Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879334 times)

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5115 on: September 04, 2013, 07:07:49 am »

Going by memory here.

Remove her from the squad as training orders (being attached to the squad and its current training program) or even the lack of it would precede any kind of teaching.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Invisible food storage containers?
« Reply #5116 on: September 05, 2013, 10:17:49 am »

Is it possible that a 'FPS' issue would cause glitches rather than a crushing slow down?

I have 1000 plant; zero drink; food rotting: rock pots piling up at the craft workshop. since the problem started I have made 100 more rock pots and 30 barrels.  The food from the cook sits at the kitchen.

Things I have considered and dismissed:
1)I have not turned off all food hauling by accident because newly grown strawberries are showing up at the new 'no barrels' stockpile next to the new stills.
2) oh and glitched stills; I made 2 new ones and tore down the old
3) forbidden and/or dumped pots;nope
4) considered possibility that some stone materials not good for food (chalk might be to absorbent) but there were plenty of them in use
5) I tend not to use take from's and give to's but I checked anyway
edit- 6) no burrows in use
the kitchen doesn't kick out any spam it just piles it until it rots; but the still generates no distillible and no container messages even with an instance of each sitting within 10 tiles

My question about fps is because I DO have slowdown and since my dwarfs are not using the pots, the eggs went uncollected and I got a new crop (2 pages) of egg layers that has me looking for creative ways to lure them under a draw bridge.

Strangely, I have been without booze for a year and zero bad thoughts on it.

I have started a new embark; but since I don't know WHAT it is I wouldn't know how to avoid it in the future.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 11:09:44 am by WhimsyWink »
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: September 05, 2013, 12:18:30 pm »

something regarding linked stockpiles?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: September 05, 2013, 12:35:29 pm »

something regarding linked stockpiles?

that falls under #5 but I can't imagine where that would be in order to effect all things that USE the pots & barrels.  near as I can tell nothing has gone into a barrel or pot in about a year
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: September 05, 2013, 05:12:40 pm »

I know if you're at war with other civs, they can send a diplomat or liason to broker a peace, however, if I'm at war with the goblins, will they send a diplomat or liason to set up a peace deal?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: September 05, 2013, 05:59:50 pm »

How do you put a gear in magma without it spilling the magma into the power channel?

I'm trying to put a roller system under magma.  The rollers need magma proof material, sure.  The gear too, okay.  If I don't channel the floor out below the magma, the gear won't connect to anything above it.  If I channel it out, it can get at my wooden axels.  I don't have nethercap to make magma proof axels. Do I need to just run gears until I can get out of the magma Z?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: September 05, 2013, 08:02:59 pm »

The gear in the magma should be able to connect to either a gear or a vertical axle on the level above, so long as the gear or vertical axle is built over empty space. It's what I do when submerging rollers in magma.

If you don't have any magma-safe material for axles, then you'll need to use magma-safe gears. That costs 4 extra power a tile, but you shouldn't need too many axle substitutes.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Crashmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • CARP, Canada's new helth care plan for the elderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: September 05, 2013, 09:31:36 pm »

Could you use the non-passable tile of a pump to power a roller assembly on top through the channeled hole?

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: September 05, 2013, 09:44:32 pm »

Ah!  Good choice Crash.  Even if they don't directly connect at least I'm only exposing one gear. 

Edit: Pump next to rollers powers the rollers, no gear necessary.

WarRoot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: September 06, 2013, 08:15:27 am »

Going by memory here.

Remove her from the squad as training orders (being attached to the squad and its current training program) or even the lack of it would precede any kind of teaching.

Well I don't know, that resulted in her changing to civilian clothing, and hanging out in meeting areas.
I put her in alone to a squad, without an assigned barrack, as active, that didn't seem to work either, so now she is in the squad as inactive, couldn't check if she does her job now.

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5125 on: September 06, 2013, 12:15:54 pm »

Can I manually respawn extinct vermin fish in the river? Raws/DFHack, etc.?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5126 on: September 06, 2013, 04:06:28 pm »

DFHack can almost certainly do it, but off hand I don't know what you would need to put in a script or the Lua interface to do it.  Try asking in the DFHack thread.

Short of that, I don't think there's any way around the fish going extinct.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5127 on: September 06, 2013, 05:56:25 pm »

Can I manually respawn extinct vermin fish in the river? Raws/DFHack, etc.?
DFHack can almost certainly do it, but off hand I don't know what you would need to put in a script or the Lua interface to do it.  Try asking in the DFHack thread.

Short of that, I don't think there's any way around the fish going extinct.

If you do know of a way, let me know :D

Really though, I wish there was a way to get around the fish going extinct or not even being there in the first place.

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5128 on: September 07, 2013, 03:09:30 am »

When a barony becomes a county, what happens to the baron? When the monarch arrives at a duchy, what happens to the duke?
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 05:42:33 am by Crinkles »

moondowner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5129 on: September 07, 2013, 03:57:02 am »

Really though, I wish there was a way to get around the fish going extinct or not even being there in the first place.

I think setting really high population numbers in raws before embarking might help. Though it's a pain to do it for every vermin fish type.
Pages: 1 ... 340 341 [342] 343 344 ... 422