Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878970 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5550 on: November 20, 2013, 01:22:14 am »

Thanks going to need to do some surveying as it were when I get back to playing the game find a nice spot thats flat with a river.
I did try starting it today but it was a massive river and a massive hill wasn't quite what I was looking for and I wasn't sure how big a bridge I could build (Depending on where the trade caravans came from.

Rivers tend to have hills nearby.

Try an aquifer? That way you can open as much of it as you want for water and so get some semblance of control over the FPS death that will probably swamp your fort before long.

Of course, if you plan on building underground too... Well, then an aquifer might pose an interesting problem.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Twitchel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5551 on: November 20, 2013, 01:25:29 am »

yes especially considering I don't know how to skirt around that particular problem and thinking more and more on this problem and project I realize more and more that my processor needs to be beast which unfortunately it isn't along with better ram capabilities.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5552 on: November 20, 2013, 05:07:14 am »

If you're on an older machine and concerned about "FPS death", then you might consider Niccolo's tip on going with an aquifer instead of a river. Rivers tend to be more machine intensive.

If you're worried about safely digging your way through an aquifer to build your fort, the DF2012:Aquifer page gives a lot of detailed solutions. At least two of these methods have step-by-step illustrations.

Alternatively, you may find an underground source of water. I've read that if the water happens to touch a map border/edge, then it should refill indefinitely.

On FPS and system requirements:

According to the wiki (under System Requirements) and comments on the FPS issue on slow PCs thread, RAM Latency is the most significant hardware factor:

RAM doesn't really have much effect on DF - it rarely takes up more than 1 GB at a time, and that's during worldgen.
From the wiki:
The most important thing to the performance of the game, however, is undoubtedly RAM latency—the amount of lag the RAM has when working. Dwarf Fortress works the RAM every single frame for every single creature, every single item, every single piece of liquid, the temperature of every tile—you get the picture. The gigantic amount of operations working at the same time—which any current processor could handle much faster than what you see—is primarily bottlenecked by RAM latency and RAM speed.

CPU and FPS are mildly correlated, but this correlation has been attributed as a non-causative one. Rather, newer CPUs seem to come with faster RAM, but for the purpose of a Dwarf Fortress computer, RAM is more important.

RAM speed is definitely more important than multiple processor cores as DF can't take much advantage of that.

For more in-game tips on maximizing your FPS, see the DF2012:Maximizing framerate wiki page.

Twitchel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5553 on: November 20, 2013, 06:36:49 am »

Thanks definitely feel better about posting these questions now (Along with being able to geek out with more people who love Tormenting leading our dorfs through life) 
and as to my plumbing system i was thinking more along the lines of having something set up to pump it back out and into the river topside once it eventually finds a place to set as it were in the fortress so that I don't have to worry about stagnant dirty water or evaporation which would most likely happen using the floodgate/reservoir method.  but then the problem with that would be piping it in a way so that it keeps pressure but not too much pressure as it's flowing through. might have to look for some tutorials but I havent had much luck in finding something that I Envision most of the ones I've seen have just been kind of basic aqueducts and the only one that was really complicated was riothouselp's lets play series on youtube.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2013, 01:27:25 pm by Twitchel »

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5554 on: November 20, 2013, 03:09:02 pm »

and as to my plumbing system i was thinking more along the lines of having something set up to pump it back out and into the river topside once it eventually finds a place to set as it were in the fortress so that I don't have to worry about stagnant dirty water or evaporation which would most likely happen using the floodgate/reservoir method. 

Don't do that.  Simply use an 'edge drain'.  Run a drain pipe to the edge of map underground, then smooth and fortify the outer block.  That'll allow you to drain the water off the map with no issues.

Twitchel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5555 on: November 20, 2013, 03:35:34 pm »

well thank you for that I could have gotten a bit dorfy on that one What is it that most dwarven engineering projects end with. "Well that was more complicated than expected." I believe most engineering projects are or at least I've heard of for this game anyways

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5556 on: November 20, 2013, 04:03:01 pm »

It's probably because most megaprojects don't have their processes detailed in the same way that the process of setting up a cloth or metal industry is detailed on the wiki and by questions on the forums.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5557 on: November 20, 2013, 06:44:39 pm »

Mine so far usually end with "Hmpf, I get it now, I could have done that a lot easier/faster/more eficient (safer optional)"
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5558 on: November 20, 2013, 08:35:12 pm »

Mine so far usually end with "Hmpf, I get it now, I could have done that a lot easier/faster/more eficient (safer optional)"

...in less space
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

Twitchel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5559 on: November 20, 2013, 09:02:42 pm »

Now how does one create a pump stack (I'm assuming that's how you efficiently pump water upwards) considering I plan on building above ground and into the sky Maybe something like 8 towers 4 of which being for defensive purposes (Holding barracks and hospitals) pluss the logistics needed for those well not necessarily all of the logistics but you know what I mean. and then 4 inner towers probably surrounding a central spire all interconnected at various points for the transport of both dwarves and water for the plumbing

with a wall thats at least 6 or more in depth so that it can be somewhat hollow yet strong fortifications at strategic points and the like  as I said when I posted it's a mega project

Finn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5560 on: November 20, 2013, 09:42:29 pm »

Now how does one create a pump stack (I'm assuming that's how you efficiently pump water upwards) considering I plan on building above ground and into the sky Maybe something like 8 towers 4 of which being for defensive purposes (Holding barracks and hospitals) pluss the logistics needed for those well not necessarily all of the logistics but you know what I mean. and then 4 inner towers probably surrounding a central spire all interconnected at various points for the transport of both dwarves and water for the plumbing

with a wall thats at least 6 or more in depth so that it can be somewhat hollow yet strong fortifications at strategic points and the like  as I said when I posted it's a mega project

The wiki is your friend here:  http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Pump_stack#Pump_stack
I thought 'complained about the draft lately' meant they didn't have a door to their room.

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5561 on: November 22, 2013, 11:32:04 am »

Do children (not babies) actually need bedrooms? Do they get negative thoughts for sleeping in the dirt and such? I never noticed.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5562 on: November 22, 2013, 12:29:24 pm »

I'm pretty positive that they don't get bad thoughts from not sleeping in their own bed.  I believe they'll sleep in their parents' bed anyway.  Sleeping in the dirt or rain I'm not sure about, but I don't recall ever seeing this thought on a child.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5563 on: November 22, 2013, 02:31:25 pm »

yes, children use their parents bed. It seems the unlimited space in cages also goes for beds, as quite huge families are completely satisfied with just one bed
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5564 on: November 22, 2013, 02:36:42 pm »

Giving the babies and children their own bed also helps you control their whereabouts when you assign them a burrow.
Pages: 1 ... 369 370 [371] 372 373 ... 422