Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881677 times)

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3360 on: November 13, 2012, 08:31:31 am »

what work can a dwarf with no arms do?

Anything that don't involves hauling or holding things, which means no workshop, but all noble positions ( excluding military ) should be doable. Engraving and smoothing should be too.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: November 13, 2012, 10:41:22 am »

what work can a dwarf with no arms do?
Engraving springs directly to mind.
LOL!
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: November 13, 2012, 04:27:50 pm »

When a female lays an egg in a nest box, does the male have to be alive at time of egg-laying, or at the time of hatching, for the eggs to be fertile? i.e,. Can I kill my turkey gobblers once the females have laid their eggs and still get turkey poults out of it?

Will a M flag(melt) still function, when an (item) is Dumped and then Unforbid, like with DFHack's Autodump?  Or must the M flag be reissued on each and every item, which was Dumped and then Unforbid?  Just curious, because these dorfs are getting a large backup in melt jobs, in this particular fortress.
My suggestion: Make a dump zone in a 3x3 room, surrounding a hole in the center of the room. The hole goes down to the z-level below, where a similar 3x3 room with a raising bridge serves to atom-smash any unwanted items. Make sure that is your only garbage dump. Have doors on both rooms. Designate everything you want to either dump or melt down for dumping (for example--disarming caged prisoners). When the dwarves have finished dumping your items, lock the door to the top room (this is important, or they'll find one last sock to throw down and crack their skulls!), and reclaim everything in the bottom room. Mass-designate all of it for dumping, then mass-designate all of it for melting. This will mark all the metal items for "Melt", and all the non-metal items for "Dump", but your dwarves won't dump the non-metal items because they can't get to the dump zone. Now you can melt everything down. Once your dwarves are done melting things down, you can atom-smash the rest.

To make this system safer or allow for more than one dump zone in your fortress, you can put the two rooms above each other one z-level apart and channel out the middle level between them. On the empty middle space, you put a retracting drawbridge and keep it retracted most of the time. That way you don't have to lock the top room when you sort your trash; instead, you pull the retracting bridge lever, so that all the dumped items land on the bridge on the middle level. When you do the designation, they will start getting things to melt or dump, and when they dump the non-metallic trash, it should land on the drawbridge on the second level. When the bottom level is empty, you're ready to atom-smash the trash that got dumped through the hole upstairs: Lock the bottom-level door, retract the bridge on the middle level, and lower the drawbridge on the third level. The non-metallic trash falls to the bottom level and you can pull the drawbridge lever so it gets atom-smashed. This does mean your dwarves will dump each non-metal item twice, but because the items are only about six steps from the dump zone for the second time, it doesn't take too much more work.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 04:34:44 pm by Callista »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: November 13, 2012, 04:59:53 pm »

When a female lays an egg in a nest box, does the male have to be alive at time of egg-laying, or at the time of hatching, for the eggs to be fertile? i.e,. Can I kill my turkey gobblers once the females have laid their eggs and still get turkey poults out of it?
At the time of the egg laying. But it's probably a good idea to keep around at least 1 male in case something bad happens to your batch of eggs.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: November 13, 2012, 05:24:33 pm »

Will a M flag(melt) still function, when an (item) is Dumped and then Unforbid, like with DFHack's Autodump?  Or must the M flag be reissued on each and every item, which was Dumped and then Unforbid?  Just curious, because these dorfs are getting a large backup in melt jobs, in this particular fortress.
My suggestion: Make a dump zone in a 3x3 room, surrounding a hole in the center of the room. The hole goes down to the z-level below, where a similar 3x3 room with a raising bridge serves to atom-smash any unwanted items. Make sure that is your only garbage dump. Have doors on both rooms. Designate everything you want to either dump or melt down for dumping (for example--disarming caged prisoners). When the dwarves have finished dumping your items, lock the door to the top room (this is important, or they'll find one last sock to throw down and crack their skulls!), and reclaim everything in the bottom room. Mass-designate all of it for dumping, then mass-designate all of it for melting. This will mark all the metal items for "Melt", and all the non-metal items for "Dump", but your dwarves won't dump the non-metal items because they can't get to the dump zone. Now you can melt everything down. Once your dwarves are done melting things down, you can atom-smash the rest.

To make this system safer or allow for more than one dump zone in your fortress, you can put the two rooms above each other one z-level apart and channel out the middle level between them. On the empty middle space, you put a retracting drawbridge and keep it retracted most of the time. That way you don't have to lock the top room when you sort your trash; instead, you pull the retracting bridge lever, so that all the dumped items land on the bridge on the middle level. When you do the designation, they will start getting things to melt or dump, and when they dump the non-metallic trash, it should land on the drawbridge on the second level. When the bottom level is empty, you're ready to atom-smash the trash that got dumped through the hole upstairs: Lock the bottom-level door, retract the bridge on the middle level, and lower the drawbridge on the third level. The non-metallic trash falls to the bottom level and you can pull the drawbridge lever so it gets atom-smashed. This does mean your dwarves will dump each non-metal item twice, but because the items are only about six steps from the dump zone for the second time, it doesn't take too much more work.

I'd like to stear away from atomsmashing, because I'd like to profit from the non-metal items.  I've kinda got a similar method, with the reliance of DFhack however.

I paint a FC2FCdump, then I paint a narrow column which includes all my stockpiles, this paint is an undump. FC2FCD.  Then I have been using Autodump.  This has the bonus of not forbidding the goods unable to be dumped residing in the workstations, and not moving anything that has already been placed into a stockpile, to prevent double haulage. 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: November 13, 2012, 06:48:18 pm »

No need to atom-smash them after you separate them, if you want to keep them. Same method can be used without the atom-smasher.

Re. eggs: How long until you know an egg isn't going to hatch? These giant python eggs are driving me up the wall. Had the elves bring one mate of the pair and then several years bring the other one... male dies of old age, but not before the female lays eggs. Oh, well, I've got forgotten beasts to kill; no harm in just leaving them there indefinitely just in case they hatch.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: November 13, 2012, 08:50:19 pm »

Re. eggs: How long until you know an egg isn't going to hatch? These giant python eggs are driving me up the wall. Had the elves bring one mate of the pair and then several years bring the other one... male dies of old age, but not before the female lays eggs. Oh, well, I've got forgotten beasts to kill; no harm in just leaving them there indefinitely just in case they hatch.
Pythons don't have the [CHILD:X] token, which means that without modding all eggs laid by both them and their giant variations will never hatch.

For creatures that do have [CHILD:X] tokens the safe time to wait to see if an egg is fertile is a year. After that you know they aren't fertile and can safely take them away.

Note: If you decide to mod the [CHILD:X] token back into pythons and their giant forms you may still be getting infertile batches of eggs. This is due to a weird case where the mother pythons "store" eggs inside them to lay, none of which are fertilized. It can be fixed by continuing to claim laid eggs until the mother python starts to wander the fortress. After a season or so she should return to the nest box and lay another batch, and that one should be fertile (assuming you have a male).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: November 15, 2012, 11:06:19 am »

Would this artifact dress, produce more happy thoughts if I put it on the mayor or the queen?

Rotinaj

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3368 on: November 15, 2012, 11:13:53 am »

Have birth rates been tweaked in the latest versions? My fort of 170 is pushing 50 babies, and that's not including the ones that we've lost to combat.

Uggh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: November 15, 2012, 12:16:18 pm »

Will soldiers learn the skill from a weapons demo if they use a different weapon based on the same skill, e.g. having a Great Axe but following a Battle Axe demonstration?

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: November 15, 2012, 12:35:19 pm »

Have birth rates been tweaked in the latest versions? My fort of 170 is pushing 50 babies, and that's not including the ones that we've lost to combat.

Yes.  They've gone up.  I don't think I'm alone when I say, I believe the population rate increase change was done for balance.  See CSI:Armok has increased the exsanguination murders drastically. 

Many people have stated, on here, that lowering the Population and Baby parameters, in d_init.txt, is a good way to control Lag in Fortress Mode.  Here's the numbers I am using.  Keep in mind, I roll with CSI:Armok off.  That is to say, Vampires, Werebeasts, Secrets set to 0 in worldgen.

[POPULATION_CAP:160]
[BABY_CHILD_CAP:25:250]
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 03:56:36 pm by knutor »

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: November 15, 2012, 01:06:13 pm »

Birth rate seems rather normal to me, it's migrations bringing a lot of kids in for me that makes it seems off for me.

At least I'm pretty sure mechanically the birth rate's not changed.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: November 15, 2012, 01:17:54 pm »

There's also the fact that families arrive, and not just individual dwarves.

So not only are you getting more children, but already married couples.  Which means babies down the road.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: November 15, 2012, 01:28:45 pm »

Will soldiers learn the skill from a weapons demo if they use a different weapon based on the same skill, e.g. having a Great Axe but following a Battle Axe demonstration?

They learn wpn skills from demonstrations? 

I thought they learned those from spar and combat.  And learned general stuff from demonstrations, like wrestling, striking, fighting, kicking and biting.  Interesting, I'll keep a look at my soldiers more closely to try and answer this better, for ya.  Sincerely, Knutor 

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: November 15, 2012, 01:35:57 pm »

They learn wpn skills from demonstrations? 

I thought they learned those from spar and combat.  And learned general stuff from demonstrations, like wrestling, striking, fighting, kicking and biting.  Interesting, I'll keep a look at my soldiers more closely to try and answer this better, for ya.  Sincerely, Knutor

IIRC they only learns and demonstrates weapons that uses same combat skill. I know I've seen my dwarves being taught how to use crossbow and hammer ( crossbow acts as both ) when it comes to weapons.
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 422