Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879734 times)

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3675 on: December 26, 2012, 12:43:23 pm »

Wood. Logs. Technically a tree that is not alive anymore.

MasterN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3676 on: December 26, 2012, 01:33:52 pm »

Not as far as I know. I don't think increasing the value further affects megabeast arrivals.
The second female just showed up...
It's just their initial number. Keep that high at generation and they'll come. Lesson learned^^

Well the first training (that tames the creature in the first place) is always done from within the cage. Subsequently you can put it in whatever pasture you like, the trainer will just walk over and train them. There's almost no chance that they go wild and kill everything, unless the trainer goes mad or gets injured or dies. Also note that if you leave them in the cage, the trainer will only train it if it drops all the way back to wild. So if you want to breed them you have to pasture them somewhere. Don't forget nest boxes.
I knew that already. That's why I was afraid that they'd only be trained when they are wild. Testing that would've required a lot of time since they don't forget their training very quickly.

Oh your map only has 2 caverns? Cool, so is the top layer eqiuvalent to a normal layer 2 or layer 1? If it's the former then you probably can embark with cavern creatures right?

Regarding tunnel tubes: If spore trees, black-caps and goblin-caps are growing in your caverns, then it means your fort certainly should be able to support tunnel tubes. There could be some sort of bug due to your having only 2 cavern layers...but I'm not very sure about this.
My top layer is equivalent to level 2. I didn't notice any difference in the embark screen, but since I used pre-saved equipment I didn't take a closer look at the animal screen.
As XXSockXX already said, it's not a bug. Some maps just don't have all plants. I had that before... missing Black caps that time. I just wanted them for completion. 3 dragons occupying 2 Nest boxes containing a total of 5 eggs is compensation enough for a couple of trees.

Thank you both for your help.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3677 on: December 26, 2012, 03:49:27 pm »

Got some more weird issues with the cloth.  I went back and redid my stockpiles again so that I'd just have 5 thread and cloth stockpiled in my hospital without bins, so the rest would be stored next to the clothier's shop.  I have two problems now:

1. Apparently it's not possible to store cloth in these stockpiles without bins.  If I set the bin count to 0, no cloth ever gets moved there.  If I set it to 1, a bin of cloth gets moved there.  Same with the thread.  ???

2. I'm again having problems with dyed cloth that's in my cloth stockpile next to the shops being unusable.  I get spam about it, even though it's there, not forbidden, not in a burrow, and is dyed.  This is mysterious.

I'm considering just atomsmashing it all and buying more to start over.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3678 on: December 26, 2012, 04:24:06 pm »

Was all the cloth binned before you started trying to get the new stockpiles filled? Dwarves won't take goods out of a bin to haul them, so if you want your binned cloth transferred to a binless stockpile you'll have to dump it out of the bins first (set up a temporary dump zone in the middle of the stockpile, d-b-d the whole stockpile, and then k over and undump each bin).

I don't know about the dyed cloth.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3679 on: December 26, 2012, 04:55:33 pm »

Oh, okay, that makes sense.  That's very intersting though, I've never noticed that behavior before.  Thanks, I can probably get the problem mostly fixed now.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3680 on: December 29, 2012, 11:43:34 am »

My dwarven civilisation has a goblin town as part of it on the region screen.  Will I get goblin migrants?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3681 on: December 29, 2012, 01:19:54 pm »

No. Only dwarfs will immigrate.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3682 on: December 30, 2012, 08:25:28 am »

1) Why is designating a 70*70 upward ramp so much more FPS-intensive than digging a whole layer of rock?
1 bis) Why are dwarves so much safer digging upward ramps than channels?

2) How do I check the value of attributes (Strength etc) with vanilla DF and the latest LNP (v1.5)?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3683 on: December 30, 2012, 08:37:00 am »

I don't recall, but maybe splinterz DwarfTherapist shows it
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3684 on: December 30, 2012, 11:14:10 am »

Was all the cloth binned before you started trying to get the new stockpiles filled? Dwarves won't take goods out of a bin to haul them, so if you want your binned cloth transferred to a binless stockpile you'll have to dump it out of the bins first (set up a temporary dump zone in the middle of the stockpile, d-b-d the whole stockpile, and then k over and undump each bin).
Oh, okay, that makes sense.  That's very intersting though, I've never noticed that behavior before.  Thanks, I can probably get the problem mostly fixed now.
An alternate way to do this is to set up your new binless stockpile for cloth, tell it to "take" from the old stockpile, and then disable cloth storage on the old stockpile. Your dwarves should run right up to the old stockpile, grab the cloth out of the bins, and then stick it in the new stockpile. The same method also works to get bags of seeds out of barrels.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3685 on: December 30, 2012, 11:33:42 am »

Ooh, neat.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3686 on: December 30, 2012, 01:05:21 pm »

An alternate way to do this is to set up your new binless stockpile for cloth, tell it to "take" from the old stockpile, and then disable cloth storage on the old stockpile. Your dwarves should run right up to the old stockpile, grab the cloth out of the bins, and then stick it in the new stockpile. The same method also works to get bags of seeds out of barrels.

That would have been easier than what I ended up doing, which was basically what Sutremaine suggested.  In future forts I think I'll just set up the hospital's cloth stockpile to take from anywhere and the main cloth stockpile to take from it.  That way the hospital gets priority and overflow is used for clothes.

I'm still having very strange issues with some of the cloth in my fort.  I almost think some of it is broken somehow.  Maybe the items got corrupted, I don't know.  I've got maybe 30 pieces of cloth that cannot be dyed, and about 15 that cannot be used to make clothes despite being dyed.  I tried dumping them out of the bins and having them moved back to the cloth stockpile outside of the bins, and despite being right next to the clothier's shop they can't be used.  Cloth that I just dyed which got moved there is used though.  The cloth that I can dye anyway.

It's all, very, very odd.  I'm probably just going to smash the bad stuff to get rid of it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3687 on: December 30, 2012, 01:07:46 pm »

Did you have a hospital set up for a while and then disabled it? It's possible that those pieces of cloth are just leftover scraps from various tasks, and as a result you can't use them for anything but more bandage work.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3688 on: December 30, 2012, 02:08:50 pm »

I don't recall, but maybe splinterz DwarfTherapist shows it
Nope. It does show attributes though.

Another question: Is it possible to gen a 0-year old world? I know world-gen lasts at least 2 years, but maybe through modding?
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3689 on: December 30, 2012, 05:55:25 pm »

Another question: Is it possible to gen a 0-year old world? I know world-gen lasts at least 2 years, but maybe through modding?
Nope. World gen is the only way to make a world, so the shortest you can do is a 2 year world.
Pages: 1 ... 244 245 [246] 247 248 ... 422