Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880070 times)

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #4200 on: March 12, 2013, 03:15:32 pm »

After entombing a vampire in his 3x3 Microcline box room (enjoy all that pukey blue you loser), I switched to Dwarf Therapist and noticed on the tool tips that he had a skill marked "novice UNKNOWN".  I've seen things similar in adventure mode (Legendary <nothing there>), but never in fortress mode.  Should I eliminate him before this causes problems later, or is it safe to allow him his insanity?
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4201 on: March 12, 2013, 03:23:29 pm »

Are you using the original version of DT (so not the Splinterz or the other branch)? The original version (and potentially some of the branches, I'm not sure on that one) don't recognize some of the skills that aren't really used (such as military tactics). Since these skills only are gained in world gen they don't really show up in-game, but it isn't anything to worry about.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lida_Brainbroken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4202 on: March 12, 2013, 03:31:46 pm »

Are you using the original version of DT (so not the Splinterz or the other branch)? The original version (and potentially some of the branches, I'm not sure on that one) don't recognize some of the skills that aren't really used (such as military tactics). Since these skills only are gained in world gen they don't really show up in-game, but it isn't anything to worry about.

I use a vanilla game, with DFhack and Therapist.  The only modding I did was give my war dogs the ability to learn, so I got concerned this may have derped the game somehow.
So, thanks, I'll enjoy knowing the murderer of my Legendary Marksdwarf will suffer forever in his Blue Hell.
She was on her way to the booze stockpile for a drink and got interrupted by the wyvern. It is not wise to stand between a grumpy senior and her booze.

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4203 on: March 13, 2013, 11:03:52 pm »

Q. Are water wheels (with only the center tile channeled) a security risk?
- Can an amphibious building destroyer destroy them from the river directly underneath and hop out?
- Can a flyer go up-diagonal through them?

Side view:

__W__
~~~~~

where W is the water wheel (viewed from edge), _ is floor, ~ is water.

Similar question for magma forges.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:50:06 am by oasis789 »

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4204 on: March 14, 2013, 01:09:42 am »

Building destroyers cannot destroy a building that is not on the same z-level as themselves.

oasis789

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4205 on: March 14, 2013, 10:39:35 am »

Yes, noted and thanks, but my concern is whether flying/amphibious creatures can path upwards diagonally through waterwheel/magmaforge channeled tiles to the level.

Z 0
####
#XX#
#XX#
####

Z -1
###.
#XW#
#XX#
####

Side-view
#X#
##.

X is up/down stairs, # is undug stone, W is constructed wall, . is empty space

It is often noted (here, here) that flying creatures can path to the red tile upwards-diagonally. This is usually what happens when breaching a cavern.

The analogy is that for the waterwheel/magmaforge cases, the green tile is also impassable (the waterwheel's center, the magma forge's anvil), the red tile is passable (waterwheel-connected-axle or part of the forge), and there is an amphibious or flying+fire-immune passable space below the green (7/7 water, magma)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 10:49:19 am by oasis789 »

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4206 on: March 14, 2013, 12:49:57 pm »

WHAT THE FUCK.

When I deconstruct constructions, things appear in the space where the materials should be.
For example, I deconstruct a floor, my dump pile moves. I deconstruct a wall, and the dump pile moves again. Bones have appeared, blocks, bits of animals, piles of crafts, etc.

What the HELL. I am not even using any mods at all, and haven't touched the raws.]

EDIT:
I reconstructed a wall, and IT MOVED BACK. What in the hell is going on.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 12:52:43 pm by Skorpion »
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4207 on: March 14, 2013, 12:55:38 pm »

Bug 0005994 is going on.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4208 on: March 14, 2013, 01:39:24 pm »

I find that bug a pretty neat tool for cleaning up places: can't see where you're engraving/channelling because the floor is full of boulders? Build and destroy a floor tile, all the boulders in a 16x16 (i think) square dutifully stack up. Refuse pile full and you don't want to enable outside refuse collection to move everything to the garbage zone? Build/destroy a floor tile in the middle of the pile, all those corpses and wolverine man bits insta-dump into a single square.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4209 on: March 14, 2013, 02:24:42 pm »

The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #4210 on: March 14, 2013, 06:03:01 pm »

If you're playing on Windows or Linux, there's a binary patch for it. ag left a comment with the changes on the bug page, but if you're not a fan of hex editing you can download the patched .exe.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4211 on: March 15, 2013, 12:24:31 am »

What is the optimized number of hives, and furthermore, the number ratio of split hives to collected hives

Furthermore, are egg births able to surpass the population quota (ie, 200 fert eggs hatching)

Then, I want to ask would it be difficult to mod in Eggnog
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

Ianflow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4212 on: March 15, 2013, 12:36:38 am »

Building destroyers cannot destroy a building that is not on the same z-level as themselves.

Research from This Thread holds contrary

EDIT: I apologize for the double post. I'd assumed someone else had posted by now. I'm also sorry because I am unsure how to delete this post as of now (if there is a button for it, its somehow hiding itself well from me)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2013, 12:39:48 am by Ianflow »
And thus, "The running of the goblins" became an annual tradition and the first dwarven contraceptive.
There are no moghoppers. We have always been allies of Oceania, and at war with Eastasia.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4213 on: March 15, 2013, 12:44:40 am »

Research from This Thread holds contrary
Huh, this is news to me.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4214 on: March 15, 2013, 05:10:03 am »

What is the optimized number of hives, and furthermore, the number ratio of split hives to collected hives

There's a cutoff at 41 hives. I haven't crossed that boundary and don't know what the effects would be - gauging hive production is difficult enough as is. 40 is presumably the optimum.
In a fort with a sizable bee industry i have 39 hives, of which 26 are set to harvest and 13 to accumulate. Normally, all hives are populated, and stuck beekeepers only happen about once in three years, and clearly not through lack of bees.
So a 2:1 ratio works, but is probably a bit too conservative. If you have that many hives, you better group them closely together and assign several dwarfs to the appropriate jobs.
Pages: 1 ... 279 280 [281] 282 283 ... 422