Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 879797 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3615 on: December 21, 2012, 05:15:13 pm »

There are five deceased of the things in my units list.
Are you playing with any mods? Some mods will add wildlife to below that can get into conflicts with the locals.

Are ballistas worthwhile?
If you build your defense very well around them then they can be very powerful. In general I don't really ever use them though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3616 on: December 21, 2012, 05:19:31 pm »

I think I had wanderers friend installed but looking closely it might be double raws, in which case it should be hilarious when I breach the caverns.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #3617 on: December 21, 2012, 05:43:21 pm »

I've had the same when some cave swallow people were fighting some kind of monster. They killed the first but got wiped out by the second that was inorganic, their spears and blowguns just couldn't harm it, so I had a list of deceased cave swallow men and women, one of them friendly, the one that killed the first beast. All the time they were fighting I got messages about the beast getting enraged and then not anymore etc...
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3618 on: December 21, 2012, 06:34:24 pm »

Very generally, I'm having a hard time coming up with good ways to make enough beds for my forts when they start exceeding 100 dwarves. No embark has enough trees. Do i just trade for wood, or is there a method of bedroom management that makes it so they share them?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3619 on: December 21, 2012, 06:46:53 pm »

you can set a group of beds as a dormitory, but yeah, I usually trade for wood. It's cheap in any case and after a while I prefer not to go to the surface too much. Once the underground tree farms get working everything is fine
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3620 on: December 21, 2012, 07:06:25 pm »

you can set a group of beds as a dormitory, but yeah, I usually trade for wood. It's cheap in any case and after a while I prefer not to go to the surface too much. Once the underground tree farms get working everything is fine
Pretty much this. Just trade for all the wood that caravans bring you, and set up a tree farm as soon as you can. Also it's generally a good idea to have a dormitory (I generally run about 20 beds in my larger dormitories) until you manage to get enough bedrooms for all of your dwarves.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3621 on: December 21, 2012, 07:22:55 pm »

Okay, what gives here. After a full year of successful trading at my depot, the dwarven caravan just arrived and their wagons "have bypassed my inaccessible site."  The depot is surrounded by wagon accessible ground, but the depot itself is being declared inaccessible.

Regular view:

Depot accessibility view:

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3622 on: December 21, 2012, 07:36:43 pm »

there is a boulder blocking the pathway. It's too narrow between it and the statue and wagons can't cross stairs

or the stairs are blocking the path, whichever way you'd want to see it

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3623 on: December 21, 2012, 07:44:14 pm »

Ach! Those damned stairs. I knew they were a bad idea.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3624 on: December 21, 2012, 07:46:39 pm »

just get rid of that boulder and the path is open from the other direction. build a floor over it or whatever

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3625 on: December 21, 2012, 07:51:41 pm »

Or just smooth it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3627 on: December 21, 2012, 07:57:10 pm »

For my final question--will a succession of 10 stonefall traps actually do any damage to invaders?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3628 on: December 21, 2012, 07:58:47 pm »

depends on the invader, but it's highly unreliable

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3629 on: December 21, 2012, 08:22:04 pm »

For real last question--it looks as if there's a ton of items laying around my trade depot. Haulers don't recognize them. Most of it is wood, some appears to be crafts I brought to trade but didn't end up using. How do I get this stuff out of the depot and into the fort?
Pages: 1 ... 240 241 [242] 243 244 ... 422