Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878965 times)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Sweet top hat]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5430 on: October 21, 2013, 08:10:37 am »

Judging by how silk collectors briefly become webimmune when harvesting various spider silks, am I safe in assuming that it is perfectly ok to send my craftsdwarves out to collect a field of FB silk that has covered my traps without them ending in gory deaths?

Try it and find out :P

It really depends on at what point in the process the 'webimmune' part kicks in. But I'd assume so, yes.
What's wrong with using magma? That's almost always the easiest method.
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5431 on: October 21, 2013, 09:06:43 am »

yes and no. They're webimmune for the web they collect, but have a habit of getting caught in various webs on the way. In the caverns that doesn't have to be a big problem, but on top of a weapons trap it may be, as you say, gory

edit:
I'm not 100% sure though, but I remember some cancelations from silk collectors because they were stuck in a web
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5432 on: October 21, 2013, 12:19:50 pm »

I just checked it, and dwarfs on a "collect web" job will walk over extant webs without getting entangled. I think the job itself makes them web-immune, from the moment they embark on the job until they drop off the thread at the loom. My test dwarf walked over three FB webs both on the way to and on the way from the collected web.

I guess a weaver who got "interrupted" on the collection job (e.g. by a nearby giant cave spider) could get webbed.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5433 on: October 21, 2013, 03:49:17 pm »

I just checked it, and dwarfs on a "collect web" job will walk over extant webs without getting entangled. I think the job itself makes them web-immune, from the moment they embark on the job until they drop off the thread at the loom.

That matches my experience as well.  However, I would not assume this makes them trap-immune in general (e.g. if they should fall unconscious onto a cage trap, or walk over a pressure plate set to trigger on citizens).  It may -- I don't really know -- but I wouldn't assume it without testing.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5434 on: October 22, 2013, 01:12:26 pm »

How long do sieges usually last? I got a goblin siege but my fort only has 35 dorfs (I had 115 but an incompetent military happened).

After one and a half seasons of siege ANOTHER vile force arrived. How long am I going to have to sit this out? I'm fairly certain I can sit this out as long as I like, it's just rather boring.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5435 on: October 22, 2013, 07:07:55 pm »

iirc, sieges usually last a season (goblin ones at least) barring glitches and such like a goblin getting stuck in a dry moat or something. Yes, the next siege may arrive pretty much when the last one ended. When that started with me it usually goes on for a while. An older fort (15+ years) with a high wealth can sometimes be pretty much constantly sieged
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5436 on: October 23, 2013, 12:14:59 pm »

I just had an idea which brings up the following question: Will a drawbridge raise and lower if it is totally submerged in water?  If no one is certain, I'll do the test when I get home.

Secondary question: Does a dwarven atom smasher only effect things on its own z-level?  EG will it destroy items in a pit one level down?
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Urist McRas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5437 on: October 23, 2013, 01:38:21 pm »

Will a drawbridge raise and lower if it is totally submerged in water?

Yes, I used the design as water destroyer.

The fortresses are penal colonies.
The mountainhome has far too many degenerates too deal with by itself, so it sends out minor nobles to establish penal colonies across the world.

Lohakar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5438 on: October 25, 2013, 03:45:19 am »

Animals inside cages which are scheduled for slaughter will be taken out of the cage and led to the butcher's shop.

A newbie question:
A have three cages with monkeys. A set them to "ready for slaughter" and for two seasons nothing happened.
A butcher and his shop exists. What is wrong?

Tarqiup Inua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5439 on: October 25, 2013, 05:07:22 am »

I think animals need to be outside the cages to be butchered... if the monkeys are not tame, you should assign them trainer through the Z menu and wait for them to become at least semi-wild before releasing them from the cage and butchering them.

Make sure you have someone with training and butchering labour enabled. The training reverts back to its old state after a while so you might want to  be careful.
Nuri al-Gnat - dwarven apidologist
notable works: al-Gnat's test (for determining the child snatcher's ability to pass undetected while getting stung by bees... or at least look human while at it)

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5440 on: October 25, 2013, 05:08:39 am »

A newbie question:
A have three cages with monkeys. A set them to "ready for slaughter" and for two seasons nothing happened.

I think animals need to be outside the cages to be butchered... if the monkeys are not tame, you should assign them trainer through the Z menu and wait for them to become at least semi-wild before releasing them from the cage and butchering them.

Make sure you have someone with training and butchering labour enabled. The training reverts back to its old state after a while so you might want to  be careful.

Animals in cages CAN be butchered. But, if the cages are in a stockpile, then they WON'T be taken from their cages; the entire monkey-in-a-cage is treated as a discrete object while it's stockpiled. The monkey, to all intents and purposes, is in a completely separate dimension and can't be interacted with as long as the cage is stockpiled.

You need to build the cage ({b} - {j} if I'm not mistaken), which turns the cage into a building. Then the butcher will wrestle the monkey out of the cage and into his butcher shop, where he'll cut its throat and turn it into monkey meat.

Have fun, you monster.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 05:10:45 am by Niccolo »
I have issues channeling it properly to do that method. I end up flooding the fortress with magma.
Check out my RtD!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5441 on: October 25, 2013, 08:39:51 am »

A newbie question:

Animals in cages CAN be butchered. But, if the cages are in a stockpile, then they WON'T be taken from their cages; the entire monkey-in-a-cage is treated as a discrete object while it's stockpiled. The monkey, to all intents and purposes, is in a completely separate dimension and can't be interacted with as long as the cage is stockpiled.

You need to build the cage ({b} - {j} if I'm not mistaken), which turns the cage into a building. Then the butcher will wrestle the monkey out of the cage and into his butcher shop, where he'll cut its throat and turn it into monkey meat.

Have fun, you monster.

Uh, I have no problems whatsoever with dwarves butchering animals that are in cages that are in a stockpile. The OP just has to get them trained.

Niccolo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5442 on: October 25, 2013, 01:34:18 pm »

Seriously? I've never been able to get my dwarves to interact with caged-and-stockpiled critters. Huh. Well, I guess we all learn something new every day!
Check out my RtD!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5443 on: October 25, 2013, 03:16:24 pm »

Yes, no idea why you would be having trouble though.

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5444 on: October 25, 2013, 04:42:32 pm »

Yes, no idea why you would be having trouble though.
Butchery isn't a particularly high-priority job, so if he's got a fort with few idlers and only a couple guys have it turned on it would take a few months for the little morons to kill the damn monkeys. Hell, a couple seasons would be quite possible. A year, or even two, would not be particularly surprising if he's got a big construction job going going and all the potential butchers have masonry enabled. And if you're a DF Newby staring at the butcher's shop waiting for Death to Come to Damn Monkeys you probably think there's a problem at a couple months.

I suspect the best solution will be for him to enable butchery on half the fortress. The animal dies as soon as it enters the butcher shop, so it doesn't really matter who does the job.

Other possibilities include burrows, accidentally forbidding the cage, and accidentally forbidding the butcher-shop.
Pages: 1 ... 361 362 [363] 364 365 ... 422