Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879024 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5370 on: October 10, 2013, 01:40:07 pm »

For the FBs, I was just wondering if they would show up at a later fort or something if they were in an abandoned fort.

I'm not sure about FB's, but other creatures can so I don't see why not. I had one world where I had run into a werezebra in a few different forts.

But given that there are usually many more FBs than were-creatures, titans, and (semi)megabeasts combined, the chances would be much more slim.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5371 on: October 10, 2013, 05:10:17 pm »

iirc, wells are automatically designated as water sources so yes, you'd need to close entrance to it, or use traffic designations to make other water more easily reachable
Wells are water sources, but not 'water source' zones. If you place a zone over the water you want the dwarves to take water from, they should all troop over there instead of scooping up the well water.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5372 on: October 10, 2013, 05:39:49 pm »

For the FBs, I was just wondering if they would show up at a later fort or something if they were in an abandoned fort.

I'm not sure about FB's, but other creatures can so I don't see why not. I had one world where I had run into a werezebra in a few different forts.

But given that there are usually many more FBs than were-creatures, titans, and (semi)megabeasts combined, the chances would be much more slim.

on the other hand, I recall a story of someone who had a were creature epidemic all over the world. Every village had dozens of were-lairs around it and hardly any normal population at all. Each full moon all the were whatevers came to the village and tried to infect those not infected yet. A nightmare to live there, I imagine. Something similar might happen with the were-zebra (not saying it did, but it can), and each w-zebra visiting was in fact a different one
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5373 on: October 10, 2013, 06:19:30 pm »

iirc, wells are automatically designated as water sources so yes, you'd need to close entrance to it, or use traffic designations to make other water more easily reachable
Wells are water sources, but not 'water source' zones. If you place a zone over the water you want the dwarves to take water from, they should all troop over there instead of scooping up the well water.

I did have a water source zone.....

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5374 on: October 10, 2013, 07:33:53 pm »

That usually solves it for me. What's your setup for the well and the water source zones?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5375 on: October 10, 2013, 07:38:27 pm »

That usually solves it for me. What's your setup for the well and the water source zones?

I already abandoned the fort though.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5376 on: October 10, 2013, 07:50:11 pm »

on the other hand, I recall a story of someone who had a were creature epidemic all over the world. Every village had dozens of were-lairs around it and hardly any normal population at all. Each full moon all the were whatevers came to the village and tried to infect those not infected yet. A nightmare to live there, I imagine. Something similar might happen with the were-zebra (not saying it did, but it can), and each w-zebra visiting was in fact a different one

I can imagine that happening in some older worlds, I had one where I couldn't wander more than five steps in adv. mode without coming across a were-bear.

But this was a small world generated using the advanced-world-gen to have many (semi)megas, no titans or vamps, and only a handful were-creature types. Unless I had the luck to get two were-zebras with the exact same name, it was unlikely that it was two different ones.

I think I even posted about it before.

Spoiler: Pre Edit: Found it. (click to show/hide)

The only other were-beast that I know of, a were-antelope, was killed in my fort. Her legends mode entry was interesting, her husband was one of the only necromancers in the world, and in the countless years she rampaged she never infected or even killed another person.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5377 on: October 11, 2013, 01:56:23 pm »

Two of my dwarves refuse to spar. One wields a pickaxe, the other has a whip. Is the lack of sparring caused by exotic weapons?

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: October 11, 2013, 02:29:48 pm »

Two of my dwarves refuse to spar. One wields a pickaxe, the other has a whip. Is the lack of sparring caused by exotic weapons?

What are they doing right now? They may be stuck watching a demonstration or something.

Do you have them set to train right now, and do they have a barracks? Is their squad active?

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5379 on: October 11, 2013, 02:45:26 pm »

What are they doing right now? They may be stuck watching a demonstration or something.

Do you have them set to train right now, and do they have a barracks? Is their squad active?

Yes, they do watch demonstrations...and have been for about two years. No sparring in that time.

I said two of my dwarves, by which I mean that other dwarves are sparring allright. I do know how to get them to train properly, it is just these two that give me a headache.

EDIT: Nevermind they just started.
When having a problem, ask another person. The Universe will then solve your problem to make you feel stupid.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 02:47:54 pm by ancistrus »

MightyPaladin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5380 on: October 11, 2013, 04:56:03 pm »

does non-military training improve dwarf stats?  'cause the wiki infers that it does, but experience suggests it doesn't
in times of peace nothing so becomes a man as modesty and humility, but when the blasts of war ring in your ears, then imitate the actions of the tiger, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with rage and lend the eye a terrible aspect.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5381 on: October 11, 2013, 05:36:39 pm »

Yes.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: October 11, 2013, 06:03:17 pm »

It's nowhere near as fast as sparring though. Plus, if you're using a dwarf's description screen and not DT to check out a dwarf's stat growth, they might have to pick up a couple of hundred points in a stat before it ticks over to the next set of descriptive text.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #5383 on: October 11, 2013, 09:26:43 pm »

Is there a utility, or feature in DFHack, that would list all the creatures that can spawn in my embark site? I'd really like Giant Chinchillas, but I can't quite seem to find any. Or even regular Chinchillas. :<

Serefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5384 on: October 13, 2013, 07:04:25 am »

Why are there a select few dwarves with a limited profile? Going to their profile takes you directly to the 'thoughts and preferences' which only contains a short physical description. As a result, everything else (like 'relationships' and 'holding and owned objects') is inaccessible. I've always had a few dead dwarves like this, but now I've got a live migrant as well.
Pages: 1 ... 357 358 [359] 360 361 ... 422