Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881811 times)

Xheia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3420 on: November 24, 2012, 11:59:47 pm »

Is there any way to stop dragon-caused fires from spreading? My map is mostly flat, and I want to save some of that grass... (I do have indoor moss though).

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3421 on: November 25, 2012, 02:10:34 am »

I haven't tried it myself, but I've read that you can lay down stockpiles to stop the spread of fire.

The grass will grow back though, if that's what you're worried about.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3422 on: November 25, 2012, 02:39:53 am »

Is there any way to stop dragon-caused fires from spreading? My map is mostly flat, and I want to save some of that grass... (I do have indoor moss though).

Make walls around whatever you want to keep. Or even bridges/road/floor, but dragon fire will go over them so you'll want walls to keep the fire from dragons themselves out!

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3423 on: November 25, 2012, 03:48:18 am »

Does leaving a farm plot fallow for a season improve fertility?

No, there is just nothing planted that season. I set fields to fallow if I overproduce certain plants after a while.

ToxicFyre

• Bay Watcher
  • Existence is Futile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3424 on: November 30, 2012, 04:13:44 pm »

Hey, I like keeping farmers inside a little farm district. Having their food, sleep and work there.
This means that farmers will be able to work full time on their farms.

However, I have some problems.
For some strange reasons, food is in a barrel alongside my seeds. (Barrel containing both is is seed stockpile)
So when a dwarf wants to cook something they take the entire barrel, ridding my farmers of seeds.

What can I do to prevent this?
(also how do I choose which dwarves do the dumping?)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3425 on: November 30, 2012, 04:28:16 pm »

You could turn off barrels for that stockpile.

Every dwarf with the refuse dumping labor will dump garbage. Disable the labor if you don't want that.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

MoridinUK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3426 on: November 30, 2012, 04:48:05 pm »

Adamantine:

I understand that 'Fun' can come out of adamantine if I mine it.  What I want to know is, that if I am careful not to breach the hollow part of the spire will I be ok?

I've found a spire that has quite a bit of adamantine, hanging about around it, in single block pieces.  I'm guessing I can dig them out without bring fun to my fort?  I depserately need it as I think I just mortally offended the Elves, (I was sure that bin wasn't made of wood... I hate the elves)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3427 on: November 30, 2012, 05:28:22 pm »

What I want to know is, that if I am careful not to breach the hollow part of the spire will I be ok?
Yes. The 2x2 area you need to avoid revealing is connected to the one below it by at least one tile, so you can use that information as well in your game of minesweeper.

I depserately need it as I think I just mortally offended the Elves, (I was sure that bin wasn't made of wood... I hate the elves)
Elves have wooden weapons and armour. If you can deal with goblins, you can deal with elves. If you can't deal with goblins, you have a better chance of being able to deal with elves. It doesn't really matter in this case anyway as offending them once doesn't make them do anything but pack up and go home. Offending them repeatedly also seems to not put them off next year's trading at all.

The items you wanted to trade for remain on the trade list even if you try to trade them wood, so if (t)rade is no longer an option you can go directly to (s)iezing the goods.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

ToxicFyre

• Bay Watcher
  • Existence is Futile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3428 on: November 30, 2012, 06:33:32 pm »

My dwarves are not harvesting...
I have my farmers to not do anything except farm, but still they pass right next to the plant, and keep planting seeds instead of harvesting.
Help! They are gonna rot. ):

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3429 on: November 30, 2012, 07:06:42 pm »

Try having some extra dwarves doing nothing and then turning on "All Dwarves Harvest" (o-h)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

ToxicFyre

• Bay Watcher
  • Existence is Futile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3430 on: November 30, 2012, 07:36:40 pm »

yay. That seemed to work. Thanks!  :)

Just one last question. (I'm gonna get annoying if I keep asking like this XD.)
How do you forbid the movement of barrels and bags?
My stupid fisherman takes the entire food barrel all the way to the river, gets his fish, and returns the entire barrel. (Instead of just taking the fish to the barrel in the stockpile)
And dwarves repeatedly take my seed bag to pick up seeds in the dining room, leaving the farmer whining for seeds.

I just need to know how to solve this and then I'll get off your back.  :P
Thank you all for your help.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3431 on: November 30, 2012, 07:53:12 pm »

I think the simplest solution is to set the number of barrels in those stockpiles to 0.  You can feed from them into a larger stockpile that allows barrels.  I think that's how most people solve that issue these days.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3432 on: December 01, 2012, 10:16:12 am »

How do fluids act on Slopes or Ramps? The wiki is not clear to me. For example: What is the best way of building a funnel that collects rain, does it matter if I use ramps?:

|_             _|              or          |     |
         |_        _|                             \    /
            |_   _|                                |  |
               | |                                   \ /

Fluoman

• Bay Watcher
  • Anything the game allows.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3433 on: December 01, 2012, 11:49:07 am »

Eggs & vermin:
I discovered the power of egg production recently but haven't been able to see wether it is possible to cook different kinds of eggs together, or not. Boozecooking eggs is possible, but would turkey egg + duck egg be a cookable meal?

EDIT: Yes, it is. We have an alternative to plump helmets for easy renewable food sources.

I get that vermin will spawn and may ruin food stockpiles, but given the rampant over production in food stockpiles, wouldn't it be better to let vermin live?
If not, are cats the only vermin-hunting animals available at embark?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2012, 01:10:10 pm by Fluoman »
"hey, look, my left hand! It's only bones now, gosh, has it been that long since that cave dragon bit it off?"

RtDs!

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3434 on: December 01, 2012, 01:33:31 pm »

How do fluids act on Slopes or Ramps? The wiki is not clear to me. For example: What is the best way of building a funnel that collects rain, does it matter if I use ramps?:

|_             _|              or          |     |
         |_        _|                             \    /
            |_   _|                                |  |
               | |                                   \ /

Keep in mind, rain only gets collected in murky pools. A funnel won't help.
But anyways, I don't think that fluids behave differently on ramps than on floors. Both funnels should be equally efficient if you pour water in them.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: 1 ... 227 228 [229] 230 231 ... 422