Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879736 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3660 on: December 24, 2012, 06:54:07 pm »

I've got a strange problem with my cloth and thread.  I see I have about 200 of it in my stocks screen.  It's not forbidden.  If I zoom to it, it's in the cloth stockpile next to my clothier's shop and loom.  Yet, whenever I issue orders to weave the thread or make clothes, I get spam on there being no undyed cloth available.  If I inspect the cloth, it is indeed dyed.

So it's dyed, the stockpile is set to give to the workshop, and it's not forbidden.  I have no burrows set up in this fort, so that's not it either.

Any ideas?  I thought it might have been a strange problem with the hospital claiming it, so I removed the coffers in there and set up stockpiles to get around the claiming too much cloth and thread bug, but it didn't make any difference.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3661 on: December 24, 2012, 07:00:58 pm »

I have a number of caged animals in my stockpiles, but they do not show up in the list of pasturable animals.  Any ideas?

Are they dead? I got some stuff stuck in cages a while back; 'bought' them off the elves, then forgot to pasture them, and they starved to death.

Check the stocks menu. You have to unforbid corpses in cages, and order them to be dumped.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3662 on: December 24, 2012, 07:25:24 pm »

I've got a strange problem with my cloth and thread.  I see I have about 200 of it in my stocks screen.  It's not forbidden.  If I zoom to it, it's in the cloth stockpile next to my clothier's shop and loom.  Yet, whenever I issue orders to weave the thread or make clothes, I get spam on there being no undyed cloth available.  If I inspect the cloth, it is indeed dyed.

So it's dyed, the stockpile is set to give to the workshop, and it's not forbidden.  I have no burrows set up in this fort, so that's not it either.

Any ideas?  I thought it might have been a strange problem with the hospital claiming it, so I removed the coffers in there and set up stockpiles to get around the claiming too much cloth and thread bug, but it didn't make any difference.

Try o , W , d (change to 'Use Any Cloth' )

and see if that works.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3663 on: December 25, 2012, 02:37:34 am »

Right, I tried that and it's kind of interesting.  I actually had a typo in my last post: the error message was that there was no unused dyed cloth, and the setting was purposefully set to only use dyed cloth.  I tried changing it back for giggles and now it works.

Interestingly, it seems that undyed cloth can be used just fine, but they won't touch the dyed stuff.  What gives with that?  I guess it's possible that I broke something when I tried the hospital stockpile workaround, but this was happening even before I did that.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3664 on: December 25, 2012, 07:44:22 am »

I'd suggest that the dyed cloth and thread has been partially used for hospital work, but with 200 units being ignored that's less likely. Have you done that much wound dressing and suturing?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3665 on: December 25, 2012, 01:57:33 pm »

Nah, not nearly that much.  The funny thing is that the cloth was right there in the stockpile next to the workshop.  Yet it still spammed about it being unusable.  I'm positive it's not forbidden, and it is dyed if I inspect it.

I thought maybe it was because the hospital had claimed way too much of it and maybe had it "marked" for hospital use even though it wasn't in the hospital.  Checking the hospital stocks would show a massive surplus over the amount that was supposed to be there (but that's normal, considering the bug).  I don't know if that possibly has anything to do with it, but maybe.  I was seeing the same problem with unspun thread that was in the stockpile next to my loom, so it gives a little credence to the theory.

Right now I have an unrelated problem in my hospital I need to sort out.  Apparently when I replaced the coffers with stockpiles, even allowing a single bin of cloth will take almost all of what I had stocked up.  They took all of the dyed cloth to the hospital, so I'm going to rework it to only allow 5 or 6 tiles with no bins, which will hopefully solve that issue.  Maybe once I do that the problem will go away.  I know that cloth can't be used now because of the way I set up the stockpile links.

MasterN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3666 on: December 25, 2012, 03:55:33 pm »

I'm sorry for just asking questions without contributing anything...

Presently, and most likely for quite some additional time, I prefer playing.

The two questions I have now are the following:

1.) How do I get megabeasts (namely Dragons or Rocs, much less Forgotten beasts) to attack my base?
This map has the megabeast caves set to 100 on a 66x66 map to ensure enough beasts are present.
I modified my RAW, so that, hopefully, even the Dragons will reproduce. Only problem: I need them in my traps...
Sort of connected problem: On my last save I had a captured dragon. Training (god forbid taming...) it was, as described on the wiki, quite difficult. Because I like to keep my base without it falling into oblivion, I need to know if an assigned trainer will train the animals back to the "Trained" status when they are semi-wild, or if the trainer will only start if they are wild...

2.) My present map doesn't have Tunnel tubes, for whatever reason (layer 3 only-bloodthorns are present). Is there a method to make them grow? (Any method suffices)
« Last Edit: December 25, 2012, 04:26:05 pm by MasterN »

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3667 on: December 25, 2012, 04:39:19 pm »

One of my first migrants got a strange mood while in my meeting hall. The workshop he needs (metalsmith's forge) is impossible for me to build; embarked with no anvil, first caravan naturally doesn't have one. So he's just standing in the middle of my crowded dining room having his strange mood, waiting to become insane.

I'm assuming the only real course of action is to trade for some weapons, make a squad, and dispatch them to the dining room to kill him when he finally snaps. I know I could burrow the other dwarves out of the dining room long enough to wall him up, but then I'm stuck with a crappy looking wall in the middle of my otherwise nice dining room.

Suggestions?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3668 on: December 25, 2012, 05:03:12 pm »

One of my first migrants got a strange mood while in my meeting hall. The workshop he needs (metalsmith's forge) is impossible for me to build; embarked with no anvil, first caravan naturally doesn't have one. So he's just standing in the middle of my crowded dining room having his strange mood, waiting to become insane.

I'm assuming the only real course of action is to trade for some weapons, make a squad, and dispatch them to the dining room to kill him when he finally snaps. I know I could burrow the other dwarves out of the dining room long enough to wall him up, but then I'm stuck with a crappy looking wall in the middle of my otherwise nice dining room.

Suggestions?

Just let him go melancholy, or buy an anvil.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

MasterN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3669 on: December 25, 2012, 05:09:31 pm »

Suggestions?
Not every failed strange mood results in insanity. The dwarf may just starve himself to death (most of my failed attempts resulted in a quiet death).
You can also deconstruct self made walls. d, n. And then mark what you want to remove. (Although weapons are never wrong...)

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3670 on: December 26, 2012, 01:55:35 am »

How do I get megabeasts (namely Dragons or Rocs, much less Forgotten beasts) to attack my base?
This map has the megabeast caves set to 100 on a 66x66 map to ensure enough beasts are present.

Megabeasts and titans only appear if you have a minimum of 100000 bucks and 80 population. Forgotten beasts can attack much earlier, but they cannot be captured. Usually a lot of the megabeasts die before the end of worldgen, so you could try ending worldgen earlier (maybe after just 50 years or something). I guess your setting might make it more likely for megabeasts to appear, but they don't come very often for me. You might have to wait for a few years.

Sort of connected problem: On my last save I had a captured dragon. Training (god forbid taming...) it was, as described on the wiki, quite difficult. Because I like to keep my base without it falling into oblivion, I need to know if an assigned trainer will train the animals back to the "Trained" status when they are semi-wild, or if the trainer will only start if they are wild...

The trainer usually reinforces training before it reaches semi wild, sometimes even if it's already well-trained. If your trainer is good enough it would take a long time for it to reach semi-wild. If you want to level up your animal trainer, just breed a lot of dogs and get him to train all of them to war dogs. So don't worry your dragon won't kill everyone.

However, you have to make sure that the dragon does not kill any of your dwarves before it's tamed. If it does, then it may go around eating stuff even after it's tamed. I'm not sure if this bug has been resolved, but it's been around for a while.

My present map doesn't have Tunnel tubes, for whatever reason (layer 3 only-bloodthorns are present). Is there a method to make them grow? (Any method suffices)

If there are only blood thorns in layer 3, that means there's no water in layer 3, so no tunnel tubes or any other kind of tree. Tunnel tubes can also grow in layer 2, so go check layer 2. If they're not there in layer 2, then unfortunately there's no way you can get tunnel tube logs.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

MasterN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3671 on: December 26, 2012, 04:08:15 am »

Megabeasts and titans only appear if you have a minimum of 100000 bucks and 80 population. Forgotten beasts can attack much earlier, but they cannot be captured. Usually a lot of the megabeasts die before the end of worldgen, so you could try ending worldgen earlier (maybe after just 50 years or something). I guess your setting might make it more likely for megabeasts to appear, but they don't come very often for me. You might have to wait for a few years.
In addition I set the cancelation on megabeast-deaths to 25% at one year before generation stoppage, so there were at least 75 present on the map when I embarked. It payed off. Roughly half an hour after I posted my qestion, a female dragon appeared. Not even half an hour after that, a male did. But I guess from your answer, that there's no way to aktively encourage them. Not even with a very high worth of your base?

The trainer usually reinforces training before it reaches semi wild, sometimes even if it's already well-trained. If your trainer is good enough it would take a long time for it to reach semi-wild. If you want to level up your animal trainer, just breed a lot of dogs and get him to train all of them to war dogs. So don't worry your dragon won't kill everyone.
I've got about 30 dogs and a lot of captured underground animals. So training the trainer is, and was, well on it's way (even had to butcher a lot of war dogs, because they started to attack each other^^).

However, you have to make sure that the dragon does not kill any of your dwarves before it's tamed. If it does, then it may go around eating stuff even after it's tamed. I'm not sure if this bug has been resolved, but it's been around for a while.
I think that should be fairly easy to achieve with a remote pasture/training area. My base defences are (possibly apart from gaseos Beasts) practically inpenetrable (if i don't forget to pause and wander off), so the possibility of them engaging in combat are next to zero. The only trouble would be if they reverted to a wild state, which is the reason why i trained them within their cages until now.

If there are only blood thorns in layer 3, that means there's no water in layer 3, so no tunnel tubes or any other kind of tree. Tunnel tubes can also grow in layer 2, so go check layer 2. If they're not there in layer 2, then unfortunately there's no way you can get tunnel tube logs.
My mistake... what I meant to say was, that my map contains blood thorns which only grow on layer 3. My map has only 2 layers of caves. The meager space on 3-layer cavern maps was really annoying me. There was water, even infinite sources on the edge at one point, but i drained it into open space for more growing area. And everything grows... except Tunnel tubes... which did grow on another map with the same cave configuration.
While this might be the wrong section for this question: Is there no cheat... ups... I mean mod which could achieve this? (btw... if you don't know of one, then don't start searching, I'm in the process of doing it myself already.)

Spinning Fly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3672 on: December 26, 2012, 08:02:50 am »

But I guess from your answer, that there's no way to aktively encourage them. Not even with a very high worth of your base?

Not as far as I know. I don't think increasing the value further affects megabeast arrivals.

I've got about 30 dogs and a lot of captured underground animals. So training the trainer is, and was, well on it's way (even had to butcher a lot of war dogs, because they started to attack each other^^).

You might want to make your pasture bigger, that is if you don't want to keep butchering them.

I think that should be fairly easy to achieve with a remote pasture/training area. My base defences are (possibly apart from gaseos Beasts) practically inpenetrable (if i don't forget to pause and wander off), so the possibility of them engaging in combat are next to zero. The only trouble would be if they reverted to a wild state, which is the reason why i trained them within their cages until now.

Well the first training (that tames the creature in the first place) is always done from within the cage. Subsequently you can put it in whatever pasture you like, the trainer will just walk over and train them. There's almost no chance that they go wild and kill everything, unless the trainer goes mad or gets injured or dies. Also note that if you leave them in the cage, the trainer will only train it if it drops all the way back to wild. So if you want to breed them you have to pasture them somewhere. Don't forget nest boxes.

My mistake... what I meant to say was, that my map contains blood thorns which only grow on layer 3. My map has only 2 layers of caves. The meager space on 3-layer cavern maps was really annoying me. There was water, even infinite sources on the edge at one point, but i drained it into open space for more growing area. And everything grows... except Tunnel tubes... which did grow on another map with the same cave configuration.
While this might be the wrong section for this question: Is there no cheat... ups... I mean mod which could achieve this? (btw... if you don't know of one, then don't start searching, I'm in the process of doing it myself already.)

Oh your map only has 2 caverns? Cool, so is the top layer eqiuvalent to a normal layer 2 or layer 1? If it's the former then you probably can embark with cavern creatures right?

Regarding tunnel tubes: If spore trees, black-caps and goblin-caps are growing in your caverns, then it means your fort certainly should be able to support tunnel tubes. There could be some sort of bug due to your having only 2 cavern layers...but I'm not very sure about this.
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent. The competent use magma.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3673 on: December 26, 2012, 08:11:19 am »

Regarding tunnel tubes: If spore trees, black-caps and goblin-caps are growing in your caverns, then it means your fort certainly should be able to support tunnel tubes. There could be some sort of bug due to your having only 2 cavern layers...but I'm not very sure about this.
It's not a bug. On some maps caverns just don't have all trees and there is no cheat or mod to change that in an ongoing fort. I noticed that if I use the same world, but with different history or shorter/longer history, it is possible to get different cavern trees on the same embark. You can re-gen the world over and over with different history seeds or changing number of MBs or let history run longer/shorter and eventually you will get a map that has all trees. But there is no way to change that in an ongoing game AFAIK, cheats can only change item materials, not living plants.

McMagma

• Bay Watcher
  • McMagma, Fortress Addict.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3674 on: December 26, 2012, 11:42:49 am »

What is Tree... Life?
I have a dwarf it a mood asking for "Tree... Life"
i have lots of tree... i don't wonderstend...
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 [245] 246 247 ... 422