Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879698 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3690 on: December 30, 2012, 11:43:53 pm »

Did you have a hospital set up for a while and then disabled it? It's possible that those pieces of cloth are just leftover scraps from various tasks, and as a result you can't use them for anything but more bandage work.

Well, I had a hospital zone with the regular settings, but I dropped those to 0 across the board and put stockpiles in there instead after removing the coffers.  I assume that would fix that, but perhaps not?

Anyway, another question: after the minecart update, has engaging mounted soldiers become more dangerous?  I just tried taking a siege with melee soldiers for the first time in .34.11, and I found my legendary swordsmen dropping to injuries left and right.  Searching through the combat reports has mutilated corpses jamming ribs through organs.  The only thing I can figure is that the corpses are falling off of slain mounts onto the soldiers and causing massive injuries?  ???
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3691 on: January 01, 2013, 05:54:25 am »

Did you have a hospital set up for a while and then disabled it? It's possible that those pieces of cloth are just leftover scraps from various tasks, and as a result you can't use them for anything but more bandage work.

Well, I had a hospital zone with the regular settings, but I dropped those to 0 across the board and put stockpiles in there instead after removing the coffers.  I assume that would fix that, but perhaps not?

Anyway, another question: after the minecart update, has engaging mounted soldiers become more dangerous?  I just tried taking a siege with melee soldiers for the first time in .34.11, and I found my legendary swordsmen dropping to injuries left and right.  Searching through the combat reports has mutilated corpses jamming ribs through organs.  The only thing I can figure is that the corpses are falling off of slain mounts onto the soldiers and causing massive injuries?  ???

That sounds like the issue. Maybe de-mount everyone with a minecart first?
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
  • Hight Tentacle of the Eastern Marches
    • View Profile
« Reply #3692 on: January 01, 2013, 11:05:39 am »

Hey, guess what? 100 zombies + 4 necromances siege. Middle spring, second year. Do you have any ideas what to do? I have 2 necromancers trapped, my marksdwarves now have some serious training, but I can't even gather sapplings from farm, I have already slaughtered most of my animals, and most of my fort doesn't even remember the taste of booze. And the other worst thing is that... I can find only gold. Only god damn, useless gold. Not even a single piece of coal. I have 2 spears, 2 axes, one mace and one short sword... Somewhere between 30 zombies. I have equipped everyone with crossbows (I have about 500 bone bolts...), but half of my military died while defending the gates to let everyone in. All my traps are jammed or not loaded, because noone wants to get so close to zombies. Should I prepare for Fun or is there any way to survive?
Quote from: Necrisha
while I'm processing immigrants
Therefore, starve your metalsmiths for maximum gains.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3693 on: January 01, 2013, 12:08:44 pm »

Find some muddy ground, plump helmets galore. Dig down to find caverns for water and a tree farm. Dig down to the magma sea for easy renewable power.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3694 on: January 01, 2013, 12:16:30 pm »

I have a source of fresh water, so there is no problem about that. But I can't pump the water out of my farms, I forgot to add a fortification or something, so invaders can get in through aqueducts... Le fail. But I don't want to just seal everything off and wait... Do you have any ideas how to get rid of the siege? Maybe I should dig a second entrance, place traps just everywhere, order my marksdwarves to station behind some cover and open it by a cave-in/channel? I know, Dwarven Atom Smasher is a lot easier and safer, but it's cheating for me.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3695 on: January 01, 2013, 12:18:31 pm »

You could, also, just cave-in the surface.
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3696 on: January 01, 2013, 04:56:33 pm »

If I create a stockpile for barrels (furniture/type/barrels) what should I put for the number of barrels at <stockpile>/q/s/<Max Barrel>? Probably 0 since barrels cannot be put into barrels, but I'm not sure how the program handles this.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3697 on: January 01, 2013, 06:26:55 pm »

Yes, put 0 barrels. It's like that by default, since barrels are furniture.

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3698 on: January 01, 2013, 11:44:59 pm »

This is probably pretty basic, but I can't find the answer anywhere. Should my guided minecart stay on the track (at all)? My dwarves guide it straight as-the-crow-flies (well, as straight as you can get on a square grid, anyway) from the first stop to the second, instead of following the track.

If it matters, my test track has four east-west tiles connected to four north-south tiles by a north/west corner tile. Instead of shoving the cart straight east and then straight north along the track from stop 1 to stop 2, the dwarves guide it directly northeast across open ground, ignoring the track entirely. Is this normal?
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3699 on: January 02, 2013, 12:24:15 am »

That sounds like the issue. Maybe de-mount everyone with a minecart first?

As fun as that sounds, mucking around with minecarts is a bit outside the scope of this fort.  :)

Oddly enough the problem seems to have gone away.  I tried again and managed to kill maybe 20 mounted soldiers with no mutilated corpses mangling my own.  Very, very odd.

Of course, this fort is kind of odd anyway.  I had a noble go on break for 10 years, continue to have odd problems with thread and cloth being unusable, had invaders stop working for about 7 years, had someone get bitten by a wereanteater without turning into one, and now have mutilated corpses randomly attacking my soldiers as their mounts die.  ???
Through pain, I find wisdom.

☼!!Troll Fur Sock!!☼

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3700 on: January 02, 2013, 02:01:52 am »

This is probably pretty basic, but I can't find the answer anywhere. Should my guided minecart stay on the track (at all)? My dwarves guide it straight as-the-crow-flies (well, as straight as you can get on a square grid, anyway) from the first stop to the second, instead of following the track.

If it matters, my test track has four east-west tiles connected to four north-south tiles by a north/west corner tile. Instead of shoving the cart straight east and then straight north along the track from stop 1 to stop 2, the dwarves guide it directly northeast across open ground, ignoring the track entirely. Is this normal?
Dorfs follow stops, THEN track. For me, it works only if I place a stop on every turn of the track... And it takes forever ._.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3701 on: January 02, 2013, 06:41:11 am »

That shouldn't happen. Did you build the stops on the tracks?  Do you get any messages or exclamation marks in the hauling menu?
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3702 on: January 02, 2013, 08:21:04 am »

That shouldn't happen. Did you build the stops on the tracks?  Do you get any messages or exclamation marks in the hauling menu?
I placed a stop on the track at each end, but not on the corner. The track is like this:

Code: [Select]
    N
    N
    N
1EEEC

1 = First stop, on east-west track
E = East-west track
C = Corner, north-west track
N = North-south track
2 = Second stop, on north-south track
The minecart sits at 1), until guided to 2) and returned.

The hauling menu has no exclamation marks or anything showing an error. (And I know what they look like, because I set the route up incorrectly at first, and wound up deleting it.) The entry looks like this:
Route 1
    Stop 1   40% V
    Stop 2
The "V" is green and the percentage the cart is full rises regularly until a dwarf guides it away. The cart is guided along the hypotenuse of the triangle instead of the tracks. I notice that the route also highlights the place the dwarf moves the cart on the floor (in blue), instead of the tracks.
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3703 on: January 02, 2013, 11:39:15 am »

I have a source of fresh water, so there is no problem about that. But I can't pump the water out of my farms, I forgot to add a fortification or something, so invaders can get in through aqueducts... Le fail. But I don't want to just seal everything off and wait... Do you have any ideas how to get rid of the siege? Maybe I should dig a second entrance, place traps just everywhere, order my marksdwarves to station behind some cover and open it by a cave-in/channel? I know, Dwarven Atom Smasher is a lot easier and safer, but it's cheating for me.

Plant another farm. In the caverns if needed. And then go for some SERIOUS exploratory mining.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3704 on: January 02, 2013, 01:13:07 pm »

I placed a stop on the track at each end, but not on the corner. The track is like this:

N
    N
    N
1EEEC

1 = First stop, on east-west track
E = East-west track
C = Corner, north-west track
N = North-south track
2 = Second stop, on north-south track
The minecart sits at 1), until guided to 2) and returned.

The hauling menu has no exclamation marks or anything showing an error. (And I know what they look like, because I set the route up incorrectly at first, and wound up deleting it.) The entry looks like this:
Route 1
    Stop 1   40% V
    Stop 2
The "V" is green and the percentage the cart is full rises regularly until a dwarf guides it away. The cart is guided along the hypotenuse of the triangle instead of the tracks. I notice that the route also highlights the place the dwarf moves the cart on the floor (in blue), instead of the tracks.
Everything seems fine so far. The blue path is meaningless, it's like that on every route, but the carts should follow the track irregardless.
I set up a track like you did. Stop 1 is set to "guide east immediately when empty of any items" and Stop 2 has the same settings but guides south instead. The dwarfs happily push it to and fro along the tracks.

Does it work for you if you try these settings?
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: 1 ... 245 246 [247] 248 249 ... 422