Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879003 times)

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5400 on: October 15, 2013, 03:37:08 pm »

though it might be perfectly dwarfish to simply deconstruct the bottom of a long stairs and let it fall to earth
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

AzeTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5401 on: October 15, 2013, 04:08:54 pm »

though it might be perfectly dwarfish to simply deconstruct the bottom of a long stairs and let it fall to earth
Unfortunately there is a complete lack of correlation between dwarfishness (?) and safety.  And with the average intelligence displayed by dwarves it would be a legendary getting crushed under 20 falling stairs instead of a hauler.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5402 on: October 15, 2013, 04:59:53 pm »

build the stairs on top of a support, the actual stairs reachable with a bridge, another bridge connecting the top of the stairs to the roof. After being done and desonstructing any scaffolding on the roof, you can just have the support linked to a lever, pull the lever and watch all the stairs deconstruct and fall down
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

AzeTheGreat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5403 on: October 15, 2013, 07:07:13 pm »

build the stairs on top of a support, the actual stairs reachable with a bridge, another bridge connecting the top of the stairs to the roof. After being done and desonstructing any scaffolding on the roof, you can just have the support linked to a lever, pull the lever and watch all the stairs deconstruct and fall down

Or deconstruct four stairs...

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5404 on: October 16, 2013, 01:29:10 pm »

Is there any difference in butchering returns from adolescent and adult animals? Specifically, do I need to wait another year for my pigs to mature after they become adult?

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5405 on: October 16, 2013, 02:59:08 pm »

I don't know the correct answer to that: but once my animals list changes their name to the adult version, I'm not going to look into their actual size

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5406 on: October 16, 2013, 03:42:41 pm »

I'm pretty sure creatures reach their maximum size when they become adults, aside from fat and muscular changes due to work and eating.  I'm not sure if animals experience any effect from the last two, aside from maybe grazers since they actually do eat in fort mode.

Be advised that there's a bug in the current version that makes only about 10% of animals actually reach adult size when they grow up.  There's a fix floating around you can use with DFHack, but I haven't tried using it myself.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5407 on: October 16, 2013, 04:12:24 pm »

Even if your animals are growing properly, it's probably better to butcher them as soon as they turn adult. Animal body parts return one unit of their component materials quite quickly, but it takes them a while to get to another one added to the butchery return. Compare the sheep and the llama -- llamas are over three times the size of sheep, but don't produce anywhere near three times as much stuff when butchered.

Newborn sheep are the same size as an adult turkey, so even if you slaughter them as soon as they pop out you'll get meat, bones, and skin. Not sure about wool.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5408 on: October 16, 2013, 05:04:19 pm »

Be advised that there's a bug in the current version that makes only about 10% of animals actually reach adult size when they grow up.  There's a fix floating around you can use with DFHack, but I haven't tried using it myself.
I know, I'm using the DFHack fix, thanks.

Even if your animals are growing properly, it's probably better to butcher them as soon as they turn adult.
I guess, at least that saves me the trouble of remembering how old are my animals.

Found this on dfwiki for 40d
Butchering a "young" version of the animal (kitten, puppy, calf, dragonling, whatever) will produce 2/3 the normal amount of bones, meat and fat (and chunks), rounded up. One skin, one skull (if appropriate).
From this, one can assume there's no actual relation between BODY_SIZE and amount of meat/stuff from butchering. Young=2/3 from adult (rounded up), and that's it. Gone from later versions of wiki, though.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5409 on: October 16, 2013, 07:18:58 pm »

I'd be surprised if that was true.  Someone (I believe Urist DaVinci) did some pretty extensive testing that showed that the butchering results were a fairly complex function of a creature's size, and I'm pretty sure he found that it varied according to an individual's size.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5410 on: October 16, 2013, 08:52:43 pm »

That was changed between 40d and .31. It used to be that each creature had a size specified in the raws and that was it for every individual, but now each creature has a base racial size plus individual variations in height, length, or broadness, plus the ability to put on extra fat or muscle (I haven't checked whether the latter affects butchery returns though).

If you go into Arena mode and spawn some aquatic animals on land, they'll air-drown in one piece and you can butcher them from the menu to see what they're made of and how much of each material you get.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

eloidin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5411 on: October 17, 2013, 09:41:22 am »

Okay so im trying to build a massive tower with a channeled out basement for undergound aboveground farming ^^ and now i want to floor it all over. However, due to some recent *aghem* accidents with cave ins and mountains comming down on some unfortunate woodlovers, i started thinking i might need support for my floors.

So say i have channeled out a huge 30x30 square and i want to floor over it, at what point will the floors start to collaps? as in how far from the edge i start building my floor on can i go before i absolutely need to build support units?

say x is a regular (unmined) dirt block and x is a spot of open air due to it being channelled out, how far can i floor over it with c before all of it collapses due to not having any support

a c c c x x x
a c c x x x x
a c c c c c c

At what point will this whole scheme tumble to dust?

sorry for any wrong use of terms/words english is not my native tongue.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5412 on: October 17, 2013, 11:32:23 am »

As long as one tile has support, any tiles connected to it will also have support. A 30x30 floor is fine.

Bridges and other buildings don't offer support, and a tile that touches another tile only on a corner doesn't opper support. If you imagine each tile on the map to be a cube, you need to have two tiles touching on either a face or an edge for one to connect to the other.

eloidin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5413 on: October 17, 2013, 11:45:50 am »

With all the realism in this game this seems wrong somehow..

Basicly what you are saying is that as long i make sure one tile is supported by a nearby wall or dirtblock i can keep adding floors to that till infinity never running into any problems?

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5414 on: October 17, 2013, 12:01:31 pm »

With all the realism in this game this seems wrong somehow..

Basicly what you are saying is that as long i make sure one tile is supported by a nearby wall or dirtblock i can keep adding floors to that till infinity never running into any problems?

Stoneworking is one place I am willing to suspend disbelief on what dwarfs can accomplish.  The 'realism' is entirely a dwarfish realism.  Moving magma in minecarts to 'power' a forge, Forgotten Beasts made of vomit.  We work within the 'natural laws' imposed by programming.

You will have noticed a "support" that you can build:  the real advantage of that is that you can connect it to a lever and UN-support everything you have built in defiance of gravity to crush that seemingly unkillable enemy.

If  DF is crazy I don't want to be sane ;)
Pages: 1 ... 359 360 [361] 362 363 ... 422