Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879729 times)

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3765 on: January 06, 2013, 03:33:13 pm »

Ah thanks, what is the usual ways to find vampires in a fort?

I remember seeing a few people over 120 years old but idk if this age is standard in DF, tho they were in the fort almost since start and only recently have i started getting people drained of blood.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Vampire#Identification

some snips:
have abnormally long lists of relations and often many, many children, but none of them are present in the fortress (in stark contrast to the parents, siblings or cousins whom most dwarves will share their home with). If they are married to a dwarf that is not present in the fortress, this should be treated as especially strong evidence. Note, however, that lacking relatives within the fortress is not an automatic indicator of being a vampire

too many children or too many civilization associations

As vampires do not eat, sleep, or drink, they will never have recent thoughts about meals, drinks, beds, dining rooms, or chairs, leaving their thoughts especially bare and suspicious <= might be fixed!!!

Looking at the deities that the dwarf believes in can be quite helpful. As long as only "cursed" vampires immigrate (and not blood drinking ones), one of the deities of a vampire should have a "cursed the dwarf [untrue alias] . . ." Lacking this clause in their deities seems to be a clear sign that you do not have a vampire

send them through a hallway with a zombie on the other side of fortifications/windows in clear sight. Normal dwarves will run away from the horrible sight of a harmless zombie but vampire dwarves will walk right through

__

and various more or less cheaty ways, bugged ways or exploitative ways
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Facekillz058

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3766 on: January 07, 2013, 09:54:54 pm »

I think I read somewhere that Wagons are considered creatures.
If this is correct, does this mean they can reproduce?
(づ◕◕)づ・。*。✧・゜゜・。✧。*・゜゜・✧。・­¬¬¬¬¬¬¬゜゜・。*。・゜*✧・。*。✧

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3767 on: January 08, 2013, 01:42:13 am »

Through modding, I don't see why not.  By default they're lacking a number of tags that would be necessary for this.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3768 on: January 08, 2013, 01:53:22 am »

The limited pathfinding of 3x3 creatures (wagons) interferes with breeding IIRC. So even if they have the proper tokens they never will in an actual game. I seem to remember someone making wagons show up as wild creatures and they bred just fine off screen though, with the only side effect being that they instantly self-destructed upon entering the fortress.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

JAFANZ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3769 on: January 08, 2013, 02:12:12 am »

Self-destructing wild wagons could be useful for free logs on maps with few trees.

Question, when training my gem cutter by cutting everything but but gems & glass, can I set up a stockpile that'll take only said worthless cr*p? (i.e. one [quantum] stockpile for cabochon-cut non-economic stone, & a separate one for actual gems or glass).

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3770 on: January 08, 2013, 08:22:55 am »

The limited pathfinding of 3x3 creatures (wagons) interferes with breeding IIRC. So even if they have the proper tokens they never will in an actual game. I seem to remember someone making wagons show up as wild creatures and they bred just fine off screen though, with the only side effect being that they instantly self-destructed upon entering the fortress.

I'm surprised the pathing comes into pay at all, honestly.  I was under the impression that DF literally checked if there was a male and a female anywhere on the map, and both weren't in cages.

I'm not surprised that they self destruct immediately though, I really doubt DF is prepared to handle wagons outside of the very specific cases they show up for in vanilla.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

comp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3771 on: January 13, 2013, 03:46:49 pm »

Hi, I found this reactor on the wiki
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Water_wheel#Mini_Water_Reactor
and it's not working (anymore).

I build it as instructed, then stared the pump and it worked but there were some 1/7 and 2/7 water blocks in the flow and I let my dwarfs dump some more buckets in there so it won't evaporate.
The situation now: 4 bottom tiles have 7/7 water, 2 top tiles have 6/7 and 7/7 water.
Both pump and water wheel are inactive.
Both have total power 0 and total power needed 20.
If I order a dwarf to pump it stays inactive and the 6/7 water block moves from top to the bottom pump intake tile.

Could it be that there is too much water in the system?
The wiki doesn't say anything about too much water though. It says that dwarfs will stop adding water when optimum water level is reached.
What went wrong?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3772 on: January 13, 2013, 04:58:36 pm »

Do you have anything connected to it? If you overload the reactor then it will stop working and won't start up again unless it has enough power to power everything connected to it and the pump itself. And you can't have too much water in it, so that isn't the problem.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #3773 on: January 13, 2013, 05:52:47 pm »

Is there any way of editing the raws of an existing game to enable new races to become playable in adventure mode? Lets say if I have an existing world etc. and want to play as a Minotaur outsider.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3774 on: January 13, 2013, 10:08:03 pm »

Is there any way of editing the raws of an existing game to enable new races to become playable in adventure mode? Lets say if I have an existing world etc. and want to play as a Minotaur outsider.
Unless I'm mistaken, something like that would need you to gen a new world.

gestahl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3775 on: January 14, 2013, 12:33:47 pm »

I'm surprised the pathing comes into pay at all, honestly.  I was under the impression that DF literally checked if there was a male and a female anywhere on the map, and both weren't in cages.
Things that just give birth to live young will only need a male to exist in the fort. Things that lay eggs (or atleast geese) need the male to be able to get to the eggs. Embark with a large amount of egg layers, wall the one male into a room, and then build the nest boxes...0 eggs hatch.
Cultural assimilation through conquest.
Sure, got a few unburied corpses lying around

comp

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3776 on: January 14, 2013, 02:58:39 pm »

Do you have anything connected to it? If you overload the reactor then it will stop working and won't start up again unless it has enough power to power everything connected to it and the pump itself. And you can't have too much water in it, so that isn't the problem.
There wasn't anything connected to the reactor.
I got it to work though. I used dfhack to remove one of the 7/7 blocks of water, started the pump and suddenly the reactor worked as advertised.
My dwarfs dumped some more buckets in there but this time I stopped them after there was enough water to fill the 1/7 and 2/7 tiles to minimum 4/7 levels.
I still don't really understand why it stopped working and wouldn't turn active.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3777 on: January 14, 2013, 03:28:41 pm »

Because I like snowy gameplay I started in a freezing area but I don't know how to get water there. Is there any way to melt the snow or use the frozen river?

TKGP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3778 on: January 14, 2013, 03:32:56 pm »

Because I like snowy gameplay I started in a freezing area but I don't know how to get water there. Is there any way to melt the snow or use the frozen river?
MAGMA
Or you can just dig down to the caverns, there's almost always some water in there.
Quote from: tomio175
Quote from: Mrhappyface
Well if COD players all have ADHD, and Minecrafters autism, then what do DF players all have?
Cave adaption.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #3779 on: January 14, 2013, 03:39:41 pm »

K, so either magma or a cavern. This should be fun.
Pages: 1 ... 250 251 [252] 253 254 ... 422