Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879545 times)

VerdantSF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4830 on: July 13, 2013, 08:12:13 pm »

I just entered the 3rd cavern.  I'm looking everywhere, but I can't find any nether-cap.  Is it possible for a single tree type to not exist in some caverns?

Tarsius

• Bay Watcher
  • this is something that shows up below your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4831 on: July 14, 2013, 03:32:51 am »

1)how can I be at peace with goblins? (I want their caravan to come)

2)can anyone explain what "handling dangerous creature" warning means

thanks for the info
and this is something that shows up below your post

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4832 on: July 14, 2013, 04:05:51 am »

Not sure about #1.  #2 relates to them dragging your cow/sheep/whatever to somewhere, usually for milking or shearing.

aiseant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4833 on: July 14, 2013, 04:18:38 am »

What's the use of "capture live animal"  ? I always get some hamsters or toad, who are nt really loved as pets, and cannot be butchered
http://tenshedkadol.wordpress.com/

As a Urist McFrenchy, please forgive my english

Heck, only the elves would tame a leech. [...] Just for this, I'm starting up lead goblet production. Anyone who tries to sell me a tame leech deserves to die from lead poisoning.

Tarsius

• Bay Watcher
  • this is something that shows up below your avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4834 on: July 14, 2013, 05:27:34 am »

Not sure about #1.  #2 relates to them dragging your cow/sheep/whatever to somewhere, usually for milking or shearing.
so... if I get that warning when I order my dwarves to shear an animal... do I get the wool or not?
and this is something that shows up below your post

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4835 on: July 14, 2013, 05:30:07 am »

You should, the warning usually means they are canceling a different job that they have in order to complete the shearing job.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4836 on: July 14, 2013, 06:37:10 am »

What's the use of "capture live animal"  ? I always get some hamsters or toad, who are nt really loved as pets, and cannot be butchered
It's used for catching live vermin, as you've found. There are some vermin you can get extracts from, but only a couple. The vermin themselves aren't really useful (except for cave spiders and other small webbers), and though a dwarf can do a decent job of lowering the vermin population you're better off buying in male cats and killing any female cats that arrive with migrants. If you'd like the cave spiders to live, keep the cats pastured in the food area or where dwarves gather.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #4837 on: July 14, 2013, 06:46:21 am »

most people are 'at peace' with the goblins. Goblins still send ambushes and sieges even when they are officially at peace. I've never seen an actual goblin caravan outside the gifts the sieges leave behind, but others claim it exists
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4838 on: July 14, 2013, 08:58:36 am »

1)how can I be at peace with goblins? (I want their caravan to come)
In raw/objects/entity_default.txt there's a tag called [BABYSNATCHER] for goblins.  The theory is that in vanilla df it's barely possible for no dwarf to ever be kidnapped in the history of the world, or something, and then goblins will not be hostile to your fortress and send caravans.

However I've never seen it.  And I've accidentally embarked on kobold lairs twice.  So less common than a kobold lair. :)

You could just remove the tag and caravans should arrive.  I have not tested this personally.

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4839 on: July 14, 2013, 07:24:27 pm »

Syndrome question

5 military dwarves killed a FB but where exposed to the dust and caught a syndrome that caused them to initially vomit and later to constantly bleed leaving messy trails everywhere. Its been almost 2 months and they don't really show any other health problems that I would think accompany constant bleeding everywhere. Using v over them also shows they are not coated in the FB frozen extract.

Anyone ever had this syndrome before? does it go away eventually?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4840 on: July 14, 2013, 07:59:47 pm »

I've only ever seen syndromes that caused almost immediate bleeding to death if it causes bleeding at all.  That's pretty interesting.  I've been told that FB syndromes are permanent once acquired, but I've never verified that past one anecdotal case.

It's possible / probable that the affected dwarves will eventually bleed to death.  If the bleeding rate is lower than their regeneration rate they'll probably live a long and messy life, but it's almost certainly causing them to bleed faster than that.  Just keep checking if they become pale or faint.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

DaiVrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4841 on: July 14, 2013, 08:41:39 pm »

Hey, I'm a bit of a noob, and I have what I hope will be a simple question.  So I have a ton of barrels for alcohol production, but they filled up very quickly, and most of them only have 1 to 5 units of alcohol in them.  Now when I try to brew more the dwarves cancel the job stating that there are no barrels available.  What should I do?

Bludulukus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4842 on: July 14, 2013, 08:49:22 pm »

Hey, I'm a bit of a noob, and I have what I hope will be a simple question.  So I have a ton of barrels for alcohol production, but they filled up very quickly, and most of them only have 1 to 5 units of alcohol in them.  Now when I try to brew more the dwarves cancel the job stating that there are no barrels available.  What should I do?

Make rock pots at the craftsdwarf's workshop, stones are always more readily available than wood.

Once I discovered rock pots I never looked back.

DaiVrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4843 on: July 14, 2013, 09:29:11 pm »

Make rock pots at the craftsdwarf's workshop, stones are always more readily available than wood.

I can do that, but that doesn't answer the question of how to get more alcohol to be stored in each one.  I currently have a 3x6 area stockpile for drinks, and it's full of barrels holding about 5 alcohol each.  How do I get the dwarves to store more alcohol in each one?

skyte100

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Ichor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4844 on: July 14, 2013, 09:37:38 pm »

I can do that, but that doesn't answer the question of how to get more alcohol to be stored in each one.  I currently have a 3x6 area stockpile for drinks, and it's full of barrels holding about 5 alcohol each.  How do I get the dwarves to store more alcohol in each one?

"Every unit of plant or honey brewed at a still produces 5 units of alcohol. A single stack of plants will be brewed for each task, and the resulting booze will be placed into a single barrel - a stack of Plump helmet [5] will produce Dwarven wine [25] and will only occupy a single barrel. Skilled growers, who tend to plant seeds more skillfully and produce larger stacks, can therefore reduce the number of barrels required to store alcohol, which in turn minimizes the required stockpile size. Brewing produces seeds for plants that can be planted and is under the hard-coded limit of 200 seeds for each kind." Taken from http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Still
Pages: 1 ... 321 322 [323] 324 325 ... 422