Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878455 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #6150 on: May 16, 2014, 07:32:16 am »

Okay so I have a missing dwarf and I need some input,

First there is a possibility that I may have closed a bridge on her, but I am pretty sure when I did that in another save I got a a death message. Is that something that occurs only after you raise the bridge again? Could she be dead and eaten by the Goblin I was trying to protect the children from? If it isn't one of those I should look for a vampire right?

Does she still show up in the unit list?  Have you tried zooming to her from there?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6151 on: May 16, 2014, 09:46:01 am »

She shows up but I can't zoom to her, nor can I view her thoughts anymore. I raised the bridge and she wasn't under there, so I am assuming I locked her outside with a goblin and being a member of my ill equipped militia she tried to kill him but ended up on the other end. I just wish I could send my dwarfs to specifically look for her.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6152 on: May 16, 2014, 11:29:04 am »

I just wish I could send my dwarfs to specifically look for her.

You can, in a way, by sending out a militia squad to her last known whereabouts.  Assuming, that is, that there's nothing too near the place that they'd rather beat the crud out of.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6153 on: May 16, 2014, 01:53:55 pm »

She showed up as a ghost, so I carved out a slab for her. Problem is I don't know where she was last. I managed to view information about her by going through her husbands relationship screen. She is very skinny, missing her upper body, cannot breath, see, grasp or stand. I have no combat reports relating to her so unless they are hidden unless observed, I have no clue what happened. It has raised a couple of questions though.

Her husband doesn't seem to care that she was missing or that she came back as a ghost. I did make her a slab pretty quickly but shouldn't a negative thought have been generated somewhere?

I have finally gotten around to making equipment for my military but can't seem to make metal high boots. Looking on the wiki page for armor does indicate that I should be able to, is this an error on the wiki or is there something I don't know.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6154 on: May 16, 2014, 03:20:24 pm »

High/Low Boots are civ specific, similar to trousers vs. dresses.  A civ won't have knowledge of all types of things to make, but will have at least one in each area to wear goods.  My guess is you got low boots.

The corpse causes the bad thoughts, not the ghost.  When/If you find the body, the dwarf will care.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6155 on: May 16, 2014, 03:33:11 pm »

What all happens automatically when a dwarf dies. I think I saw a pet become available. I saw squad captain positions free up.
 But beds, offices and the like,  I have to figure that out manually, don't I.

Rooms free up automatically, you don't have to free them yourself. Though if the dwarf has a spouse that is still alive, they will still own some rooms. I think it's just bedrooms that are shared, but I'm not completely certain.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6156 on: May 16, 2014, 04:20:36 pm »

So at this point not finding the body is a good thing, if I can stand not knowing the exact circumstances of her death.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6157 on: May 16, 2014, 06:06:04 pm »

Have you checked the expanded stock list for corpses?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6158 on: May 16, 2014, 07:37:23 pm »

I had started this fort as a minimal embark. One stone, one metal bar and the wagon just to see if I could get to a viable fort it was surprisingly easy to do so but since I managed too I haven't had any !FUN! besides there are a bunch of things I want to tweak in my settings and I am thinking about trying to mod in drakes (as about foot long dragon-type exotic pets cause that is how I think of them) which would require a new world gen.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6159 on: May 18, 2014, 01:15:03 pm »

If I have multiple one-dwarf squads bunkered in the same room, is it possible dwarves will get together to spar? The squads won't have any active orders, so they don't work themselves to death.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6160 on: May 18, 2014, 02:43:37 pm »

If I have multiple one-dwarf squads bunkered in the same room, is it possible dwarves will get together to spar? The squads won't have any active orders, so they don't work themselves to death.

They have to be in the same squad to spar or do demonstrations together.

If they are all in separate squads they will all practice on their own.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6161 on: May 18, 2014, 02:49:17 pm »

I am starting with an above ground fort, I may or may not move under the earth later but I was curious if there was any downside to using roads instead of floors when you can do so?

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6162 on: May 18, 2014, 02:56:38 pm »

I am starting with an above ground fort, I may or may not move under the earth later but I was curious if there was any downside to using roads instead of floors when you can do so?

One small downside is that if you later decide to change your planning, you'll have to rip up the entire road, as opposed to any single tile of floor.  Also, roads require architecture, whereas floors do not.
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6163 on: May 18, 2014, 03:07:18 pm »

I think I can live with both of those. But your dwarves make no distinction between the two, a room with a paved road is just as good as a room with a proper floor?

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6164 on: May 18, 2014, 03:14:31 pm »

I think I can live with both of those. But your dwarves make no distinction between the two, a room with a paved road is just as good as a room with a proper floor?

Good question.  The wiki is vague on the matter; I don't think that roads add to a room's value to the same degree as floors, but that's just a guess.  The materials used for a road, however, will; I'm sure of that much.
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
Pages: 1 ... 409 410 [411] 412 413 ... 422