Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30

Author Topic: [Succ. 34.11+] Watchedgleam (necro-, demon- and vampire-con; free elf-delivery!)  (Read 80742 times)

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile

Ok, that really sucks. I had a quite long journal, then I pressed a wrong button and now it is gone. I suppose I will paraphrase. This will be a short update now, I guess. Sorry.

This is a confusing fort. It's built on so many levels, and the layout is very irregular. I couldn't find the lever linked to the emergency shut-off bridge or the hospital, so I made both. Immediately after finishing, I found the other hospital. I never found the lever, though. Not many interesting things happened, a forgotten beast who mysteriously died, a Wrestler who died at the hands of a giant louse, and more confusion on my part. I was happy to see that we had a thriving metalworking process going, and had started to manufacture adamantine weapons and armour. I also started on an honour to my namesake, whether I deserve it or not. I realize now, as I'm paraphrasing, that either I forgot everything that happened or nothing happened this spring, except for...

An ambush! Curse all friends of nature!

And then...

And then at least twelve more elven ambushes. I'm not exaggerating. The Elves and the undead army were fortunately unable to coordinate their efforts, and fighting broke out between the two groups, who had obviously forgotten the treasures of Watchedgleam that they had come to take. This was a battle of epic proportions, with over 50 soldiers to each side, and the Pro Sniper Tryrar shooting a few bolts into the mix from the walls, but the elves were quickly decimated. Heavily outnumbered now, they fled, leaving us to fend for ourselves. The human necromancer quickly raised all the corpses he could reach, and now there are over 5 pages full of undead. We are screwed.

I need to finish this update now. Any advice on what to do would be very welcome. Sorry again for the short post. It is now 21 of Felsite, late spring.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

The lever is literally right beside the bridge, how'd you miss it?

Anyway, I suggest we go for the isolated zombie apocalypse scenario. With the current state of the vampire menace, it should make for quite a fun time. And be sure to give a good thrashing to whoever it was that thought it was a good idea to put our entire corpse stockpile outside the city walls (Zargodia) :P
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 12:41:52 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh that lever. Oops. Oh well. I'm writing another update. Suffice it to say that our marksdwarves are not up to doing that at the moment.

Edit: Yeah, I was wondering how good an idea that outside refuse stockpile was.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 01:00:02 pm by TheWetSheep »

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Alright, back into this mess.

We used to have 7 marksdwarves in our squad. Now we have three. Fortunately, one of them is Tryrar. The others are Twangykid and empfan. Twangykid, our mayor, is conducting a meeting. Can't you see there's a war on?

Some good news. I cannot find the necromancer in the units list. Could he be dead? I know he was wounded by an elven bownman back when there were elves fighting the undead.

Our population is down to 65. I really don't want to be the one to kill the fort.

Empfan is injured, but still trying to pick up his equipment. Tryrar is sleeping. Twangykid is still conducting the meeting. I am removing him from his post, so he will do his work. Actually, right after I did that the diplomat left, so I will re-install Twangykid. Wait... Why is he chained? Is he a vampire? I'm a bit scared to let him loose.

Summer has arrived!

Tryrar...Tryrar is dead. I don't know how; he was on the walls or supposed to be. Perhaps a vampire attack? Empfan still hasn't moved.

It's just his toe that's broken! And his nose is gone, but that doesn't matter. He hasn't moved in 3 days.

I found out how Tryrar died. Fortunately, it was not my fault. Unfortunately, he was indeed drained by a vampire. Of all the targets!

I, TheWetSheep, have died and joined the attackers. Hundreds of undead is not helping my framerate. Some other bad news, the flying undead, like Giant Wren Skeletons, have started to fly in over the walls. The war dogs are defending, but not too well.

Just to give you an idea of how many undead there are, look at this:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All our idlers are heading up to the walls. It's odd.

I don't care if Twangykid is a vampire, I need him on the walls. Release him! I still don't know whether the necromancer is dead yet. I would love to know what type of weapon is best against these monsters. Our military units: 1 swordsdorf, 3 macedorfs, 2 axedorfs and 1 lasherdorf.

Hooray! Empfan is moving again. I shall send him to the walls.

It is still early summer. My framerate is painful. I'm tempted to send some melee dwarves out and see how they do. I could send all our known vampires out, maybe. I must train more marksdorfs. I am making an archery range.

I'm done with this update. More to come.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeah, vampires are immune to zombies, so they might actually be our best hope! How ironic is that?
Now if only we had taken steps to vampinize Tryrar...

Empfan had a rather nasty run-in with a giant thrips during my reign. He went into inexplicable animal trainer's bloodrage and tried to beat it to death with his crossbow. Eventually, the thing overpowered him, smashed his toe, and tore his nose off. You can still see the pools of vomit where it all went down :P
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 02:51:08 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

vampires are immune to zombies
Do you mean skeletons too? That's what there are most of. What kind of weapons work best against corpses, skeletons and live body parts?

Edit: Felcis, you may want to update the deceased list to include:

Will Tuna(Vamiric incident)
Tryrar(Vampiric incident)
TheAxiom(Unknown)
TheWetSheep II(I think this is the second one of me; I was on the dead list before)(Caught outside in undead assault, then turned undead)
NRDL(Unknown)
Dariush(Unknown)

Sorry about all the unknown causes of death. It was a bit hard to keep track of everything.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 03:25:38 pm by TheWetSheep »

Felcis

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes his war leopard, rawr~
    • View Profile
    • RadicalFishGames DevLog

vampires are immune to zombies
Do you mean skeletons too? That's what there are most of. What kind of weapons work best against corpses, skeletons and live body parts?
Swords and axes are the fastest weapons to "kill" them, but they have the negative sideeffect that they multiply the bodyparts which can be raised...but I am not sure if that even matters by now, with all the garbage flying around. Blunt weapons are generally good though. As long as you kill the necromancers, anything goes really.
This becomes pretty exciting again. Maybe we will need to reopen the well again to vampirice our fortress against the undead-threat. And once that is done: Arm up and conquer hell! =D

And don't worry about the unknown deaths. We can always check those later with Legends.

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

25th Hematite, Early Summer. 59 dwarves. Uncountable undead.

Dariush, our legendary weaponsmith is dead, but not before making a masterpiece adamantine battle axe for our novice axedwarf.

I am working on a long trap-lined corridor and a long corridor with atom-smashers in it. We shall defeat this undead army! Empfan is acting all injured again and isn't moving. I know he can move fast! I saw him do it when he was thirsty.

The only casualties we are having now are from vampires. Well, the necromancer is definitely gone or dead. Nothing is coming back to life, thankfully.

I finished giving everyone bedrooms. I recruited some dwarves into my marksdorf squad, then sent them up on the walls. Excellent, empfan has finally joined them.

Reg, a gem cutter, went into a fey mood, claimed a jeweler's workshop, and began a mysterious construction! Some other good news: The undead's numbers have begun to dwindle! Not much, but they've lost at least 10. Of course, that's not much out of 100's.

Wow. These marksdwarves are doing well. One, who is just novice, has killed almost 20, I think. Some of them might have been from before, but I doubt it. Empfan, who is professional, has fewer kills than both novice marksdwarves. Odd.

I'm not used to taking screenshots, so I missed this one. Reg created a shell opal earring. It is encrusted with oval cut shell opals. A very unadorned, boring artifact.

A magma crab came up through a magma vent a previous overseer had built(for what purpose, I do not know), killed a leatherworker and mortally wounded a marksdwarf. A recruit came over and wrestled the crab to death, but the marksdwarf later suffocated. He had 22 kills.

Great! Now there are only 4 full pages of undead. I will defeat them yet! I'm trying to decide whether to try to get my melee military out there and risk the undead getting in. We don't have enough marksdorf equipment. Bolts we have tons of, but we need more quivers and crossbows, I think.

Another vampire-related death. I need to kill the undead before the vampires kill all our dwarves!

Autumn has come. I think I'll end here. Halfway through my turn, there are 54 citizens left.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

........doh! I think I specifically said to either get rid of the vamps or vampirize me to keep this from happening. Now without the most badass dorf in the fort, survival just got a lot harder.

Oh, and redorf me as the first available schmuck idiot volunteer for the military
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

........doh! I think I specifically said to either get rid of the vamps or vampirize me to keep this from happening. Now without the most badass dorf in the fort, survival just got a lot harder.

Oh, and redorf me as the first available schmuck idiot volunteer for the military

Sorry. I don't really know how to do either of those; I tried to do something about the vampires but nothing happened. I have some recruits you might like for the military, or you could have another decent marksdwarf who already has about 30 kills.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Post screenshots of those artifacts while you're at it. Especially the adamantine battleaxe.

I'm also curious if the archer-captain-exclusive masterwork Nethercap Crossbow has a name at this point. Tryrar's killed a ridiculous amount with that thing.
Empfan, who is professional, has fewer kills than both novice marksdwarves. Odd.
Probably because he's ridiculously lazy :P
« Last Edit: June 09, 2012, 09:56:22 pm by Spish »

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Post screenshots of those artifacts while you're at it. Especially the adamantine battleaxe.
The adamantine battleaxe isn't an artifact. It' just masterwork. Sorry.

This is the only artifact made during my reign:

Very boring.

Anyway, the undead army is being slowly worn away by the wild animals that have the misfortune to enter our area. Finally the "Other" units list is below 300. Well over half are undead. I must get those vampires outside! Especially since I have drafted them into a vampire squad, which is now training. One of them, Xeig, is now a novice swordsdwarf. He is wielding an adamantine short sword.

I am trying to drop a cat off our wall to attract the undead horde, so our marksdorfs can shoot them.
Less than 3 pages of undead! Woohoo!
The cat is outside. Come, undead, come.
It worked. Not as well as I'd hoped, but it attracted about 8 undead within shooting distance. My marksdorfs proceeded to slaughter them.

It's okay, I'm pretty sure it can't get to us.

I have to stop now. Sorry for yet another short update.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's fine, you're putting out these updates at ludicrous speed compared to the rest of us.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry. I don't really know how to do either of those; I tried to do something about the vampires but nothing happened. I have some recruits you might like for the military, or you could have another decent marksdwarf who already has about 30 kills.

Eh, whatever you find funnier, doesn't really matter to me :)
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It's fine, you're putting out these updates at ludicrous speed compared to the rest of us.
Well, considering each one is only about half a month, it's actually not that much. Anyway, I won't be able to finish up this weekend. I might be able to finish before next weekend, but I'm not sure yet.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 30