Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879722 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3735 on: January 04, 2013, 12:18:13 pm »

I've even seen some people on the forums here use them as projectile weapons....
That's what I want to ask you about. Will minecarts get pushed by water pressure? And will it be faster than a corridor full of rollers?
I believe the answer is no, or at least no more then anything else will (which is very little, water pressure doesn't exactly have that much force right now). The current fastest single-boost methods are either a long ramp or a corridor of rollers. Most players instead use a small setup (such as four rollers in a loop) that the minecart is trapped in (meaning it is continually boosted) until they pull a lever that breaks/redirects the loop with a bridge being lowered in order to provide the speed that is needed.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: January 04, 2013, 12:38:49 pm »

Oh. So sad... But there is another question - an artifact hammer can be made out of 5 tons of stones, bars etc. and will still be only as effective as artifact one-bar hammer... Does this also apply to ammo? It's possible to decorate bolts with stones... Imagine a dwarf firing a bolt with a giant boulder on the end. Will it change the damage, or like in hammer's case, decorations don't count?
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: January 04, 2013, 12:48:42 pm »

Decorations don't have weight. Nor do contaminants, so coating your ammo in magma and then letting it harden wouldn't work either.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: January 04, 2013, 11:44:56 pm »

How long does prepared meals and drink last in barrels?

Also if i bury someone in a coffin then lauch the coffin in a volcano, would i get ghosts back from them?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 11:47:29 pm by foil »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: January 05, 2013, 12:52:42 am »

Forever. Food in barrels/pots or in a food stockpile is safe (though vermin can theoretically eat food inside a barrel given enough time, and will eat food not in one if they get a chance and have enough time).
Also if i bury someone in a coffin then lauch the coffin in a volcano, would i get ghosts back from them?
Unless you make a slab, yes. Destroyed coffins no longer count as a "proper burial".

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: January 05, 2013, 11:14:52 am »

I just don't know what went wrong... My raising drawbridge DISSAPEARS after pulling the lever... I have checked 2 z-level above and down, it's nowhere to be found. Dafuq, did I just invent a teleportation device?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: January 05, 2013, 11:29:39 am »

pull the lever again, and lo, it's back. a retracting bridge

you have to set a direction for the bridge to raise to, default setting is to retract. I consider myself quite experienced at DF, especially the basic stuff, and I still forget to set it properly sometimes
« Last Edit: January 05, 2013, 11:31:19 am by Garath »
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

foil

• Bay Watcher
  • Yarr!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: January 05, 2013, 12:38:40 pm »

Forever. Food in barrels/pots or in a food stockpile is safe (though vermin can theoretically eat food inside a barrel given enough time, and will eat food not in one if they get a chance and have enough time).
Unless you make a slab, yes. Destroyed coffins no longer count as a "proper burial".

Ah sweet thx, I just had a tantrum spiral taking me from 55 down to 5 dwarfs but have managed to collect over 2000 prepped meals and 3000 drinks lol.  Going to destroy the fields and most workshops for layout change but this will give me plenty time to set up more food production.

Does meat/body parts taken to a refuse pile disappear over time?  Im trying to clean the place up atm after the spiral and have witnessed things disappearing from the pile after a while but when i noticed it there was a ghost on the pile.  Is it just decay or is the ghost trolling the fort and throwing almost everything out the pile back into the fort?

foil.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: January 05, 2013, 12:51:48 pm »

yes, stuff that can rot etc will dissappear over time in a refuse pile
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: January 05, 2013, 12:55:21 pm »

Are caravans able to get over cage traps?

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: January 05, 2013, 01:12:53 pm »

Caravans can not travel over any kind of traps.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: January 05, 2013, 01:23:11 pm »

you have to set a direction for the bridge to raise to, default setting is to retract. I consider myself quite experienced at DF, especially the basic stuff, and I still forget to set it properly sometimes
I know, when I pull the lever it appears again... But I wanted it to form a wall, and it just dissapears. I'm a total newbie, but bridges are one of thinks that I think I understand... This is first time I'm using raising bridge, retractable were always working just like they should...

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: January 05, 2013, 01:32:10 pm »

Caravans can not travel over any kind of traps.

Argh, damn. Thanks for you answer. Seems like I have to remove the traps now...

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: January 05, 2013, 03:39:57 pm »

I know, when I pull the lever it appears again... But I wanted it to form a wall, and it just dissapears. I'm a total newbie, but bridges are one of thinks that I think I understand... This is first time I'm using raising bridge, retractable were always working just like they should...

before placing the bridge, set raising direction with wadx (I think)

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: January 05, 2013, 03:48:58 pm »

...How many times I have to say it?
I have set both bridges to raise. And both just dissapear. I have A LOT of retracting bridges in my fortress and all work just like they should. They change from 3x3 "floor-like bridge" to 3x1 "wall-like bridge" But these two, intended to protect my military from my own ballista bolts just change from "floor-like bridge" to "nothing-like nothing"... I think I will just deconstruct them and make them retractable, I never had any problem with them.
Pages: 1 ... 248 249 [250] 251 252 ... 422