Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 878990 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5385 on: October 13, 2013, 07:32:00 am »

is it possible the migrant is listed as friendly and not acting as a regular migrant would (heading for the fort and working)? If that is the case you encountered a known bug
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Serefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5386 on: October 13, 2013, 09:47:10 am »

is it possible the migrant is listed as friendly and not acting as a regular migrant would (heading for the fort and working)? If that is the case you encountered a known bug

You're right, he is being a lazy sack meat. Thanks at any rate. So there's nothing I can do to view his family relations? I've been building a heritage tree so it'd be a shame.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: October 13, 2013, 01:08:51 pm »

dfhack has a tweak to fix the bug, select the migrant somehow and type 'tweak fixmigrant' iirc and the migrant will join your fort like it was intended to
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: October 13, 2013, 03:07:24 pm »

Way back in the earlier versions during 2009 and 2010, I recall that having lots of trees causes FPS problems, so I stuck to deserts to try and avoid that. So, I'm just wondering if having a thick forest or whatever on embark causes FPS problems still? Although I don't remember if it was because of the trees just being there or because of pathing problems back then.

WIth this version, there doesn't seem to be any problem with lots of trees (caverns for example), though there is an understandable drop due to pathing through thickly forested caverns.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: October 13, 2013, 04:13:36 pm »

there may be some drop, but my experience is that pathing is minor comparable to no. of creatures and no. of items. I've embarked on forests, swamps and plains and never noticed much difference. I started playing 2010, so I don't know from before that

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5390 on: October 14, 2013, 03:23:34 am »

I could've sworn that I'd read on the forums (actually, I thought it was in this thread, but I can't find it), that it was possible to get your dwarves to slaughter caged animals, & leave the results in the cage, where they won't rot (thus preventing miasma in a workshop that hasn't been exposed to the surface).

Is my recollection correct? & if so, could someone please either point me at where it was discussed previously, or explain it to me? ('cos my latest attempt resulted in the cage being left on the stockpile & the animal being hauled to the butchers).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: October 14, 2013, 06:05:21 am »

never heard of that. I can imagine making an animal bleed heavily and putting it in the cage, where it will bleed to death

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5392 on: October 14, 2013, 06:24:20 am »

It might have been part of the discussion where someone had an animal in a cage die of old age between being marked for slaughter & being butchered, which your proposed methodology would emulate (something to do with the "slaughter" flag not being wiped at death), but I was hoping for something more generally applicable, as "old age", "starvation", & even "bleeding to death" all have complications (time taken, loss of material/size, & of course "potential loyalty cascade" or "accidental gibbing").

But thanks for the suggestion.

Edit: I could've sworn the discussion in question was fairly recent (last 2-3 weeks?).

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: October 14, 2013, 07:39:47 am »

Animals inside cages which are scheduled for slaughter will be taken out of the cage and led to the butcher's shop.

What has been reported were indeed creatures tagged for slaughter which didn't get their butchering job queued up before they died. Reports indicate that this is a workaround for the "cannot butcher the corpses of tame creatures" feature.

A potentially profitable application would be to pasture large creatures on top of a bridge, block access to the zone, tag them all for slaughter and then retract the bridge and dump them down 30+ zlevels to get more butcherable parts. If you split up an elephant into a dozen parts, you could get a full unit of leather out of every single part, while the normal slaughter job will only ever generate one hide.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: October 14, 2013, 08:30:35 am »

Ah, wishful thinking on my part then, got it.

Thanks for the help.

Also, new Question, if I equip my Sheriff/Hammerer with a Featherwood Xbow (in the absence of the ability to make training Hammers & not yet having found the candy) & no ammo, will that reduce his effectiveness in beating down criminals? (i.e. Will he club people with the lightest weapon I have access to?)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2013, 08:35:01 am by JAFANZ »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: October 14, 2013, 09:48:40 am »

Dwarves hand out beatings with their fists now.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: October 14, 2013, 12:05:30 pm »

What exactly does the creature seed do in advanced worldgen? The wiki doesn't really say. I guess its for megabeasts and stuff?

AzeTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: October 15, 2013, 11:00:21 am »

Is there any way to cap a peaked roof on a tower without building stair scaffolding all the way up the side, finishing the roof, and then deconstructing the stairs from the top down?

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: October 15, 2013, 11:24:48 am »

Is there any way to cap a peaked roof on a tower without building stair scaffolding all the way up the side, finishing the roof, and then deconstructing the stairs from the top down?

deconstruct a wall tile on the level below the roof and build out to put the stairs on. 
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

AzeTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5399 on: October 15, 2013, 11:34:56 am »

deconstruct a wall tile on the level below the roof and build out to put the stairs on.
Ah, thanks.  That certainly saves alot of time.  Now if I could just designate the order that constructions are erected...
Pages: 1 ... 358 359 [360] 361 362 ... 422