Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879398 times)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #5010 on: August 23, 2013, 11:07:34 am »

I'm not clear on what your setup looks like, but water won't flow down diagonally, only straight down.

Oddly enough, flyers can pass through a z diagonal where water won't.

Edit: beat to the punch.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5011 on: August 23, 2013, 11:14:53 am »

Note that water will flow diagonally on a single Z level.  Just not through a multi-level setup like the one I tried to show.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5012 on: August 23, 2013, 11:21:10 am »

yes ... that was my question ... sorry for the confusion I wanted so badly to avoid 'drawing' .... the water on the aqueduct travels on top of the wall ... held on by walls on either side ... in future I'll build it with underpasses by replacing lower wall tiles with floor tiles above ... so as not to block wagons
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5013 on: August 23, 2013, 11:35:09 am »

Drawing is sometimes the easiest way to convey your meaning, especially regarding pressure. Adding ... punctuation is ... more often than ... not ... useless when describing ... a building.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5014 on: August 23, 2013, 12:20:38 pm »

on one level, except in special cases, there is an ongoing floor, so no diagonal opening
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5015 on: August 23, 2013, 01:45:51 pm »

Drawing is sometimes the easiest way to convey your meaning, especially regarding pressure. Adding ... punctuation is ... more often than ... not ... useless when describing ... a building.

Doing the multiple periods is also annoying.

You can also do screenshots.

WhimsyWink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5016 on: August 23, 2013, 02:01:47 pm »

I understood that from his post thank you
Ellipsis free since August 2013.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5017 on: August 23, 2013, 05:35:39 pm »

Quick question, are body parts like <goblin name>'s right foot, left upper leg, etc or stuff like <goblin name>'s left knee bone or right elbow bone usable or just toss into magma? I know in this version you can't butcher goblin corpses, but sometimes I'll get goblin bone bolts, so I'm not exactly sure what body parts are actually usable like <goblin name>'s left hand or left lower leg bone will get used.

Edit: theres also some stuff like for example, an invader war cave crocodiles lower spine bone or somesuch.

Edit2: I'll just dump whatever isn't labelled bone since the goblin parts are clogging up the refuse piles anyway.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 06:28:11 pm by smjjames »

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5018 on: August 23, 2013, 06:23:55 pm »

AIUI, chunks that get chopped off a live/undead victim (e.g. by Serrated Disc Trap) can be rotted to bone on refuse stockpiles, & the bones can then be used as bone crafts, but you can't butcher a sentients corpse & use the bits normally unless you've edited the relevant civ tokens.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5019 on: August 23, 2013, 06:29:29 pm »

Except that these body parts don't say bone on them, just, foot, upper arm, etc.

I also have this dwarf who immigrated as a child, but his age was 21 (22 now) and despite the age change, he is still a child, what's up with that? I am using DFhack which is applying the fix for the growth bug and I know of the bug where children can have an age past 12 but still show as child.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5020 on: August 23, 2013, 06:38:18 pm »

Except that these body parts don't say bone on them, just, foot, upper arm, etc.

It depends on the size of the part.  A goblin's arm, left to rot for a year or so, will usually turn into a stack of ~2 goblin bones, which can be used just like any other bones (bolts, crafts, decorations, bone armor, etc.).  Smaller parts, like a goblin's foot, will usually decay into nothing, and some parts will never decay at all.

Being in a refuse pile may or may not speed up the decaying process; I don't know.  But it's definitely not necessary.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5021 on: August 24, 2013, 01:44:39 am »

What I'm trying to ask is if they'll become usable bones because they were in the refuse pile for some time and didn't decay into bones, at least the name or description didn't include bone. I had a bunch of goblin heads (which would have been cool to stick on a pike or something) but while they had rotted out already, they were still labelled heads, not skulls. I had these bogy parts in the refuse pile for a long while.

As for that glitched dwarf, the growth change kicked in and that dwarf changed from child to miner, minor-miner pun not intended.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #5022 on: August 24, 2013, 03:16:28 am »

it goes from hand, to rotting hand, to skeletal hand to bones

not always, a hand may be too small for example, and it takes a long, long time. In general, not really worth it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5023 on: August 24, 2013, 04:48:40 am »

In most cases, bodyparts and skeletons will not rot to craftable bones (at least not in a reasonable timeframe, say, less than a few decades) because the parts include joints and those include ligaments which don't properly rot currently. At least i think it's the ligaments that don't rot.

Bodyparts that have been cut loose from all attached joints will rot into craftable bones - e.g. goblin left upper leg bone [2] - but for that to happen, first the lower leg must be cut off to detach the knee and then the upper leg itself, to separate it from the hip joint. If only the foot was cut off and then the leg at the hip, you still have an upper and a lower leg, joined by the knee, and rotting won't separate them.

If you're chopping goblins regularly, you will get the occasional goblin bone usable to your crafters, but for a bigger harvest, you'll need to play around with necromancy and sawblade trap halls. Unless you decide to go the modding route - you could turn goblins non-sentient or turn your dwarfs into goblinelfs by allowing them to butcher sentient creatures.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5024 on: August 24, 2013, 11:31:43 am »

So much for my using a bridge to drop a FB into a pit.
You can drop FBs by deconstructing a wall underneath them. The wall is constructed over open space, so that it falls right past the dwarf doing the deconstruction.

You can hold them on the floor tile comprising the top of the wall by using a pair of raising bridges, and you can give yourself time to pull the lever by putting a trio of doors two tiles away from the tile between the bridges.

You can also skip the bridges and go straight for the deconstruction while the FB is beating on the doors, but that's more risky.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 333 334 [335] 336 337 ... 422