Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878448 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #6135 on: May 03, 2014, 08:37:47 am »

necromancy is an honorable old forum skill :)
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: May 11, 2014, 09:48:05 am »

my search terms haven't turned anything up so far....

When I am viewing coordinates below the ground surface where I haven't tunneled yet the space is unrevealed...except for occasional symbols here and there. I can't tell you what they are normally, but with IronHand(?) graphics mod they look like boxes to me. I don't get any information when I look('k') at them, and I just paid specific attention when I mined one of them and there was nothing there.

What do these spaces mean?

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: May 11, 2014, 10:09:59 am »

I think you might be referring to the , and . and % that usually appear, so that the unrevealed space isn't monotonous.

If so, they serve no function or have any special meaning apart from looks.
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: May 12, 2014, 10:41:39 pm »

I'm having a stockpile issue. I've set up a stockpile for mechanisms only, but no mechanisms are being hauled to it. It's right next to the mechanic's shops, there are many idle dwarves with furniture hauling enabled, and many mechanisms with no task set for them. The stockpile is set to accept all materials and qualities, with mechanisms as the only allowed type. When I check the (j)ob menu, i don't see any jobs pending for any furniture stockpiles. I've tried deleting and recreating the piles. The only burrow i've created is a civ alert burrow, which is not currently active, and includes both the shops and the piles anyway. I am seeing an occassional "item misplaced" cancellation announcement, but i suspect it's coming from unpathable refuse. I'm really scratching my head over this one. Any help or advice?

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: May 13, 2014, 12:24:36 am »

Can't think of anything besides the usual stuff. Are you sure the pile is set to accept from anywhere, that the workshop isn't set to give to a pile, that there is no other pile that accepts mechanisms, that dwarfs have a clear path to it(pile or workshop) (ie no buildings/constructions blocking the path), that you're dwarfs aren't just being lazy.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Krawdad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: May 13, 2014, 01:36:16 pm »

If you hit 'T' and hover over the Mechanic's Workshop, are the mechanisms all still laying inside the workshop? If not, go to the Stocks menu and locate mechanism section. Hit Tab to expand the list, select a mechanism that isn't in a construction (yellow by default I think), then (z)oom to it and see if it is being stored in another stockpile by accident. If they are all just inside your workshop, try setting the furniture stockpile to '(t)ake' from the workshop explicitly.

Not sure how tightly you have your hauling tasks designated, but if this still doesn't fix it, try enabling Item Hauling for more dwarves. This might be one of those things where it's actually an item, but is stored in a furniture stockpile.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6141 on: May 13, 2014, 01:40:54 pm »

if there's no burrows and there's eligible dwarves to move them, then its somewhere in the stockpile settings.  Possible restrictions on stockpile material, item quality, item type, or where the stockpile is allowed to accept items from.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: May 13, 2014, 06:21:49 pm »

Thanks for the replies.
if there's no burrows and there's eligible dwarves to move them, then its somewhere in the stockpile settings.  Possible restrictions on stockpile material, item quality, item type, or where the stockpile is allowed to accept items from.
The only restriction set on the piles (i made another to see if it would work, and also allowed blocks, which were hauled normally) was to disable all item types except mechanisms. I did this by selecting "forbid types" and then reenabling mechanisms. When i'm back in front of my computer i'll try recreating the pile by disabling each type manually and see if that helps. The pile is set to take from anywhere.

If you hit 'T' and hover over the Mechanic's Workshop, are the mechanisms all still laying inside the workshop? If not, go to the Stocks menu and locate mechanism section. Hit Tab to expand the list, select a mechanism that isn't in a construction (yellow by default I think), then (z)oom to it and see if it is being stored in another stockpile by accident. If they are all just inside your workshop, try setting the furniture stockpile to '(t)ake' from the workshop explicitly.

Not sure how tightly you have your hauling tasks designated, but if this still doesn't fix it, try enabling Item Hauling for more dwarves. This might be one of those things where it's actually an item, but is stored in a furniture stockpile.
Yeah, i made the pile in the first place because the shops were both cluttered. I tend to leave non-metal industry products in their shops until they're needed or until the workshops get cluttered. All of my dwarves that have furniture hauling enabled also have item hauling on. I'll try linking the piles to the shops.
Can't think of anything besides the usual stuff. Are you sure the pile is set to accept from anywhere, that the workshop isn't set to give to a pile, that there is no other pile that accepts mechanisms, that dwarfs have a clear path to it(pile or workshop) (ie no buildings/constructions blocking the path), that you're dwarfs aren't just being lazy.
Checked, double checked, and triple checked all of the above. Except for the lazy dwarves bit, which i am certain is the case. Fond of industry indeed.
I'll update if I figure out where i broke it, but if i can't i'll just deconstruct the shops and quantum dump the mechanisms. Thanks.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: May 13, 2014, 06:35:19 pm »

I was playing earlier and made some ash around mid-spring, I've just entered winter and only one of the bars was moved to the appropriate stockpile. Interestingly enough a bunch of piles were set up the same way but instead of setting them up after creating the items I did so before and they work as expected.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #6144 on: May 13, 2014, 06:48:26 pm »

m-logik, you may have already tried this, but:

Perhaps you could break up the log-jam by setting up a general furniture stockpile, linking it to <g>ive to your mechanism-only pile?
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: May 15, 2014, 06:20:11 pm »

Also, make sure that a) you haven't mass-forbid your mechanisms in the shop somehow by accident, that b) you didn't accidentally forbid the stockpile from taking certain materials/quality items while you were forbidding the item types, and that c) your stockpile is actually accessible. Oh, and d) that you haven't accidentally made the stockpile use a wheelbarrow, if you don't have any free.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: May 15, 2014, 08:54:28 pm »

Additionally, make sure you didn't accidentally set the stockpile to 'take from links only'.  My usual faux pas.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: May 15, 2014, 10:58:41 pm »

Oh, and make sure you didn't accidentally turn off whatever type of hauling it is (furniture? Not sure) from the (o)rders menu. That gets me sometimes.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6148 on: May 16, 2014, 12:51:30 am »

Okay so I have a missing dwarf and I need some input,

First there is a possibility that I may have closed a bridge on her, but I am pretty sure when I did that in another save I got a a death message. Is that something that occurs only after you raise the bridge again? Could she be dead and eaten by the Goblin I was trying to protect the children from? If it isn't one of those I should look for a vampire right?

indyofcomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: May 16, 2014, 01:12:42 am »

What all happens automatically when a dwarf dies. I think I saw a pet become available. I saw squad captain positions free up.
 But beds, offices and the like,  I have to figure that out manually, don't I.
Pages: 1 ... 408 409 [410] 411 412 ... 422