Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Lycantrophy (or whatever it is for skinks) and children?  (Read 10666 times)

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
Re: Lycantrophy (or whatever it is for skinks) and children?
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2012, 04:17:00 pm »

How exactly does one appear to be 133 million years old?  :o

Such is my question. Also, I seem to have a vampire somewhere, so an epic battle is inevitable.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2012, 04:40:45 pm »

133 million years old ? That's gotta be why he's a patient guy.

Also, nice find. Though how the hell is this possible...

MoonLightBird

• Bay Watcher
  • Hothothothot!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2012, 04:57:11 pm »

YOU FOUND ARMOK!
You need to take care of this kid! For it is the blood god!

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 20, 2012, 05:02:15 pm »

He's the star member of my fort, and I'm going to keep him.

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #19 on: February 20, 2012, 06:00:45 pm »

Holy crap. Q from Star Trek is living in your fortress pretending to be a werehog dwarf.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2012, 07:26:17 pm »

Best. Bug. Ever.

Short of playable adamantine towers, I suppose.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Kavalion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 20, 2012, 07:35:08 pm »

I wonder, do they keep their weapons and armor equipped when they transform?

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 20, 2012, 07:44:26 pm »

No, they do not.  In fact, weredwarves enjoy throwing their clothes to the wind and wandering around naked even when they are NOT transformed.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2012, 07:54:44 pm »

No, they do not.  In fact, weredwarves enjoy throwing their clothes to the wind and wandering around naked even when they are NOT transformed.

This. Mine'd had his skull broken and was being torn around by the throat, when the were-warthog what turned him promptly transformed into an (I'd assume) extremely embarrassed human woman, and ran away. I'd assumed he was dead, but I hoped for the best because his mother (of all people) came along and plopped him down on an empty bed. When he first turned, he'd still been laying there, and didn't leave the 1x2 room until he turned back. His clothes were strewn in a pile on the bed once he was gone, however, and he's been in the buck ever since.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2012, 08:14:18 pm »

I think the guy that is killing the newly infected were skinks needs to be made into one himself.  Oh, and be sure to appoint one of your were skinks as the doctor, even if his attributes don't suit the doctoring life.  At least until you get a better were-doctor. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2012, 08:56:21 pm »

I tried, and it almost worked.  He was successfully bitten and left alive, but unfortunately the wounds that he suffered were SLIGHTLY to severe, and he bled out JUST before they could be sutured and dressed, oh well, another attempt will hopefully yield better results, I've got the moon timing a bit better now, and I left Mr. Administrator in the oven just a little too long with Mr. Skink.

Rohain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2012, 10:14:16 pm »

I've determined that a weredwarf fortress is unfortunately nearly impossible because of the way combat is processed.  After a huge ammount of failed attempts and fort "rebellions" I've come to the root of the problem.  When Mr. Weredwarf attacks the dwarf he is attempting to infect he engages in combat.  In a perfect world he would bite him and flee, but his bloodrage compels him to maul continuously until either he untransforms, or the other is dead.  Where it gets sticky is that the werecreature engages in grappling, which, after transforming, the grapples are maintained.  This causes the dwarf to deem the other dwarf to be a foe, and will finish him off after the transformation is complete.  This brands the finishing dwarf as an enemy of the civilization.  The only time when it works is when there is no grappling or down and dirty wrestling, but the mauling goes cleanly.  I've discovered after numerous trials that this is nearly impossible to achieve, and the prospective spawn is either killed for wrestling with the weredwarf, or the weredwarf is branded and torn apart.  It is due to these technicalities that I believe a wereskink fortress is impossible, and in my current attempt the werecreature was eventually branded and ripped apart by the populace despite his stupendous regeneration and protection.

tl;dr

Werecreature fortress nearly impossible
Dwarves can detect newly infected prospects, and attempt to eliminate them
A werecreature can be a part of your fortress, provided he is kept away from prospect din-din during his time alive
Werecreatures undergo spontaneous regeneration upon transformation, even of nerve type damage that would normally be permanent
Lycantrophy is not heritable through birth
Lycantrophy isn't even totally heritable through a single bite, and numerous dwarves suffered a bite with contagion occurring
Finally, werecreatures respect each other enough that they don't try and eat each other.

If somebody does want to create a werecreature fortress, they'd have to use unskilled newly infected dwarves to infect new dwarves, and if there was ever a bad batch they'd be screwed, because skill would begin to develop and remove the possibility of a safe infection.  Or at least that's what I suspect.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2012, 10:20:52 pm »

Too bad.  I love how the wereskinks respect each other, and instead hunt the other dorfs. 

Do you still have the fort?  If so, please continue to play with it, and show us some more hilarity. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2012, 10:40:45 pm »

Technically, it's still Lycanthropy if it's a skunk. Lycanthrope simply means 'animal man'. Lupethropy would be werewolf. Puterthropy would be wereskunk.

Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.

G. I. JOOOOOOOOOOOOOOE

Edit: Oh, Skink, not skunk.

Disregard that.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 08:35:31 pm »

Except that "lycanthropy" is from greek :-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycanthropy

meaning literally "wolf man", whilst "lupus" is latin for wolf ....
Pages: 1 [2] 3