and children?
« on: February 20, 2012, 05:19:50 am »

I just had a wereskink bite a fisherdwarf, and then said fisherdwarf went on a rampage killing all remaining dwarves the next full moon.  Interestingly, she was ecstatic despite having murdered her own husband.  Now she is living peaceful in the haunted remains of the fortress, and interestingly, gave birth.  Any !!SCIENCE!! out there about wereskink transmission?  Otherwise she might eat her own kid and go insane, i'm sort of interested to see where this goes...

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lycantrophy (or whatever it is for skinks) and children?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2012, 05:23:31 am »

Wait, weredwarfs don't stop being member of civ after going berserk? O_o

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 05:29:58 am »

Well, sort of.  While berserk they are certainly enemies.  But after reverting they are totally fine, even happier then before.  As an added bonus she's training up her combat skills during her bouts of....scaliness.    As an update she ate the shit out of her kid the next time that she transformed.  But, in the same transformation bit a hunter migrant who looks like he might survive.  Wereskink fortress anyone?

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 05:32:01 am »

Huh. I thought that dwarfs affected by werecurse would flee the fortress after reverting/get killed by other dwarfs O_o

melkorp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 06:29:07 am »

Wereskink fortress anyone?
Yes please.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...It should be pretty fun though.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 06:32:01 am »

Well, sort of.  While berserk they are certainly enemies.  But after reverting they are totally fine, even happier then before.  As an added bonus she's training up her combat skills during her bouts of....scaliness.    As an update she ate the shit out of her kid the next time that she transformed.  But, in the same transformation bit a hunter migrant who looks like he might survive.  Wereskink fortress anyone?
I'd build a black box, I can't imagine a fort would survive having every single member become an enemy.

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 06:37:42 am »

Actually, it does.  It got down to just the wereskink and it held up.  The wereskink ranks have swollen to two, with two more possibly infected.  I've built a chamber where the creatures can be unleashed on the population.  There massive damage resistance and regeneration makes them nigh impervious to the attacks made by the unarmed dwarves within the chamber.  Then the dwarves that are accidentally killed can be entombed in the handy coffins already found within the chamber.  Those dwarves that are harmed but not killed are treated in the nearby hospital (though they hardly need it, the infection causes SPECTACULAR regeneration).  It appears that wereskinks are kind to one another while transformed, or atleast more content to eat squishy dwarves than each other.  The regeneration is so spectacular though that medical professionals have to confirm it.  As in, their horrible injuries mend, and they get re-diagnosed before being released.

The hardest part of keeping wereskink fortress going is purely the infectivity of the virus.  A dwarf that's been bitten twice now hasn't succumb, while a ranger that got nicked turned the next moon, any !!SCIENCE!! about what exactly spreads the disease?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 06:42:10 am »

Actually, it does.  It got down to just the wereskink and it held up.  The wereskink ranks have swollen to two, with two more possibly infected.  I've built a chamber where the creatures can be unleashed on the population.  There massive damage resistance and regeneration makes them nigh impervious to the attacks made by the unarmed dwarves within the chamber.  Then the dwarves that are accidentally killed can be entombed in the handy coffins already found within the chamber.  Those dwarves that are harmed but not killed are treated in the nearby hospital (though they hardly need it, the infection causes SPECTACULAR regeneration).  It appears that wereskinks are kind to one another while transformed, or atleast more content to eat squishy dwarves than each other.  The regeneration is so spectacular though that medical professionals have to confirm it.  As in, their horrible injuries mend, and they get re-diagnosed before being released.

The hardest part of keeping wereskink fortress going is purely the infectivity of the virus.  A dwarf that's been bitten twice now hasn't succumb, while a ranger that got nicked turned the next moon, any !!SCIENCE!! about what exactly spreads the disease?
You have a fortress of were creatures, I'm just a humble Ghost Researcher/Vampire Farmer you sir are the werebeast ‼SCIENTIST‼ our ‼SCIENTIFIC‼ knowledge base on the subject may be doubled by your findings.

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 06:44:02 am »

Sifting through logs of combat I discovered that the dwarves turned against a weapon smith who suffered a particularly nasty bite... did they somehow know he was infected and put him down during his period of weakness between full skink-ism?  No way to tell.  Currently 2 wereskinks and many new possible canidates...

paraxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 07:24:57 am »

This is interesting...
What about this?:
Make one fort(burrow) consisting out of weredwaves, another consisting of vampire. Create an arena in the middle and release both sides on full-moon.
And through a glass wall the remainding resident enjoy the Roman-style carnage! As an extra place several goblins in the middle of it!

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 01:50:22 pm »

Well my goal is to train and infect as many in the fortress as possible.

So !!SCIENCE!! has progressed to show that uninfected dwarves can "sense" somehow a dwarf that is freshly infected, or perhaps that they themselves got infected.  From this sense they will attack said newly infected dwarf, but if they are unawares they will continue to medically treat this dwarf.  Interestingly, a full wereskink (i.e. one that has transformed) is not subject to the dwarves ire, probably because they are too scared of it to attempt to fight back.

A particular dwarf administrator has killed 3 fresh wereskink spawn on his own, which has allowed him to farm up some combat skills and severely tick me off.  I plan to instead of my big chamber where the wereskinks could just go berserk and do a huge amount of damage to the population, instead i'm going to develop chambers where the wereskink and the prospect prey can be kept in seperate rooms that are connected by an unlockable door.  Then, about halfway through the full moon i'll open the doors, allowing the wereskink to attack the new spawn alone, the wereskinks are not particularly interested in killing people (usually, there have been flukes) and the time constraint of most of the full moon being gone should lower the lethality.  After the transformation back to a dwarf completes, i'll move the dwarf to a hospital bed where he'll be fed and watered approaching his transformation.

Speaking of injured dwarves while transforming, transformation cures -all- injuries, even nerve damage that is usually considered unhealable.  In addition, any damage while taken as a wereskink is cleared as soon as they transform back, and visa-versa.  Therefore exposing a favored, but injured, dwarf to lycantrophy could be an excellent way to restore them to working order, as long as they are carefully sequestered during the full moon.

One final note is that wereskinks enjoy bloodlust while berserked and get the "Took joy in Slaughter" thought while killing there fellow friends and family.  Also, they quickly get "Doesn't care much about anything" which allows them to kill without risk of insanity.  The saddest dwarf in the fortress can still be consoled by booze, meaning that a tantrum spiral as it stands isn't particularly likely...

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 01:59:21 pm »

This is insanely useful knowledge. Can't wait to see how this fort fairs against armed gobbos.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2012, 02:00:52 pm »

Well my goal is to train and infect as many in the fortress as possible.

So !!SCIENCE!! has progressed to show that uninfected dwarves can "sense" somehow a dwarf that is freshly infected, or perhaps that they themselves got infected.  From this sense they will attack said newly infected dwarf, but if they are unawares they will continue to medically treat this dwarf.  Interestingly, a full wereskink (i.e. one that has transformed) is not subject to the dwarves ire, probably because they are too scared of it to attempt to fight back.

A particular dwarf administrator has killed 3 fresh wereskink spawn on his own, which has allowed him to farm up some combat skills and severely tick me off.  I plan to instead of my big chamber where the wereskinks could just go berserk and do a huge amount of damage to the population, instead i'm going to develop chambers where the wereskink and the prospect prey can be kept in seperate rooms that are connected by an unlockable door.  Then, about halfway through the full moon i'll open the doors, allowing the wereskink to attack the new spawn alone, the wereskinks are not particularly interested in killing people (usually, there have been flukes) and the time constraint of most of the full moon being gone should lower the lethality.  After the transformation back to a dwarf completes, i'll move the dwarf to a hospital bed where he'll be fed and watered approaching his transformation.

Speaking of injured dwarves while transforming, transformation cures -all- injuries, even nerve damage that is usually considered unhealable.  In addition, any damage while taken as a wereskink is cleared as soon as they transform back, and visa-versa.  Therefore exposing a favored, but injured, dwarf to lycantrophy could be an excellent way to restore them to working order, as long as they are carefully sequestered during the full moon.

One final note is that wereskinks enjoy bloodlust while berserked and get the "Took joy in Slaughter" thought while killing there fellow friends and family.  Also, they quickly get "Doesn't care much about anything" which allows them to kill without risk of insanity.  The saddest dwarf in the fortress can still be consoled by booze, meaning that a tantrum spiral as it stands isn't particularly likely...
How about using water flooding to separate combatants? Maybe cover the floor with hatches into small compartments. You can devise methods of stopping the dwarves killing the combatants.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 03:46:00 am by Reelya »

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 20, 2012, 03:36:06 pm »

I now have a were-warthog child, so that'll be fun.

wait...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 20, 2012, 03:39:52 pm by ASCIt »
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Excedion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2012, 04:09:37 pm »

How exactly does one appear to be 133 million years old?  :o
If adamantine is perfectly rigid, as shown by having 0 strain at fracture in the raw files, then the speed of sound in the metal approaches the speed of light. Adamantine musical instruments would produce ultrasonic vibrations, and cut off the fingers of the musician.
Pages: [1] 2 3