Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Gloria Patri: Hitler would be proud.  (Read 4335 times)

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gloria Patri: Hitler would be proud.
« on: February 19, 2012, 10:54:24 pm »

In this game we will be going for that most glorious and honourable of goals - uniting Europe under the divine and most enviable rule of Catholicism, reclaiming the Holy Lands and putting an end to Orthodox heresy once and for all.  We shall, of course, do so as the Pope.

Of course, we do not have to start as the Pope.  It takes a bit of luck and a lot of ruthless invasion, but it is possible for any Catholic theocracy to become the Papal States once the Papal States have been completely annexed.  We could play the Antipope in Avignon, or the Elector-Bishop of Mainz or even one of the lesser Theocracies, setting our sights upon St Peter's Throne.  Whatever we do, we shall have to face up against the might of the Emperor to the north, the Turk to the east, the Moors to the south and even the ambitions of our Catholic brethren to the west.

Manifest Destiny Goals

* Seize Rome.  (If not the Pope.  Longer game, harder start.)

* Become Pope.  (If not the Pope.  Longer game, harder start.)

* Eliminate or vassalise rival theocracies in Europe.

* Eliminate the Orthodox Church.

* Seize Jerusalem.

* Seize Mecca, convert to Christianity.

* Eliminate Islam.

* Eliminate all other religions except paganism.

* Bring Christianity to every corner of the globe.

House Rule

* No going over the Badboy Limit.  Badboy Wars are a somewhat scummy strategy.

So, first things first.  What country shall we play?  States that come to mind are the Papal States (duh) who have a short questline attached to them and can Kingdom of God when they control Italy; Avignon, who sadly lack a questline but have the best historical claim to St Peter's throne as Benedict is the Antipope; One of the Elector Archbishoprics such as Mainz, starting in a politically precarious position but with the Emperor's protection; or as the Knights of St John if we are utterly and completely suicidal.

If we start as a non-Empire state, should we accept membership into the Empire?  It will make attacking Empire states much less hassle.

Finally, feel free to adopt a 'cardinal' for roleplay reasons.  The Pope will take your opinions into account when determining policy, and when we hit a Conclave the policy of the candidate elected will determine how we proceed for that Pope's reign.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 10:00:47 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
Re: In the Name of the Father: An EU3 LP
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 11:16:42 pm »

The Knights.

I had a game once where I became the Pope when I moved the Knights to the New World. It's gonna be hard if you plan to stay in Europe though. I recommend not attacking Africa though, it's considered a separate continent and need ships to profit from.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2012, 12:14:38 am »

My best shot with The Knights started with a slow and bloody war to take over the Byzantine empire, followed by the Ottomans with a huge helping of luck. They're fun, if you're up to it. Otherwise, I vote Avignon.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2012, 03:57:32 am »

Knights if you really think they are an option. Otherwise Avignon.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2012, 03:03:48 pm »

I'll be a wuss. Let's get Poping. As, well, the Pope. Otherwise Trier.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2012, 11:22:25 pm »

Knights, for greater glory! 8)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2012, 11:26:03 pm »

Knights, for greater glory! 8)

This.  If you REALLY don't want to play them, Avignon.

Are you gonna roleplay, or just pure gameplay?  By that, I mean are you going to make narratives, characters, etc, or just focus on all the gameplay of EU3? 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2012, 01:18:56 am »

Roleplay, and oh gods.  Overwhelming support for the Knights?  Really?

Okay then.  Taking soundings for overall strategy.  Since we're not the Antipope you'll all be "Brothers" of the order until we can successfully claim the Papacy and make you cardinals.  I'll play the current Grandmaster according to my own judgement (with input!) but when he dies we'll do a Conclave style election from within the player characters - I'll follow the winner's overall strategy and he can appoint characters to act as specific advisors.

So, Brothers, what direction should we take?

Expansion

- Wait for/aim to cause a Casus Belli and try to preserve some vague measure of our reputation.

- Make an unprovoked attack on a nation and suffer the stability and reputation hits.

- Eyes on the prize.  Hit Rome straight off the bat and try to capture one of the greatest cities of the world.  Difficult, as the Pope outnumbers and outships us.  Facing Genoa would go similarly.

- Hit weak neighbours; Cyprus, Naxos.  Cyprus we should be able to take out in the first year, as they are the only nation we have a chance of actually beating in a fight with our one ship and one army.

- Go boldly; attack the weakened Byzantium and try to feast on its corpse before the Ottomans sit on them.  They still outship and outgun us, mind.

Economy

Merchant trading has its benefits, but should we focus on moving towards Free Trade and dominating Europa's ports or think about building a trade hub ourselves at some point and embracing ruthless mercantilism?  Should we aim for greater production or trade efficiency?  Whilst we are a small nation, trade efficiency may have greater benefits - especially if we are hitting lots of CoTs at once.

Research

Should we focus heavily on one aspect?  Focus lightly on one aspect?  Research evenly on all areas?

- Govt. Focus: We are planning to stay a Theocracy, but there are some bonuses to researching government anyway, not least of which are the much vaunted National Ideas.  Picking the right NI setup will win us the game (at some point, this will have to include Unam Sanctum if we want to engage in a crusade vs Orthodoxy, but others may be more useful more immediately).

- Prod. Focus: As a small nation, production efficiency yields relatively small outputs - this path will get us the valuable workshop sooner, but it may be worth holding off until we control a lot of provinces where the investment will pay off sooner.

- Trade Focus: Greater trade efficiency is a good thing - when we start out with <30% efficiency, every single % means extra ducats for us.  Spiking to Trade Tech 15 will eventually allow us to monopolise Centres of Trade, allowing for particularly large trade gains.

- Land Focus: Land research will ultimately make the difference to fighting wars in Europa.  Better troops = easier battles.

- Naval Focus: On the other hand, getting troops into position is absolutely necessary, and naval supremacy can sway the tide of a war (excuse the pun), especially for an initially island-based nation.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 03:01:47 am »

Please Bro me as "Brother Nix". 

For suggestions, I'd say focus on land and naval.  What we lack in manpower, weapons, and supplies, we shall make up for in technology!  And if we get Drill, better manpower. 

We need to become a military and trading power.  And go for Cyprus.  Take the safe route, no need for early self-destruction. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2012, 04:23:13 am »

Call me 'Father Aywanez'.
Trade investment seems more prudent in the long run. More money means we can hire mercs to supplement our critically low manpower.
As The Lord our Savior was wise to the the merchants in his father's temple, so must we study the merchants' tricks lest we be tricked ourselves. Forsooth!
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 22, 2012, 04:29:31 am »

Call me 'Father Aywanez'.
Trade investment seems more prudent in the long run. More money means we can hire mercs to supplement our critically low manpower.
As The Lord our Savior was wise to the the merchants in his father's temple, so must we study the merchants' tricks lest we be tricked ourselves. Forsooth!

That...seems a tad hypocritical.  Anyway, how do mercenaries work?  Never played EU3, I've read LOTS of AARS and LPs. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2012, 06:37:14 am »

Mercenaries fight like regular units and take a lot less time to train (few weeks as opposed to many months, I remember), but the downside is that they're a lot more expensive. You also get less military tradition from fights if you use mercenaries. Military tradition in turn is used to commission significantly better officers to lead your armies.

--

Let's go merchant for now, we need the dough. Free trade and trade techs ahoy. Also lets eat up small and weak neighbours as we can for now. We have time, no need to rush it all just yet.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2012, 08:29:11 am »

Also, I belive mercenaries cannot be reinforced.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2012, 12:09:09 am »

From the notes of Grandmaster Philibert de Naillac

2nd November, 1400

It has been a little over a year since I took power and things have deteriorated rapidly.  We have exhausted virtually every source of loans available to us (and then for a meagre 25 ducats!) and are verging on the edge of bankruptcy.  Funding for the shipbuilding and trade techniques Brothers Nix and Aywanex support has been cut to a trickle as we mint debased coins to cover our wildly spiralling debts.  Traders have seized positions in Lubeck for a slice of their lucrative trade; then swiftly were competed back out again.  Finally, the nations of Europa hate us with a passion for our dishonourable deeds.

The reason for such chaos?  Survival.  On Rhodes alone we could never survive the might of the Ottomans so close.  We had to expand and damn the consequences.  So on my ascension we studied those cities that could be assaulted with the least of troubles; Ragusa, Montenegro, Urbino.  We considered some of the island; Crete, Cyprus, Naxos, but all under the protection of powerful neighbours.  Firenze would also have proved a fine target but the Emperor would move to protect it.  Urbino was the best choice, and for the past year we have warred against it, struggling to wear down its people.  The break in the long siege came as the Pope himself declared war on Urbino, perhaps in the hope to seize the region once our forces gave up.  We did not, and their increased numbers put additional pressure on the Urbinines until they finally surrendered today.

Now we have to decide whether to take the province whole or make it a duchy under our rule.  The latter option would be less devastating to our reputation (given we had no casus belli for this war), but provide us with less manpower and income ourselves.  They have not enough money to sue for peace in exchange for cash, alas.  Our next war, should we be able to even fight one, must be for money.

Money is a critical factor; we are steadily losing cash and have exhausted all of our loans funding that war - hiring a single mercenary put us over our forcelimit of 1, doubling costs in addition to the actual mercenary cost.  Very, very expensive.

We also have a slider change open to us!  We can centralise (always good) at the cost of armies spawning all over and trying to seize power.  We are at 3 Serfdom, so we could change towards it for even greater research penalties in exchange for lowered infantry costs, or start slowly changing to Free Citizens for research bonuses.  We are currently at 1 Naval, so we can try and go even further towards the navy at the expense of our military (cheaper ships!).  Alternatively we are at 3 Mercantilism, so we could try to head towards Free Trade to make us more competitive in the foreign market or even go still more Mercantilist... and then try and capture a CoT.

Finally, shall we vassalise or capture?  Capture will expand our unit limit to 2 and give us a maximum manpower of >2000 (it is presently a weak 1000).  Vassalisation will force Urbino to be our ally and give us half their monthly income (not much), but we won't have to worry about coring them.  It also means the difference between 8 infamy and 4 infamy.

This decided, what about our next war?  Shall we try and get a valid CB for conquest, or ally with an ongoing war and try to fight for cash?

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 05:08:57 am »

Capture.  Screw the reputation, as long as it doesn't get us over the badboy limit.  We need allies, secure as many as possible, fight wars alongside allies for money.  WE NEED MONEYZ.  Since we're small, research, research research.  We must develop firearms before anyone else. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
Pages: [1] 2 3