Averni
Getai
Carthage
Koinon Hellenon
Epeiros
Ptolemaioi
Pontos

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Let's Play Europa Barbarorum - Pontos - Update #15 - Hideous Hellenes  (Read 42482 times)

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Europa Barbarorum - Pontos - Update #5
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2012, 12:04:23 am »

Go historical for the ultimate showdown of ultimate destiny.

Indeed. We need more ball breaking.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Europa Barbarorum - Pontos - Update #6
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2012, 04:39:52 pm »

The Illustrated Histories of the Kingdom of Pontos

Chapter 6

Spoiler: 262-261 BC (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:42:19 pm by Delta Foxtrot »

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 09:05:07 pm »

I noticed that Pontus seems similar to Poland if you've played Medieval II. They have fairly shitty infantry but solid cavalry. Or at least that's my experience, seeing as I've never played as them.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2012, 09:14:31 pm »

I noticed that Pontus seems similar to Poland if you've played Medieval II. They have fairly shitty infantry but solid cavalry. Or at least that's my experience, seeing as I've never played as them.

So if Pontus is Poland, then the Seleucids must be the Russians? And I suppose that the Ptolemaioi would then be the Austrians. But who are the Germans? Hmm... Maybe the Greeks are the 16th century Holy Roman Empire? I think that I'm reading too much into this whole comparison.

EDIT: Just make sure that the Ptolemaioi, Seleucids and Greeks don't get too chummy with each-other.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 09:17:25 pm by USEC_OFFICER »

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2012, 09:34:06 pm »

I usually just took Teutonic Knights or Lithuanians and started wreaking havoc from Poland to Novgorod. Poland was usually that annoying faction pestering my borders when I wanted to kill something that was actually interesting. Though to be fair it's been a few years since I last dabbled with MTW2 & mods. If I got Stainless Steel up and running now I'd probably go for Poland or Kiev match. Maybe once I upgrade my hardware and SS 7.0 is out but not before.
I never really thought about it but Pontos does lack in the mid grade quality. Once I hit barracks level 4 I can get some good assault/general purpose infantry and my elite phalanxes, and if we get any old Persian lands we can (again with the vaunted level 4 barracks) recruit royal kinsmen heavy cavalry (ie. same as my general's bodyguard). Before that though it's a bit rough around the edges, what with successor units beating us in one on one fights and all.
Well, there is a decent Greek influenced spearman unit at level 3 that will get introduced in an update or two. And Pontos is parked right next to Galatia so that compensates somewhat. Now if I could just be bothered to actually build some barracks levels there instead of pop growth/economy and we could start waging war the Gallic way.

But yeah. Pontos is basically a bunch of old Persians who are Greek wannabes. Too bad Persia is long dead and All the real Greeks serve with the real successor states. It ain't easy for poor old Pontos.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2012, 12:22:56 am »

Well then, the answer to all our problems is obvious:

Go to Athens and bring all those Greeks over here. :P
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Europa Barbarorum - Pontos - Update #7
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 01:59:46 pm »

Chapter 7

Spoiler: 260 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 2nd Battle of Side (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 259 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Battle of Tarsos (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 259-257 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 2nd Battle of Tarsos (click to show/hide)

--

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 01, 2012, 06:10:20 am »

I say go for Byzantion, it should serve quite nicely as your western border, being the only place an enemy army can cross without a ship if I remember correctly. That way you can easily prevent an army from entering Asia minor and potentially go wherever they damn well please and wreak havoc. Its also vital if you plan to take the Black sea and want your trade to stretch into the Mediterranean Sea.

I say we do both the historical route and go get a piece of the Greek homeland too. That is, what kind of mod is this? Are the Spartans still the best? And this mod makes you able to hire them if you capture Sparta? C'mon, lets set up 300 style situation except the Spartans get squashed.
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 01, 2012, 09:53:07 am »

I say go for Byzantion, it should serve quite nicely as your western border, being the only place an enemy army can cross without a ship if I remember correctly. That way you can easily prevent an army from entering Asia minor and potentially go wherever they damn well please and wreak havoc. Its also vital if you plan to take the Black sea and want your trade to stretch into the Mediterranean Sea.

I say we do both the historical route and go get a piece of the Greek homeland too. That is, what kind of mod is this? Are the Spartans still the best? And this mod makes you able to hire them if you capture Sparta? C'mon, lets set up 300 style situation except the Spartans get squashed.

Byzantion is definitely on my to-do list for this LP. Though there are actually two places one can enter into Asia Minor: Bosphorus and Dardanelles.

Spartans are definitely a top-tier unit. While EB unit recruitment is region based, unfortunately only Koinon Hellenon can recruit Spartans, and only in Sparta. Same goes for some other faction specific units. But if we choose to expand west after Black Sea, we'll certainly go ravage the Balkans all the way to Sparta.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Europa Barbarorum - Pontos - Update #8
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2012, 08:09:23 am »

Chapter 8 - In which we work on economy and military

Spoiler: 256-254 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 253 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 7th Battle of Mazaka (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 253-252 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 251 BC (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: 8th Battle of Mazaka (click to show/hide)

Man those mines are expensive. And it only takes 5 in-game years to finish upgrading one. Worth every penny though.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2012, 09:10:30 am »

Damn. You're starting to get into Stworca levels of kill-ratios. Keep this up and the world will soon be yours.

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2012, 06:27:20 am »

Loving it so far, keep the updates coming!

Great to hear you are looking at Byzantion, I always loved the name, Byzantium that is. Such nice ring to it. Two places to cross? Eh, I guess that makes for two places to guard. Still, that region fits nicely as your western border for the time being.

I see a lot of towers, its been a while since I played but you can build fortresses too, right? Planning to build one in a mountain pass maybe?

Oh, does having soldiers in the field incur extra cost compared to having them in city or a fortress?

And finally, does some of those buildings in the city provide garrisons in the event of an attack? That is, units that are not normally part of your army?
They decided to leave my fortress via the circus because the front door was locked to keep Goblins out.  THAT should be an interesting trip back to the Mountainhome.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Europa Barbarorum - Pontos - Update #9
« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2012, 11:05:28 am »

Loving it so far, keep the updates coming!

Great to hear you are looking at Byzantion, I always loved the name, Byzantium that is. Such nice ring to it. Two places to cross? Eh, I guess that makes for two places to guard. Still, that region fits nicely as your western border for the time being.

I see a lot of towers, its been a while since I played but you can build fortresses too, right? Planning to build one in a mountain pass maybe?

Oh, does having soldiers in the field incur extra cost compared to having them in city or a fortress?

And finally, does some of those buildings in the city provide garrisons in the event of an attack? That is, units that are not normally part of your army?

1. A single army is enough to protect both passes assuming enemy doesn't overwhelm both passes simultaneously.
2. Forts can be built, but it's easier to win a bridge battle than a fort siege as a defender. This allows me to have as few units as possible defending at home, while most of the troops are out there conquering additional provinces.
3. There is a feature in Medieval 2 that enables free upkeep for units in cities, no such thing in Rome or its mods though. At least I haven't come upon anything like that in the RTW mods that I've tried.
4. Nothing like that in EB. Not that I'm a huge fan of that sort of thing. Bad memories from launch day Third Age: Total War for M2TW. Nothing like frigging trolls spawning while I'm trying to conquer some minor border province with low grade militias. Agh.

Glad to hear you like this.

--

Chapter 9 - New units and other advances

Spoiler: Battle of Mytilene (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Chariot testing (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Battle of Trapezous (click to show/hide)

hostergaard

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull lever R
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2012, 06:16:03 am »

Nice, things are turning out nicely. Could you post a map of the two crossings (near Byzantium) so I can have a closer look?

I personally always liked city garrisons. I always felt it was unrealistic that a major city with huge walls would just flop over with no fight if I did not have an army posted there, they should at least have a rabble of peasant to form a ragtag militia. Having that kind of permanent guard makes for one less thing to worry about. Its kind of annoying having to station part of my military in some secure province because else they would just capitulate to whatever small time bandit or rebel that decided to come knocking.
Still, I guess there is certain balancing issues, you are right in that. While I don't think there should be hard limits, sometimes you want a big militia for a small town because its an important border village, there certainly be some cost associated with upgrading outside what a town of the given size normally would support. Thus making it unattractive to build large garrison buildings for unimportant places.

To bad about the forts, it would be great if one could spend turns upgrading the forts so they became more than square deathtraps. Perhaps integrate them with features like bridges.

Thanks for the answers!

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2012, 08:54:58 pm »

I think that was instituted in Empire, and you get a couple free upkeep units in Medieval II cities.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5