Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881512 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3240 on: October 16, 2012, 02:56:01 pm »

I frequently check the u menu, because I am paranoid about dealing with GCS.

Maybe they don't show up in u menu.  I see they have the [AMBUSHPREDATOR] ability.  Isn't that like hunter ambush, makes them invisible sorta.  *shrug*  Could be why they don't show up on u menu.  But I am not sure.  Shark Dentistry in spoiler.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 02:57:35 pm by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: October 16, 2012, 04:43:54 pm »

Maybe they don't show up in u menu.  I see they have the [AMBUSHPREDATOR] ability.  Isn't that like hunter ambush, makes them invisible sorta.  *shrug*  Could be why they don't show up on u menu.  But I am not sure.

Alright I will keep the [AMBUSHPREDATOR] in mind. But they also have [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_CHASM] And so far I am only in the Caverns below a Volcano. No Chasm found just yet. So we should be good for a bit while I finish setting up my fort before continuing to dig too deep.

Great information to have  :D

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: October 16, 2012, 07:07:42 pm »

Chasm = caverns. The chasms that the tag referred to in earlier versions don't exist any more.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Gashcozokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: October 17, 2012, 09:35:15 pm »

Chasm = caverns. The chasms that the tag referred to in earlier versions don't exist any more.

How very odd, I see from the wiki you are right, I could have sworn at least once while exploring the subterranean underground I had run into a small bottomless pit. Must have been my imagination.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: October 17, 2012, 09:45:46 pm »

How very odd, I see from the wiki you are right, I could have sworn at least once while exploring the subterranean underground I had run into a small bottomless pit. Must have been my imagination.

It is possible for passageways to connect two cavern layers, and the game will inform you when you find them. I forget the wording, but that may be what you were thinking of.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: October 18, 2012, 12:00:16 am »

Is this a new error here.  Let me explain some pregame highlights first, prior to the error/bug.  Error/Bug: The squad target clears(is dead), clearing Station order by itself, but not removing Station order from the squad menu, leaving gamer befuddled, as to what is going on.

I stationed two squads just inside Cavern 3, where lots of Forgotten Beasts were making uninvited visits.  Drop bridge and station them, melee infront of xbows.  20 troops total.  10 melee and 10 xbows.  First FB arrives breathing clouds of FB extract on everyone...  Ending in FB's death.  Rirnlorldeth is an artifact spear.  I had to edit the uniform to give him a specific weapon. NP.  However the dorf equiped it in wrong hand; so I had to edit a specific shield, to get him to rearrange things, correctly.  It looks like he did.

The Spearmaster stabs The Forgotten Beast in the upper body with his Rirnlroldeth, tearing the muscle and tearing the heart!
A major artery in the heart has been opened by the attack!
The Rirnlroldeth has lodged firmly in the wound!
The Spearmaster twists the embedded Rirnlroldeth around in The Forgotten Beast's upper body!

Now, instead of returning to where they were stationed, they proceeded to leave, almost all the melee dorfs left their station, no idea why...  To get boiling extract off themselves, maybe?  Dunno.  Station order still exists, in Squad menu for both squads, melee and ranged.  But almost all the melee leave their station.  There is no season change.  Keep in mind the Station order is STILL there, but the dorfs are acting as tho they are done doing their job, akin to killing the last enemy in a rectangular painted kill order, and going back to... whatever.

Next FB shows up.  Things get ugly really fast, no meat shields for the ranged squad's protection.  And half of them have abandoned their post/station, aswell.  This one is a web shooter.  We down it, but my goodness casualties all over the place.

I'm noticing Interruptions in the log, and I don't know why.  I never relinquished the station order, so why are the military going onto CIV jobs?  Instead of having militia fighting this FB, I have off duty Cheesemakers, Furnace Operators, etc..

The Forgotten Beast pushes The Furnace Operator in the head, bruising the muscle, jamming the skull through the brain and tearing apart the brain!
The Furnace Operator has been knocked unconscious!
Asmel Sigunnam…, Furnace Operator has been struck down.

Fortunately, a lucky spine seperating bolt hit home, in the early stages of this messed up fight, and that stopped his movement.  Allowing the rest of the webbed marksdwarfs to plink him down.  But what bothers me, is during the first FB fight, these guys were refered to as MIL titles.  Then after no change on my side, they became CIV titles.   :o  I'm thinking there is a target cleared, squad reassignment issue here.  Anyone see this before?
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: October 18, 2012, 03:52:45 pm »

The string dump has "You have discovered a deep pit.". It's been a while since I've seen one, but if I recall correctly sometimes you can get open pits (like empty magma pipes / pools) connecting two cavern levels.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: October 19, 2012, 08:55:56 am »

while exploring the subterranean underground I had run into a small bottomless pit.
"You have discovered a deep pit.". ...connecting two cavern levels.
Deep pits are only substructural anomalies.  Breached caverns or connections don't appear with them.  That's another msg, cannot think of it, however.  Oh its on the tip of my tongue too.  UGG!

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: October 19, 2012, 08:58:13 am »

Downward passage might be what you guys are looking for.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: October 19, 2012, 09:38:35 am »

Downward passage might be what you guys are looking for.
Yupper.  Downward passage. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I always thought when I hit a Deep Pit, it should contain something unique, like a nest of Gargoyles or another, some such, entity of malice and extreme prejudice of forethought known only to occupy Pits or Arenas.

Shame they softened up the image for kiddies, when they went mainstream.  Some of the original artwork in Magic were terrifyingly spooky.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3250 on: October 19, 2012, 12:50:14 pm »

Second opinion requested.  Is it a bug? 

Bug: The Depot access and Carts, if while in series, works as prescribed most of the time.  But in this oddball case, it fails. 

I have a 3x3 field of hatches along the paved Cart path, and the instant, and I mean, the very instant, that the Human merchants arrive, some dorf, lets call Urist, decides to open one of those 9 hatches to break wind...  And while at the same time breaking, the previously unobstructed access to the region's fringe.  Right when it shouldn't be broken. 

I've had this happen twice now, and while its amusing, its a wee-bit frustrating seeing the Carts pass on by, because of an ill timed peekaboo.  I'd sooner the Cart run over Urist, beard and all, than have them bypass my region, because a hatch.  Sincerely, Knutor

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: October 19, 2012, 03:34:55 pm »

Now, instead of returning to where they were stationed, they proceeded to leave, almost all the melee dorfs left their station, no idea why...  To get boiling extract off themselves, maybe?  Dunno.

Well, what were the dwarves' jobs?  Most likely they were exhausted or thirsty or hungry, and left to sleep/drink/eat.

Next FB shows up.  Things get ugly really fast, no meat shields for the ranged squad's protection.  And half of them have abandoned their post/station, aswell.

In addition to exhaustion, thirst and hunger, marksdwarves will also leave their station to get more ammo, when there is no enemy directly in sight.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: October 19, 2012, 09:06:05 pm »

That's just it..  They were stationed.  Melee first, Range second.  I hadn't given them another order.. since those two station orders.  Exhausted, thristy, and hungry, isn't enough is it, to break a station order for them all, nor is it enough to make them switch icon and switch combat scroll titles, is it?  I mean if it is, then I guess the point I'm making isn't much of a point. 

I thought they held station, forever.  I can tell you this, none, except for maybe 1, was experiencing thirst or hunger.  One was blinking red cross, for a diagnosis, prior to the first FB.  Why then did they leave the area, if I never ordered them to stand down? 

My guess is Toady's new squad target clearing procedure, which is fine, in kill orders, however this time it wasn't a kill order, it was a station order.  Not sure if I want my squads standing down from a station orders.  Kill orders, fine..  Sure, those okay, when last bugger is slain, stand down. 

But station is different.  I'm using a choke point, like the Spartans in 300 vs procedural enemies.  This maybe the issue, I dunno.  I know it wasn't a physical necessity that drove them to break the orders, and change to the Civilian icon.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: October 20, 2012, 12:18:23 am »

Bug: The Depot access and Carts, if while in series, works as prescribed most of the time.  But in this oddball case, it fails. 

Sorry to quote myself.  Just adding some SCIENCE to this conundrum.  I had forgot to lower the drawbridge, to allow the Merchant Cart to leave.  Oddly, they hadn't an issue with peekaboo-ing Hatch dwarfs, on their way out.  As a matter of fact, they parked right over 2/3 of the 9 hatches, and dwarfs came and went, right through the Cart, as if it wasn't even there.  Yet it was parked right overtop of them.  So this begs to assume, that the skipping Carts as a result of a wrongly timed hatch openning, is infact a Bug.  Its no problem when they park over the Hatch waiting for the drawbridge to lower after trading, so why is it a problem, beforehand? 

Guess I better report it, over there on the reports.  Doesn't appear Toady is working on Fortress stuff.  From his notes today, it would appear the focus is all Adventure mode, orange and apple picking these days.  We never see anything in the updates about Fortress play... *sigh*

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: October 20, 2012, 01:05:54 am »

That's just it..  They were stationed.  Melee first, Range second.  I hadn't given them another order.. since those two station orders.  Exhausted, thristy, and hungry, isn't enough is it, to break a station order for them all, nor is it enough to make them switch icon and switch combat scroll titles, is it?  I mean if it is, then I guess the point I'm making isn't much of a point. 

I thought they held station, forever.  I can tell you this, none, except for maybe 1, was experiencing thirst or hunger.  One was blinking red cross, for a diagnosis, prior to the first FB.  Why then did they leave the area, if I never ordered them to stand down? 

My guess is Toady's new squad target clearing procedure, which is fine, in kill orders, however this time it wasn't a kill order, it was a station order.  Not sure if I want my squads standing down from a station orders.  Kill orders, fine..  Sure, those okay, when last bugger is slain, stand down. 

But station is different.  I'm using a choke point, like the Spartans in 300 vs procedural enemies.  This maybe the issue, I dunno.  I know it wasn't a physical necessity that drove them to break the orders, and change to the Civilian icon.

I've seen entire squads wander off to get food and drink after a long station, but no, I'm prettty certain that they don't change titles or drop out of soldier status ever when this happens.  I'd chalk it up as a bug, I've never seen such a thing or heard of such a bug before though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 422