Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879401 times)

lechium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5025 on: August 24, 2013, 12:21:48 pm »

I have the hunch my well isn't working correctly. Is there a way to find out for sure? Perhaps it doesn't work because the water source tile is on a downward slope (with water above and below)?
Or perhaps it doesn't work because i built the well before the water reservoir? ???

Laurin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5026 on: August 24, 2013, 01:14:56 pm »

Query it with "q" - it should be "active".

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5027 on: August 24, 2013, 02:18:12 pm »

Anybody know of a workaround or prevention measure for this bug:  Stacks consisting of a single bone cannot be used by craftsdwarves Bug:5816 ? Because apparently I have LOTS of those for some reason, and nearly all of them are from butchering. I think there's some goblin bone single stacks in there as well.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5028 on: August 24, 2013, 04:25:32 pm »

That's not quite the bug -- the bug is that the last (or rarely, only) bone in a stack is used, but the stack isn't used up and hangs around like an unbutcherable skeleton.

Both usable and unusable bones will be stored in a refuse pile, but the usable ones are in the 'bones' category and the unusable ones are in the 'body parts' category.

Off the top of my head right now, you could try making a 'body parts' pile that takes only from the crafter's. The only things that should end up in that pile are the leftover bones, and from there you can dispose of them as you like.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

lechium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5029 on: August 24, 2013, 05:06:43 pm »

Query it with "q" - it should be "active".
Thanks, turns out it works fine.

Farmerbob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5030 on: August 25, 2013, 04:45:26 am »

So much for my using a bridge to drop a FB into a pit. However, it doesn't have to be ON the bridge for the drop pit to work.

Eh, you can use a bridge to drop a FB - but it has to be a manually constructed bridge.

I'm looking for a post I created about this a long time ago :)  Give me a couple minutes for searching.

Found it:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87165.msg2369781#msg2369781

I'm not sure this will still work - been a long time since I built that.  But I don't remember any game mechanic changes to how collapses of constructed floors works.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 04:54:51 am by Farmerbob »
How did I miss the existence of this thread?
(Don't attempt to answer that.  Down that path lies ... well I was going to say madness but you all run towards madness as if it was made from chocolate and puppies.  Just forget I said anything.)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5031 on: August 25, 2013, 10:15:02 am »

That's not quite the bug -- the bug is that the last (or rarely, only) bone in a stack is used, but the stack isn't used up and hangs around like an unbutcherable skeleton.

My understanding is that sometimes the game generates a non-integer number of bones (or wool) in a stack.  When all but the last fractional bone (or wool) is used, you are left with a stack that looks like a single bone (or wool) but is really a fraction of one, and therefore unusable.

The only workaround I know is to atom-smash or magma-dump the offending partial thing.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5032 on: August 25, 2013, 02:44:16 pm »

So, my generational fort is in pretty bad shape since every single adult is dead and only seven children are left. While there is enough food and drink to accomodate them for the time it would take for the oldest to grow up, there is no sense waiting for that if all the children are related and won't warry and produce offspring.
Is there a tool out there capable of drawing the family trees in a fortress?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5033 on: August 25, 2013, 03:31:24 pm »

can't you allow a few migrants?
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5034 on: August 25, 2013, 03:35:22 pm »

I could, but the self-imposed challenge is to get at least one fortress-born child to respectable 13yo dwarf status without external help after the first two waves.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5035 on: August 25, 2013, 04:22:11 pm »

Say, what stops relatives from marrying, anyway? I checked the ethics in the raws and it doesn't seem to be in there.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5036 on: August 25, 2013, 04:23:39 pm »

If there are only seven children, you can go through the unit list and look at each dwarf's relations. Dwarves won't marry siblings or parents, but anything else is fine.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Crinkles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5037 on: August 25, 2013, 04:33:54 pm »

I think it would be nice if incest was handled in the raws. Something like this to represent your average modern human:
[ETHIC:INCEST_CLOSE:APPALLING]
[ETHIC:INCEST_DISTANT:MISGUIDED]

(INCEST_DISTANT being cousins and whatnot, with INCEST_CLOSE being siblings and half-siblings.)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5038 on: August 25, 2013, 07:30:16 pm »

Something like that will probably be implemented eventually.  For now it's just hard coded, but I believe it only restricts against siblings and parents / children.  Maybe cousins and aunts / uncles, I'm not sure.

The current implementation also has, if my memory works right, an interesting restriction that the two creatures can't be more than 10 years apart in age.  That makes enough sense for humans and even dwarves, but breaks down a bit for creatures with vastly different lifespans.

I'm sure that will eventually become moddable or otherwise be improved, but marriage and relationships in general are still pretty shallow.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5039 on: August 25, 2013, 07:35:26 pm »

Romance will be great. Ah, what a little adultery can do to get a big plot rolling.
Pages: 1 ... 334 335 [336] 337 338 ... 422