Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881426 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3210 on: October 13, 2012, 01:23:54 pm »

I think many players would prefer to buy one, and have the option, via popup or whatever, to increase the quantity, rather than be forced to purchase five of exactly the same sex.  Then be forced to redact um.
Are these cave lobsters / fishes near the bottom of the trade list, with the meat and cheese, or near the top, with the cages and pets?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

UncleSporky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3211 on: October 13, 2012, 03:29:06 pm »

Is there any reason not to put a well above a swimming pool?  Will the dwarves contaminate it or something?

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3212 on: October 13, 2012, 04:00:09 pm »

I've never actually attempted it, but from what I understand wells can transfer contaminants.  I believe people have induced vampirism this way, by bleeding a vampire in a well.  The other dwarves drank the blood later and became vampires too.

Assuming that's true, then this could potentially spread contaminants such as forgotten beast syndromes.  I don't think ordinary blood in the pool will matter in any way though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3213 on: October 13, 2012, 04:19:41 pm »

I think many players would prefer to buy one, and have the option, via popup or whatever, to increase the quantity, rather than be forced to purchase five of exactly the same sex.  Then be forced to redact um.
Are these cave lobsters / fishes near the bottom of the trade list, with the meat and cheese, or near the top, with the cages and pets?
Bottom of list, down by splints and crutches.  It says we get x5 in Toady's new Popup, but only shows us the first one's sex symbol...  Unless its assumed, that all five are the same sex, which I find an uncomfortably way of packaging unprepared meat, don't you?  The sex shouldn't be there, or matter;  hell, we cannot breed them!
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3214 on: October 13, 2012, 04:22:35 pm »

What exactly are the rules governing how many staircases you can build on the same tile? After going down about 4 z-levels, the miners will ignore further orders to build down staircases, unless I shift them over one tile.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3215 on: October 13, 2012, 04:29:15 pm »

build down staircases
Are you building associating up staircases and up/down staircases?  I'm not sure I ever had this happen. 

I've had ramp issues.  Mainly, I get the up and down symbols backwards and mixed up.

Did you maybe run out of rocks, from which the mason can build the steps?  I've had that happen, a lot.  I use a piece of wood and employ the carpenter, in the interim, and rip it out after the mason can get down.  All works out, when the Mason gets deep enough to find, or reach more rock.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3216 on: October 13, 2012, 04:40:14 pm »

I'm building down staircases, and then up staircases on the z level beneath. They mine em out for 4 z-levels or so and then ignore further orders for that column. It's very strange.

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3217 on: October 13, 2012, 07:58:41 pm »

I'm building down staircases, and then up staircases on the z level beneath. They mine em out for 4 z-levels or so and then ignore further orders for that column. It's very strange.

Not sure if this will help your problem, but when this happens to me I just re-designate in the same spot.  That's usually enough "remind" the game to generate the job.  (Similar to how you can quickly forbid-unforbid an item lying inexplicably on the ground to prod your dwarves to pick it up and place it where it needs to go.)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3218 on: October 13, 2012, 11:20:39 pm »

Interesting.  The way I have always pictured it, is... down stair on top z-level, then in middle z-levels, however many there are, up/down stairs, then at the very bottom z-level, an up stair.

I've never tried down, up, (ceiling), down, up, etc..  Seems to me, that there would be a ceiling in that series, somewhere, that way. *scratch head*  We can't build an up and a down overtop the same 1x1.

Are you sure your not talking about ramps?  Ramps must go downwards, beside each other and not in a tube, like stairs go downwards.  Stairs go downwards one overtop the other. 

Channel is the downward ramp when digging. 

The differences with up and down stairs, is with an up stair, it has a floor.  With a down stair, it has a ceiling.  And with an up/down stair, it has not got a floor or a ceiling. 

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3219 on: October 13, 2012, 11:27:03 pm »

Incidently, are you possibly refering to painting over multiple z-levels, with up/down stairs?  I always tend to make the first dig down with a 3x3 downward stair on 0 level, then on 1-25, I go with up/down stairs, and it progresses, the whole way down, until a cavern breach, water, or magma is hit.  I know they will dig deeper than 4 levels, with up/down stairs. 

Try using up/down stairs more often, instead of topping off each, or using pairs of up and down throughout, it might help with things.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3220 on: October 14, 2012, 01:05:40 am »

So, I've read a bit on how cabinets may do nothing but cause trouble in .34.11.  After the clothing fixes from Toady, dwarves who drop their clothes will eventually be removed as the owner of those clothes.  After a few game days, I think.  That seems to work just fine.

However, I've been periodically marking xclothingx for dumping via the stocks menu, but I've noticed that large amounts are still hanging around without being dumped, some eventually making it to XXclothingXX before rotting away.  Some never seem to rot away though, and I think they're being stored in cabinets.

Do items stored in cabinets not lose ownership?  I'm trying to recover some FPS, and destroying old clothing is my current priority there.

Also, does anyone know what the rules are for picking up new clothes?  I see dwarves wandering around with xclothingx, or even XclothingX, when there are replacements available in a stockpile, which are not forbidden, nor are there any burrows.  I had to even put one in a squad to get her to pick up pants before she went insane.  I had maybe 20 pairs sitting around.

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3221 on: October 14, 2012, 01:22:36 am »

So, I've read a bit on how cabinets may do nothing but cause trouble in .34.11.  After the clothing fixes from Toady, dwarves who drop their clothes will eventually be removed as the owner of those clothes.  After a few game days, I think.  That seems to work just fine.

However, I've been periodically marking xclothingx for dumping via the stocks menu, but I've noticed that large amounts are still hanging around without being dumped, some eventually making it to XXclothingXX before rotting away.  Some never seem to rot away though, and I think they're being stored in cabinets.

Do items stored in cabinets not lose ownership?  I'm trying to recover some FPS, and destroying old clothing is my current priority there.

Also, does anyone know what the rules are for picking up new clothes?  I see dwarves wandering around with xclothingx, or even XclothingX, when there are replacements available in a stockpile, which are not forbidden, nor are there any burrows.  I had to even put one in a squad to get her to pick up pants before she went insane.  I had maybe 20 pairs sitting around.

Pretty sure items in cabinets do NOT lose ownership.  I've deconstructed a cabinet with (iirc) 64 items of clothing in it from one (unmarried) dwarf.

Personally, I think clothing is just fucked up beyond all belief right now, and I only allow my miner/wood-cutter and children (the few I permit in the fortress) to own clothing whatsoever.  Everyone else is put into a squad and assigned a uniform.  Non-dwarf races get no clothing at all, and the dwarven race only three articles of clothing (one for each nakedness-inspiring body part).  The rest of the non-armor clothing gets modded out of existence.

EDIT: As for your second question, I think only arm ok knows the answer.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2012, 01:28:00 am by Blucher »

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3222 on: October 14, 2012, 01:30:52 am »

I feared as much.  :(  Well, I'll have to consider whether or not to deconstruct the 70 cabinets in my fort, or just live with the items accumulating in there.  For my next fort I'll just have to figure out a better thing to give everyone to help spice up their home.  Another chest maybe.

Funny that you should mention non-dwarf races getting no clothing.  I was stretching the truth a bit when I said I was using dwarves, for simplicity.  This is actually a mod, but I was under the impression that the clothing thoughts were hard coded and even modded races needed clothes.

In any case, I do the same as much as I can.  Only the bare minimum for those who aren't soldiers, and I put as many into squads as I realistically can.

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3223 on: October 14, 2012, 01:46:11 am »

Funny that you should mention non-dwarf races getting no clothing.  I was stretching the truth a bit when I said I was using dwarves, for simplicity.  This is actually a mod, but I was under the impression that the clothing thoughts were hard coded and even modded races needed clothes.

That might be true.  I've never played a non-dwarf game.

humblegar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3224 on: October 14, 2012, 09:35:49 am »

Any advice on how to deal with annoying flooding like this? Often happens when I remove walls from ponds. I tried adding some walls with dfhack but it still floods, anyone want to tell me exactly how this works and if i can do anything about it? It freezes during winter.

Image (yeah ugliest fort by far, but I like it for some weird reason)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 213 214 [215] 216 217 ... 422