Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878444 times)

thesuker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #6105 on: April 10, 2014, 06:47:12 am »

I have 60 dwarfs, and around 15 idlers on a normal basis

also, I seem to have run out of cave wheat spawns.  Is this normal?  Shouldn't I get more spawns when recollecting what I planted?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 07:01:58 am by thesuker »

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6106 on: April 10, 2014, 07:03:06 am »

That's an okay number. You should think of this as an investment for the future: they will marry and procreate, so your fort will sustain itself without migrants!
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6107 on: April 10, 2014, 07:14:51 am »

No cave wheat seeds:
Check your inventory (you can do this in the kitchen screen) - are any "cave wheat seed" listed as available? If yes, you haven't run out, some hauler is moving a container holding all your cave wheat seeds. This most often happens if you allow seeds to be stored in barrels. Make dedicated seed stockpiles close to your farms only allowing seeds and with zero barrels allowed. Forbid seeds on _every_ other stockpile - dwarfs prioritise putting items in containers and will cheerfully drag all seeds to a stockpile at the arse-end of nowhere because they can be stuffed in a barrel there, never to be useful to you again.

If you really have no usable cave wheat seeds, you need to make use of the raw plants you have - cave wheat needs to be milled or brewed and will not give new seeds otherwise. And you shouldn't allow the cooking of seeds, but that's switched off by default anyway.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6108 on: April 10, 2014, 09:30:06 am »

I've modified entity_default to have:
Code: [Select]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE:APPALLING]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_ANIMAL:ACCEPTABLE]
But no dwarves show up with trophies. What gives?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6109 on: April 10, 2014, 10:16:15 am »

I've modified entity_default to have:
Code: [Select]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAME_RACE:APPALLING]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_SAPIENT:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:MAKE_TROPHY_ANIMAL:ACCEPTABLE]
But no dwarves show up with trophies. What gives?

They have to actually kill something in order to make a trophy out of it. If you get any migrants who had done some traveling, participated in some wars, or had attacked/been attacked by megabeasts or notable animals, then they may show up with some trinkets.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6110 on: April 10, 2014, 10:17:41 am »

And dwarves inside the fortress getting a kill will make trophies, right?

RtDs!

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6111 on: April 10, 2014, 10:28:44 am »

Not really. Trophies are things like rings, earrings, crowns, amulets, and bracelets.

You can make these yourself in a few different workshops. Though some things such as hair or nail trinkets aren't possible to make in fort, even though they are made during world-generation.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6112 on: April 10, 2014, 10:58:26 am »

I haven't fiddled with ethics, but i've seen several dwarfs who had hunted beasts before visiting the fort. Those will sometimes arrive wearing a few pieces of animal jewellery; bone rings, tooth bracelets, stuff like that. They usually drop it at some point and then go and store it in their room, if they have one.

Your own hunters will not create trophies from the animals they kill. You can of course make bone crafts from hunters' catches, but there's no "make trophy" labour/job connected to hunting. I'd expect the same behaviour from your goblinised dwarfs - immigrants with pre-immigration sapient kills may arrive with a few bone trinkets, but on-site, human bone earrings will need to be produced by bone carvers, the soldiers won't make keepsakes from bits of their slain foes.

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6113 on: April 10, 2014, 06:26:51 pm »

Do weapons that get named and thus become artifacts, get the artifact quality combat bonuses? Or any effect beyond having a cool name/being impossible to melt(/trade?), and being forbidden from use from anyone who hasn't had any kills with it, until the killers have all been buried (after which it presumably can be used by someone, and then gets locked to that dwarf, etc.)?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6114 on: April 10, 2014, 06:35:39 pm »

Do weapons that get named and thus become artifacts, get the artifact quality combat bonuses? Or any effect beyond having a cool name/being impossible to melt(/trade?), and being forbidden from use from anyone who hasn't had any kills with it, until the killers have all been buried (after which it presumably can be used by someone, and then gets locked to that dwarf, etc.)?

They don't get artifact quality. They still retain whatever quality they had before being named. I believe they become indestructible like normal artifacts though.

I've never heard of named weapons being locked to their user, I had assumed it would work like equipment that dwarves had become attached to, in that the user would try to always use their weapon.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 06:37:39 pm by BlackFlyme »

Doktoro Reichard

• Bay Watcher
  • Lunatic formerly known as Escaped
    • View Profile
« Reply #6115 on: April 10, 2014, 07:45:55 pm »

They don't get artifact quality. They still retain whatever quality they had before being named. I believe they become indestructible like normal artifacts though.

I've never heard of named weapons being locked to their user, I had assumed it would work like equipment that dwarves had become attached to, in that the user would try to always use their weapon.

That "locking" mechanism was something I found and added to the wiki. Essentially I had crafted several weapons that later became named, due to continuous training in shooting ranges and training rooms.

Upon dealing with demons and bleeds from insufficient protection (the wooden training spears perforated the upper arms, which were unprotected at the time), several dwarves dropped dead. Some went missing, because they were disintegrated or fell into the Eerie Pits. As I checked my stocks, some named weapons were displayed the same color as forbidden items, despite not actually being forbidden. As there were no bodies to be buried, and as they were memorialized, I then concluded that the reason they became locked was because the bodies weren't buried or were missing.

-----

Also, the "artifact" quality is debatable. I recently checked some stuff with the data structure for named items using DFHack's gui/gm-editor. Besides having a general reference to the artifacts list, they also have the artifact flag turned on.
I have to write something... well here goes:
"A dwarf isn't a dwarf unless he dies the most !!FUN!! of ways", Quote unknown, possibly Armok.

Doktoro Reichard is quite pleased with making a Great Carbonite Trap

Why shouldn't you write with a broken pencil? Because it's pointless!

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6116 on: April 11, 2014, 01:59:20 pm »

Standard drowning/obsidianifying trap tunnel.
Basically a tube with bridges on both ends to seal it, in the middle a pressure plate (A). A links to a hatch, above the hatch is water, the water falls down and activates a pressure plate (B), B is linked to the sealing bridges.
How long should be the minimal distance between plate A and the inner sealing bridge, to prevent a fast creature from slipping into my fortress?

thesuker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6117 on: April 12, 2014, 03:16:02 am »

Just started exploring caverns and it's kind of crazy trying to figure out where I am, where to go to, etc.  Any tips on cavern exploration you guys may have?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6118 on: April 12, 2014, 07:15:09 am »

Just started exploring caverns and it's kind of crazy trying to figure out where I am, where to go to, etc.  Any tips on cavern exploration you guys may have?
It's usually all right to just send out your soldiers to uncover the entirety of the first cavern layer, and it is important to do this early on before Forgotten Beasts start appearing in the darkness and end up making this more difficult. Alternatively, there is a much safer route where you dig into stalactites from the safety of your tunnels, and smooth the walls/carve them into fortifications - giving you sight of the caverns without risking a single Dwarf's life.

thesuker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6119 on: April 12, 2014, 07:35:15 am »

I found a first one, which i discovered, and as I was digging around it, found one much deeper, about 10 layers deeper... would that one be unsafe to explore with soldiers?
Pages: 1 ... 406 407 [408] 409 410 ... 422