Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878923 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5565 on: November 22, 2013, 06:13:52 pm »

yes, children use their parents bed.

That doesn't exactly match my experience.  My dwarf children grab bedrooms for themselves and sleep there by preference.  Then again I'm normally playing the LFR mod, but I'm not sure if that's a thing that can be modded.....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5566 on: November 22, 2013, 07:21:03 pm »

Giving the babies and children their own bed also helps you control their whereabouts when you assign them a burrow.

definately not the babies. They either get carried around or die, usually. Now I'm not sure about the kids anymore, although I am sure that they won't complain if they still live at their parent's place, nor will their parents complain. Babies however really have no choice but go where their mother goes :D
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5567 on: November 22, 2013, 07:36:51 pm »

Giving the babies and children their own bed also helps you control their whereabouts when you assign them a burrow.

definately not the babies. They either get carried around or die, usually. Now I'm not sure about the kids anymore, although I am sure that they won't complain if they still live at their parent's place, nor will their parents complain. Babies however really have no choice but go where their mother goes :D

I know, but I believe you can set a bed for babies. They just won't actually use it until they become a child.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5568 on: November 22, 2013, 07:46:59 pm »

That doesn't exactly match my experience.  My dwarf children grab bedrooms for themselves and sleep there by preference.  Then again I'm normally playing the LFR mod, but I'm not sure if that's a thing that can be modded.....

Like adult dwarves, children will usually beeline for the nearest free bed. Children can share a bed with their parents without any negative thoughts. I've seen some go for their own rooms, and others being a "mommy's boy" of sorts and choosing their parent's bed instead. But that's just my experience, and I've seen kids snub an empty room right next to them in favour of their parent's, even though it's on the far side of the fort.

Being able to set sleeping preferences isn't a thing that I'm aware of.

Lohakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5569 on: November 23, 2013, 02:02:28 pm »

A newbie question:
A have three cages with monkeys. A set them to "ready for slaughter" and for two seasons nothing happened.
A butcher and his shop exists. What is wrong?

I think animals need to be outside the cages to be butchered... if the monkeys are not tame, you should assign them trainer through the Z menu and wait for them to become at least semi-wild before releasing them from the cage and butchering them.

Make sure you have someone with training and butchering labour enabled. The training reverts back to its old state after a while so you might want to  be careful.

Animals in cages CAN be butchered. But, if the cages are in a stockpile, then they WON'T be taken from their cages; the entire monkey-in-a-cage is treated as a discrete object while it's stockpiled. The monkey, to all intents and purposes, is in a completely separate dimension and can't be interacted with as long as the cage is stockpiled.

You need to build the cage ({b} - {j} if I'm not mistaken), which turns the cage into a building. Then the butcher will wrestle the monkey out of the cage and into his butcher shop, where he'll cut its throat and turn it into monkey meat.

Have fun, you monster.

Uh, I have no problems whatsoever with dwarves butchering animals that are in cages that are in a stockpile. The OP just has to get them trained.
You helped me a lot. I solved  the case :-) The caught wild animal must be in a separate cage next to butchery and must be at least semi-tamed (this takes a minute for a trainer).  Thanks!

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5570 on: November 23, 2013, 10:00:37 pm »

Some children seem to like hanging around their parents' place, but most will claim and use a bedroom of their own, given the opportunity.

It's not too relevant for me, because i've stopped giving each dwarf their own bedroom and only provide them for favoured dwarfs, nobles with rooming requirements and families. The sock hoarding situation is bad enough as is, individual bedrooms make old clothes management orders of magnitude worse.

Providing lavish family bedrooms is actually quite useful for happiness - all children will by default use their parents' bedroom if they have no individual room, and they'll receive the same "slept in a good room" feelings as their parents. For large families, i usually stick several beds into their rooms, to avoid massive dwarfstacks in single beds.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5571 on: November 24, 2013, 01:37:53 am »

I'm having trouble finding flux when I search for it on a map at embark....
I'm frankly confused because it does this a lot
On the minerals bit (I use custom maps), am I supposed to set it high or low when I want lots of flux, metals, ores, gems, etc?
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

WoobMonkey

• Bay Watcher
  • High Lobster of Fluffy Wamblers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5572 on: November 24, 2013, 01:47:53 am »

I'm having trouble finding flux when I search for it on a map at embark....
I'm frankly confused because it does this a lot
On the minerals bit (I use custom maps), am I supposed to set it high or low when I want lots of flux, metals, ores, gems, etc?

If you set your mineral scarcity to anything below 250 (in advanced worldgen), or set mineral scarcity to 'everywhere' in basic worldgen, flux will not show up on the pre-embark <f>ind search, because it's literally everywhere.
Edangzak Utharsanad Gedor - think you have what it takes?
CharmCrafted

The dog misses the ball!
The ball softly hits Urist McTrainer in the head, breaking the paper-thin skull and denting the non-existent brain!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5573 on: November 24, 2013, 03:40:33 am »

the presence of flux is not influenced by mineral scarcity. As mentioned, pretty much any place can have flux, though usually it's some marble almost all the way down. You could generate a world with higher scarcity, look for flux, and see if you can find a pattern in where it appears. You should be able to find one, as flux (and iron) is plentiful in sedimentary layers. Find out where to find sedimentary layers and you got a good chance at flux (and iron).When in doubt and you're not against dfhack, you can prospect a site before embark too, though it's not completely accurate when used this way.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5574 on: November 24, 2013, 08:24:18 am »

Mineral scarcity controls how many veins and clusters will appear in layers, not the layers themselves. With the exeption of calcite, flux in this context is not a mineral. It is the substrate in which minerals appear.

The problem with the site finder and flux is that if you set mineral scarcity low enough, the flux gets squeezed out of the list that the site finder consults. It's still there, but it's not registering.

Quick tip: if you don't want to use DFHack, you can check for flux upon embark by consulting the Stones screen. If you have flux, it'll be green on the list despite still being an economic stone.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5575 on: November 24, 2013, 12:47:50 pm »

Is it dangerous to settle on any area that is in the "Good" Spectrum?
I also modified my X and Y variance bits, and I have a bit too wide mountain ranges this time haha. I'll adapt the map next time.
I'm curious if it is massively dangerous to settle in Untamed Wilds, or Good Spectrum Biomes?
I know about Gnomes and Satyrs and such, along with dangerous Fauna, but I think I'm at the stage I can handle it.
I've also modded it to where a lot of animals can show up in a lot of places, so many of the areas are likely just as risky.
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5576 on: November 24, 2013, 12:54:07 pm »

At the moment, there's nothing that really makes a "Good" biome dangerous.

The "Good" animals are benign, so they likely won't bother you much. Though "Untamed Wilds" and "Joyous Wilds" are both savage locales, so you will see giant animals and animal-men.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5577 on: November 24, 2013, 12:56:46 pm »

If you want MASSIVELY dangerous, embark on an evil biome. The good spectrum biomes are functionally no different from the neutral biomes.

At the moment, there's nothing that really makes a "Good" biome dangerous.

The "Good" animals are benign, so they likely won't bother you much. Though "Untamed Wilds" and "Joyous Wilds" are both savage locales, so you will see giant animals and animal-men.

Except for the unicorns, watch out for those guys, they may be 'benign', but they are pretty dangerous.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5578 on: November 24, 2013, 01:03:02 pm »

Not looking for dangerous, just trying to gauge difficulty....
Will it be harder to find plants and animals?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5579 on: November 24, 2013, 01:28:57 pm »

most 'good' animals are indeed benign, as mentioned watch out for unicorns, they're dangerous (but pretty). No dangerous weather, no other problems.
Pages: 1 ... 370 371 [372] 373 374 ... 422