Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879357 times)

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5085 on: August 31, 2013, 05:25:51 am »

Last nights questions:
1) I built a cage pitting room as described in the wiki.  It worked fine for the giant caught in a cage, but (as predicted by the wiki) the ravens and kea were able to escape.  Yet assigning the flyers to one cage works fine.  So I can carry a flyer into the next room to a new cage, but I can't stuff him down a hatch.  Is there another solution or do I trade for a caged cougar and stuff the flyers in there?

2) trade screen: sometimes "crafts" is in the list as a category and other times not, but if I go down the list in the "ALL" category, I find items that are inaccessible using other categories (statues is the item I am thinking of).  So to add a question: What's up with that?
2a) do I need to separate stockpiles so that I don't have to go thru every bin of finished goods to keep from trading away my quivers?  or mandate exclusions?

3) I set up a jeweler workshop to cut limonite on repeat and forgot it.  After a couple years it occurred to me that I hadn't seen any at the trade screen and the stone stockpile looked the same. It was still on repeat.  What shall I check?  or just try a de/reconstruct?

#1 What does a cougar have to do with flying animals?  I'm missing something.

#2a What I would suggest, if you are seeing mandate exclusions messing with your trading on a regular basis, is setting up an alternate stockpile for ONLY mandate goods, and if there is a mandate active when traders come, activate the mandate item in the alternate goods stockpile, and disable the mandate item in the normal storage stockpile.  This will cause your dwarves to move all mandate excluded goods to a different place, allowing you to cleanly choose non-mandate goods for trading.

#2b I always do rock crafting for trade, and my crafters alternate between all types of rock crafts.  I set up a tiered stockpile system.  There are two types of stockpiles.  One for crafts, the other for the rest of the finished goods types.  There is a separate stockpile for each grade of crafts, and they are organized in such a way that the closest pile of crafted goods to the jeweler's shop are the masterworks crafts.  The non-crafts are farthest from the jewelry shop.

#3 End the cutting job, and start a repeating encrust job.  Then see what your jeweler does.
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5086 on: August 31, 2013, 10:23:44 am »

Goblins can become werebeasts right? I had tossed in (or rather, released, since it was caged) a weregecko into a pile of goblins, trolls, and a minotaur that I had pitted into the live firing range to see what happened. While it did bite several goblins and they were all stripped, I didn't see any goblins transform a month later. Then again, the minotaur may have killed the ones that were bitten or they died of their wounds, or a combination.

I don't think the weregecko got a bite on the minotaur, though it would have been cool to see a weregecko minotaur.

Also, is it possible for the same werebeast to visit the fort multiple times? I think I had one wereskunk visit three times, the third time, it popped up as a human near my soldiers who had been cleaning up the remnants of a siege. The humans combat log only listed two strikes, the soldiers barely even stopped to kill the guy.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:35:13 am by smjjames »

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5087 on: August 31, 2013, 10:36:34 am »

Last nights questions:
1) I built a cage pitting room as described in the wiki.  It worked fine for the giant caught in a cage, but (as predicted by the wiki) the ravens and kea were able to escape.  Yet assigning the flyers to one cage works fine.  So I can carry a flyer into the next room to a new cage, but I can't stuff him down a hatch.  Is there another solution or do I trade for a caged cougar and stuff the flyers in there?

2) trade screen: sometimes "crafts" is in the list as a category and other times not, but if I go down the list in the "ALL" category, I find items that are inaccessible using other categories (statues is the item I am thinking of).  So to add a question: What's up with that?
2a) do I need to separate stockpiles so that I don't have to go thru every bin of finished goods to keep from trading away my quivers?  or mandate exclusions?

3) I set up a jeweler workshop to cut limonite on repeat and forgot it.  After a couple years it occurred to me that I hadn't seen any at the trade screen and the stone stockpile looked the same. It was still on repeat.  What shall I check?  or just try a de/reconstruct?

#1 What does a cougar have to do with flying animals?  I'm missing something.

#2a What I would suggest, if you are seeing mandate exclusions messing with your trading on a regular basis, is setting up an alternate stockpile for ONLY mandate goods, and if there is a mandate active when traders come, activate the mandate item in the alternate goods stockpile, and disable the mandate item in the normal storage stockpile.  This will cause your dwarves to move all mandate excluded goods to a different place, allowing you to cleanly choose non-mandate goods for trading.

#2b I always do rock crafting for trade, and my crafters alternate between all types of rock crafts.  I set up a tiered stockpile system.  There are two types of stockpiles.  One for crafts, the other for the rest of the finished goods types.  There is a separate stockpile for each grade of crafts, and they are organized in such a way that the closest pile of crafted goods to the jeweler's shop are the masterworks crafts.  The non-crafts are farthest from the jewelry shop.

#3 End the cutting job, and start a repeating encrust job.  Then see what your jeweler does.

#1) I just thought adding a flying bird to a cougar's cage would produce a pile of feathers.  Perhaps I was assuming a whole cats & birds generalization

mandates) I was being paranoid because the mandate kept going back and forth between make rings and don't export rings.  so if the don't export was relax'd I wanted to unload the pile of rings, which naturally are not in a single bin near t he trade depot

#3 I am aware of glitchie/jiggle-the-handle fixes (like deconstruct and rebuild) I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some known issue on setting a repeat order.  Encrusting would have told me if the cut stones existed somewhere?  or whether the jeweler himself was faulty?

Thanks for the tips on the stock piles.  I have not met much success.  my last failure was setting a craft workshop next to stockpile of one type of stone, and making a stockpile that accepted only finished goods made from that type of stone
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5088 on: August 31, 2013, 10:42:41 am »

Tame animals don't normally attack each other and the only instances of them attacking each other would be in a crowded pasture and if the animal, in some way, became an enemy of the fort.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5089 on: August 31, 2013, 10:48:23 am »

Tame animals don't normally attack each other and the only instances of them attacking each other would be in a crowded pasture and if the animal, in some way, became an enemy of the fort.

sorry for the confusion.  The conversation was about cage trapped flyers that I cannot stuff down a hatch in my pitting room but which I can add to another cage

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5090 on: August 31, 2013, 11:15:45 am »

most things in a cage are sort of suspended, no interaction with eachother. grazers still die of starvation, pregnancies get carried to term and wounds continue to bleed, but there is pretty much no interaction with outside or with other animals inside
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5091 on: August 31, 2013, 03:37:34 pm »

How do I keep up with mayor reelections? There are no announcements, as far as I can tell, though I think they would be more useful, than some of the ones I get (like I care who you gave birth to, just get back to work!).

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5092 on: August 31, 2013, 03:47:05 pm »

it's every year in summer somewhere. I forgot the exact month but I'm sure someone else'll know
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5093 on: August 31, 2013, 03:57:28 pm »

Basically, it would be useful to know if it's the same guy doing second (third, fourth) term, or a new one, because I need to reassign the rooms.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5094 on: August 31, 2013, 03:58:12 pm »

If the sitting mayor has an active mandate and loses his or her office through the election, this mandate will be cancelled and you'll get the message 'xxx's mandate has ended', but that's the only announcement that can be connected to changes in office.

AFAIK, elections take place once or twice per year. There's a guaranteed election on 17th Hematite (early summer) and an optional second election in early winter, which only occurs rarely and only in some fortresses.

I generally check the noble screen on the 17th or 18th hematite to make sure i don't miss a change in office.

You can stop the pause-and-recentre routine whenever a dwarf is born by going to the directory data/init, file "announcements" and removing the :P:R flags from BIRTH_CITIZEN. I can't see anything concerning mandates there, unfortunately.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5095 on: August 31, 2013, 10:18:10 pm »

I generally check the noble screen on the 17th or 18th hematite to make sure i don't miss a change in office.

I got into the habit of checking the Nobles screen periodically, just to make sure I didn't miss a production mandate, a change of office, missing furniture in a bedroom, etc.  At least once a month.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5096 on: September 01, 2013, 12:50:08 am »

#1) I just thought adding a flying bird to a cougar's cage would produce a pile of feathers.  Perhaps I was assuming a whole cats & birds generalization

#2) mandates) I was being paranoid because the mandate kept going back and forth between make rings and don't export rings.  so if the don't export was relax'd I wanted to unload the pile of rings, which naturally are not in a single bin near t he trade depot

#3 I am aware of glitchie/jiggle-the-handle fixes (like deconstruct and rebuild) I just wanted to make sure there wasn't some known issue on setting a repeat order.  Encrusting would have told me if the cut stones existed somewhere?  or whether the jeweler himself was faulty?

Thanks for the tips on the stock piles.  I have not met much success.  my last failure was setting a craft workshop next to stockpile of one type of stone, and making a stockpile that accepted only finished goods made from that type of stone

#1 has been addressed by others.

#2 - I found my documentation of the finished goods stockpiling and jewel encrusting solution I use.  The only change I have made to it would be that I put Artifacts in a separate stockpile now, farther away than the lowest quality crafts, instead of mixing them with Masterworks.  This makes it a little bit less likely that artifacts will get stolen by critters that might gain access with a trade caravan.  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=86752.msg2351983#msg2351983

#3 - Encrusting can't work unless there are available goods to encrust.  If there is an option to encrust, you should see your jeweler start working, and can watch where they go.  If there are no available items to encrust you should check a few things.  First, make sure the workshop is not limited to specific dwarves, or to dwarves with minimum or maximum skills.  Second make sure you haven't accidentally forbidden all the limonite on the map through your stocks window, or dumped it all into a quantum stockpile somewhere and not recleimed / de-dumped it.  Third check for forbidden doors, walled off storage, bridge access problems, or dysfunctional ramps or stairs.  One tantrum dward destroying a constructed stairwell or flipping a lever in a critical location can cause lots of !fun!
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5097 on: September 01, 2013, 12:23:24 pm »

I made a 'rookie' mistake and built my butcher in a secure courtyard so all of the hoof, hair, bone, skull is cluttering the workshop because it won't be carried to refuse pile.  Rather than toggle 'indoor only' to 'include exterior' (and how do I do that?), I was planning to just build a roof over the butcher.  Is that going to work?  I know I can build beds once I roof something over, but I dunno if the routine to collect refuse 'indoors' will see that as a change.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5098 on: September 01, 2013, 01:02:11 pm »

I made a 'rookie' mistake and built my butcher in a secure courtyard so all of the hoof, hair, bone, skull is cluttering the workshop because it won't be carried to refuse pile.  Rather than toggle 'indoor only' to 'include exterior' (and how do I do that?), I was planning to just build a roof over the butcher.  Is that going to work?  I know I can build beds once I roof something over, but I dunno if the routine to collect refuse 'indoors' will see that as a change.
I don't think that will work.
You can set orders to allow refuse hauling outdoors by pressing [o]rders->[r]efuse->[o]utdoors

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5099 on: September 01, 2013, 03:44:45 pm »

No, flooring it over doesn't work at all. The refuse option doesn't actually check whether a piece of refuse is 'inside' or 'outside', but rather whether it's 'aboveground' or 'subterranean'.
To get rid of the remains cluttering up your butcher's shop, the most profitable way is to build a craftsdwarf's workshop nearby and put 'make totem' and some of the crafting jobs on repeat, 'make xxx craft' if you actually want to get some purchase power, 'decorate with xxx' if you just want to get rid of the stuff. Bones are also good for practice and hunting crossbow bolts. With such jobs on repeat, it shouldn't really be possible to get serious clutter problems in the butchery.

Cluttered butcheries aren't much of a problem anyway, because slaughter jobs are instantaneous and ignore clutter.
Pages: 1 ... 338 339 [340] 341 342 ... 422