Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881766 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3390 on: November 17, 2012, 06:47:48 pm »

Ha!  I make it up as I go. 

I guess the short answer, should have been. 

Don't use the last two choices. 

Only use T - Train, in the objects properties is useful. 

Cabinets.  The last two choices do nothing in this version worth doing, they would go on a cabinet.  If they were used somewhere.

Like Greycat says, why would you want them to stow away their gear, better they wear it ALL the time.  The Individual option lets us stow away a single soldiers gear based on his position in a squad.  The position is noted, so the cabinet doesn't have to be relabeled, reconfigured, when that soldier dies.  It'll just store stuff based on his position.  Think of it like a locker number.

While the squad option lets us stow away the entire squad's gear. 

Those two options haven't got a really useful use in other items, since we don't store items in weapon racks/armor stands, or archery targets, or beds.  *shrug*  That sound less, well, less made up?  I sometimes stow a peanut butter and jelly sandwich in my chair.  Doesn't everyone?  HEH!
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: November 18, 2012, 02:44:21 am »

On the barracks screen you can enable sleeping, training, individual combat drills and squad combat drills. Whats the difference between those last three? Sleeping I get.

Those three are various form of training, squad drills are demonstration, IIRC, invidual drills are when they're working on their own, and training is sparring, I believe.

I just enable all except sleeping, and let them work out.

Also, armor and weapon stands don't current store gears, dwarves will drop their stuff off there, but it won't be stored and instead get hauled off to stockpile. I don't bothers to let them unarmor while off-duty since I sticks to full-time professional military and it's less cluttery having them on all the time.

Captain Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: November 18, 2012, 10:05:26 am »

Don't they get nasty long patrol duty thoughts though? I guess mine are unhappy more because I made a barracks without enough bed and they had to sleep in the mud. Boo hoo. It doesn't make a difference if you assign a bedroom to be barracks (y) right?

Side note... why are my animals going missing and being found dead?

darknessofthenight

• Bay Watcher
  • cannibalism is complicated
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: November 18, 2012, 10:07:29 am »

odds are that there are to many of them per pasture and they are fighting and killing each other.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: November 18, 2012, 10:08:30 am »

Don't they get nasty long patrol duty thoughts though? I guess mine are unhappy more because I made a barracks without enough bed and they had to sleep in the mud. Boo hoo. It doesn't make a difference if you assign a bedroom to be barracks (y) right?

Side note... why are my animals going missing and being found dead?

They'll get long duty thoughts regardless of what you does until they're skilled enough, it's a bug. And yeah, having them sleep in mud gives them unhappy thought while enough beds, even just a dorm, makes sure they're not unhappy that way. Doesn't really have to assign sleeping barrack ( haven't used it personally ).

Are your animals grazers? They'll die without eating grass if they are.

Captain Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: November 18, 2012, 08:06:03 pm »

they are, maybe I'm not careful enough to assign them to the pasture outside. It was just odd because it said they went missing then found dead instead of such and such starved to death. I thought that was only for vampire things.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: November 18, 2012, 08:17:01 pm »

@Captain Man, Yeah.  CSI:Armok, it is a feature for tame animals to produce a report.  Why?  Dunno.  I don't care about my pets all that much when I have over 80 dorfs to handle.  Its how the game handles death, nowadays.  I think its sort of un-needed for tame animals.  Know what I mean?  We don't need a red alert.  Now dwarfs, okay, I get that, give me a red alert.  Obviously, DF is produced by a pet owners.

Kinda nice the unit list is divided into four tabs now.  Not in that old unwieldable list that was used in the older versions.  I'm hoping CSI:Armok gets modded out or fixed in future patches so I don't have to go down that dead/missing list and use DFhack a bunch of times to do a tweak clear-missing
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: November 19, 2012, 07:49:47 am »

According to the wiki and my personal experience water flow may push dwarves through vertical grates. Is this also true for horizontal grates or are those safe?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: November 19, 2012, 07:53:22 am »

According to the wiki and my personal experience water flow may push dwarves through vertical grates. Is this also true for horizontal grates or are those safe?

It's pretty much only appliable to fortification-like stuffs, so anything that goes through floor is safe, and IIRC, it'll also stop contaimants from going through.

ed: The contaimant thing's stopped by floor grate-like things, I means!

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: November 19, 2012, 08:54:12 pm »

Embarked with 30 plump helmet spawn. Built farm plot. Selected plump helmets for fall, winter, spring, and summer. Job just generates cancellation spam: "Farmer cancels plant seeds: Need plump helmet spawn." Stockpiles show "20?" plump helmet seeds.

W. T. F.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: November 19, 2012, 09:08:57 pm »

Common bug, farmers can't access seeds when they're being carried around by other farmers. One workaround is to forbid barrels in the seed stockpile.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3401 on: November 19, 2012, 09:10:01 pm »

It's a common problem and can be (mostly) solved by not allowing barrels in your seed stockpile. The problem is that when a dwarf now wants to plant a seed or grab a seed from an eaten plant he walks over and picks up the whole barrel, carrying it with him to where he wants to use it, and then takes it back. This means that if anybody else wants to use the seeds during that time they can't since he has them all. Disabling barrels makes them split them apart into bags then, which greatly cuts down on the number of times when all of the bags of a specific seed are being carried somewhere.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: November 19, 2012, 11:27:49 pm »

I have personally never seen anything non-liquid get pushed through a floor grate.

Even with (yes, really) 100 pumps pushing water or magma through it.

Rotinaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: November 20, 2012, 08:44:28 am »

Any idea why I can't use the screw press to make rock oil for soap? I have the rock paste stored and ready to be used, as well as empty jugs available, but the job at the screw press is still red. Am I missing a step? Does something need to be done to the paste after being milled?

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: November 20, 2012, 09:15:29 am »

Any idea why I can't use the screw press to make rock oil for soap? I have the rock paste stored and ready to be used, as well as empty jugs available, but the job at the screw press is still red. Am I missing a step? Does something need to be done to the paste after being milled?
Tried ordering it through manager? I've seen soapmaking and smelter have some issues with in-workshop orders.
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 422