Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881803 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3405 on: November 20, 2012, 10:20:36 am »

Any idea why I can't use the screw press to make rock oil for soap? I have the rock paste stored and ready to be used, as well as empty jugs available, but the job at the screw press is still red. Am I missing a step? Does something need to be done to the paste after being milled?
As AutomataKittay suggest try queueing it up at the manager. It's a fairly common bug that occurs when dealing with paste/oil/honeycombs where the game "misses" the fact that a job can be done and doensn't let you queue it up, but if you order it through the manager then they will do it just fine.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Altruist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3406 on: November 20, 2012, 03:13:30 pm »

A bedroom that's assigned to a married dwarf is also automatically assigned to that dwarf's spouse.

They can't both sleep in the same bed at the same time, though.  Nor have I ever seen them attempt it -- but then, I haven't really been watching for it.

I have seen a dwarf, his wife, and their 13 year old child (he came in a migrant wave and hadn't hit adulthood yet) all asleep at the exact same time in the same bed. Each of them had the Zs.   34.11

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3407 on: November 20, 2012, 05:50:48 pm »

A bedroom that's assigned to a married dwarf is also automatically assigned to that dwarf's spouse.

They can't both sleep in the same bed at the same time, though.  Nor have I ever seen them attempt it -- but then, I haven't really been watching for it.

I have seen a dwarf, his wife, and their 13 year old child (he came in a migrant wave and hadn't hit adulthood yet) all asleep at the exact same time in the same bed. Each of them had the Zs.   34.11

I can confirm that. It seems somewhat rare though. In most cases dwarfs have slightly different sleep cycles and will not attempt to sleep in a bed that is already occupied.

Altruist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3408 on: November 20, 2012, 07:57:46 pm »

I have seen some people claim that they have "bred" larger animals. Do offspring really carry the characteristics of their parents? And if so, what's the difference between "enormous" and "gigantic" (as they both seem to mean large to me)?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3409 on: November 20, 2012, 08:37:04 pm »

I have seen some people claim that they have "bred" larger animals. Do offspring really carry the characteristics of their parents? And if so, what's the difference between "enormous" and "gigantic" (as they both seem to mean large to me)?
Yes, animals inherit traits from their parents (though breeding a specific animal usually involves genociding all other animals of the same species since animals breed through spores) but other then some small meat amount increases in certain species and small combat buffs in others due to the larger size, it has little effect on the animals. A general rule is that the larger the animal is the more useful large animals will be (since it's percent based).
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flare

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3410 on: November 21, 2012, 02:40:53 am »

If I make a stockpile that takes everything and then I make a second stockpile that only takes wood and in which I toggle to take from the first pile that takes everything, will dwarves actively take from that first pile and put it into the second stockpile without disabling wood in the first stockpile?

And what does this passage mean?

Your track might not be built correctly. Make sure all connected tracks between destinations are not one-way tracks.
This can be especially confusing with ramps. To carve a two-way track on a (natural) ramp, you must designate the ramp and one square beyond in the direction you want the track to go.
Ramps must have a solid block on the side opposite to the track, or they will neither work nor be marked as "unusable". The solid block can be natural or constructed.

Can you show me an example that would work and an example that wouldn't work that the paragraph is talking about?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3411 on: November 21, 2012, 11:08:25 am »

If I make a stockpile that takes everything and then I make a second stockpile that only takes wood and in which I toggle to take from the first pile that takes everything, will dwarves actively take from that first pile and put it into the second stockpile without disabling wood in the first stockpile?
Yes, and if stockpile 2 ever fills up then stockpile 1 will be used as overflow until there is room. Keep in mind that each piece of wood will require two hauling tasks now, as dwarves will move it first to stockpile 1, set it down, and then pick it up and carry it to stockpile 2. Many times it just means the same dwarf has to haul the wood a little farther, but every once in a while it will take a fair bit longer if a different dwarf claims the task.

walberg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3412 on: November 21, 2012, 11:13:48 am »

Yes, and if stockpile 2 ever fills up then stockpile 1 will be used as overflow until there is room. Keep in mind that each piece of wood will require two hauling tasks now, as dwarves will move it first to stockpile 1, set it down, and then pick it up and carry it to stockpile 2. Many times it just means the same dwarf has to haul the wood a little farther, but every once in a while it will take a fair bit longer if a different dwarf claims the task.

That's not quite true, at least not always - it depends on the relative placement of the piles. Which pile they haul it to first depends on some twisted notion of which stockpile is closer, either to where the dorf is when he agrees to the job or where the log he picks up is. I'm not sure all the possible corner cases for how they select which item and which stock pile are completely known. However, as this is DF, it most often turns out to be as you suggest...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3413 on: November 21, 2012, 11:15:55 am »

That's not quite true, at least not always - it depends on the relative placement of the piles. Which pile they haul it to first depends on some twisted notion of which stockpile is closer, either to where the dorf is when he agrees to the job or where the log he picks up is. I'm not sure all the possible corner cases for how they select which item and which stock pile are completely known. However, as this is DF, it most often turns out to be as you suggest...
Good point, I was assuming that you had the stockpile set to only take from links, in which case what I said would be true.

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3414 on: November 23, 2012, 05:44:54 pm »

Does leaving a farm plot fallow for a season improve fertility?

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3415 on: November 23, 2012, 08:20:40 pm »

I am having a problem with my Populous ignoring the vast quantities of Food and Drink and opting instead to Drink from the well, and hunting for Vermin.

Spoiler: Stocks and Health (click to show/hide)

This is my first fort ever to do well enough to be considered for being a Barony. So I really hope I can figure out how to pull out of the terminal nosedive I'm currently in.
The Embark is a Volcano in a Scorching Rocky Wasteland. So I do my best to keep everybody in doors. For the whole life of my Fort thirst has been an issue, and Booze has always been in high demand, but it seems that nobody drinks it any more  ???

Spoiler: Thoughts (click to show/hide)
I have a Well, Bedrooms and a Legendary engraved Dinging Hall.
But these are things almost everybody complains they don't have.

Any ideas or suggestions would be a huge help. Thanks folks.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3416 on: November 23, 2012, 09:04:42 pm »

Have you been removing ramps or up stairs lately? Dwarves suddenly not having access to essentials is usually a pathing problem, and it's easy to catch an access ramp or stairwell in the designation area.

Do you have a particular kind of item that's kept in one area, like statues or hatches? Try to build that furniture where the dwarves are, and then where the food and booze is. If you can build it in one location and not in the other, then there's no link between the two.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3417 on: November 23, 2012, 10:30:37 pm »

Have you been removing ramps or up stairs lately? Dwarves suddenly not having access to essentials is usually a pathing problem, and it's easy to catch an access ramp or stairwell in the designation area.

Do you have a particular kind of item that's kept in one area, like statues or hatches? Try to build that furniture where the dwarves are, and then where the food and booze is. If you can build it in one location and not in the other, then there's no link between the two.

Fortress layout is simple and straight forward. All areas are joined to two vertical stair cases and connected via main hallway.
All the Major hallways are 3 wide, with no locked doors impeding access.  Granted to could be a fair walk from one end to the other, but distance is the only obstacle to any of the rooms or stockpiles.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3418 on: November 24, 2012, 02:57:27 am »

Does leaving a farm plot fallow for a season improve fertility?

Nope, farm is pretty simplistic. Your farmer's skill improves the output, and potash fertilize it ( IIRC around +50% ). Roughly 3 average with 5 the max for legendary farmer, and around 4ish average and 9 max with potash and legendary.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3419 on: November 24, 2012, 03:17:04 pm »

Fortress layout is simple and straight forward. All areas are joined to two vertical stair cases and connected via main hallway.
All the Major hallways are 3 wide, with no locked doors impeding access.  Granted to could be a fair walk from one end to the other, but distance is the only obstacle to any of the rooms or stockpiles.
Try and station some dwarves over the food and drink stockpiles, and then check the Units screen. Their job should be 'Station'.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: 1 ... 226 227 [228] 229 230 ... 422