Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881373 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3150 on: September 29, 2012, 10:23:02 pm »

From the corpse wt of a dragon can its age be determined?!?  This slain dragon has a weight of 10478Г.  When more are slain, I'll report some more weights, if anyone  thinks research would be fruitful.  We should have a good many dragons in this 33x33 world,  200 megabeasts divided by 3.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Gobolinno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3151 on: September 29, 2012, 10:26:30 pm »

You can make a backup (copy) of the world in another folder, enter the copy world, abandon the fortress, review the dragon in Legends mode and go back to your original world. =)

Question: ¿Can a child come to a fortress without parents?

I had this one:

Goden Mirrorplane was a female dwarf born in 124 and died in 139 (Bled) by the dwarf Bembul Mirrorraw, in The rampage of UNKNOWN BEAST in Abbeyroad.
Caste: Female
Type: Child
Active Interactions: DEITY_CURSE_WEREBEAST_12_BITE

Whose parents never were not even near the fortress. O.O

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3152 on: September 29, 2012, 11:09:23 pm »

is it possible to get rid of the mud all over my walls?
Accidents involving irrigation, well and water pressure has left my entrance hall covered in mud

If the entrace is rough stone, then smoothing it (or engraving it) might work. If it's soil, then I have no idea what you can do. Worst case scenario, you could mine it out and build constructed walls and floors.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3153 on: September 29, 2012, 11:19:26 pm »

is it possible to get rid of the mud all over my walls?
Accidents involving irrigation, well and water pressure has left my entrance hall covered in mud
When dwarves clean floor tiles they also clean any adjacent wall tiles. You can set up meeting area zones to make dwarves more likely to clean.

Spleenling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3154 on: September 30, 2012, 02:12:42 am »

My walls are engraved Stone Mostly i keep getting messages about plants ruining the engravings

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #3155 on: September 30, 2012, 06:51:38 am »

I have an outdoor pen for my cows and other grazers. But every now and then I have a siege on my hands, so I deactivate the pens and slaughter a few animals. The cows are then wandering into my legendary dining hall (without dwarven attendance), where they stay during the siege, until I let them out again. After the siege, it seems like some of them just walk back by themselves, others wait for some dwarf to guide them to their pen (??).

Unfortunately, every time a siege is over , and after about a week, I get the message: Stray cow starved to death. In my dining room (or in some other place designated as meeting hall). I tried to designate the trade depot (right inside the entrance) as a meeting hall, but they still die in my dining room (located on the fifth floor).

Question: What are you guys doing to prevent this from happening?

Bonus question: How many tiles of cave moss goes to one cow?
DF: where imagination beats animation

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3156 on: September 30, 2012, 07:56:11 am »

Underground pastures! Dig out a few rooms in the soil layer and they should fill up with cave moss. Or pasture the grazers in the caverns (wall some parts off if you have enough meat).
Cows need as much cave moss as they need grass, which is a lot. The wiki has a nice list. Apparently, one cow needs a 14x14 pasture.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3157 on: September 30, 2012, 09:24:21 am »

If you don't breach the caverns, does the game actually simulate them?  I've intentionally gone 10 game years without breaching the caverns.  If I do so now, am I likely to encounter 15 forgotten beasts?

I'm not getting very many surface megabeasts (had 3 so far), so that tells me that the game doesn't just decide that a megabeast would show up, then decide if it should make it a forgotten beast or not based on if you've breached the caverns or not.  If that's how it works it must dramatically lower the megabeast rate in the first place.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3158 on: September 30, 2012, 10:06:58 am »

If you don't breach the caverns, does the game actually simulate them?  I've intentionally gone 10 game years without breaching the caverns.  If I do so now, am I likely to encounter 15 forgotten beasts?

I'm not getting very many surface megabeasts (had 3 so far), so that tells me that the game doesn't just decide that a megabeast would show up, then decide if it should make it a forgotten beast or not based on if you've breached the caverns or not.  If that's how it works it must dramatically lower the megabeast rate in the first place.

AFAIK FBs can start to show up upon discovering a cavern, even if there is no path to your fort. In most worlds there are likely to be more FBs than MBs, if you do not drastically raise the number of MBs in advanced world gen most MBs will get killed over time while FBs will not. It is possible that there are several FBs in your caverns, but if you have not discovered the caverns yet, there are probably none.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3159 on: September 30, 2012, 11:38:49 am »

If that's how it works it must dramatically lower the megabeast rate in the first place.
Oh mercy, don't decrease that, its one of the tried and true Fun aspects of DF that has been around for awhile.  If anything bump megabeasts and semimegabeasts up to the hundreds and thousands, respectfully, in advanced worldgen. 

I seldom breach a cavern wall, like you.   But I enjoy lots of topside activity with so much megafauna in the world.  Do forgottens even constitute megafauna?  *shrug*

I smooth and fortify(murder hole) a leak into the three caverns.  Try that.  :o  The cracks in fortify seems to provide spores safely into a fortress, unless I'm mistakenly getting it from somewhere else.   ;D

We get zero subterranean water life any longer thru a murder hole/leaks.  I don't even know if we get it normally in the underground lakes.  Haven't fished one of those in a dozen embarks or so.

@vondus, I butcher the bejeebus out of anything that grazes, whether fully grown or small in status.  Tame animals go to meeting areas, and mingle.  Not sure why they don't go to where the food is if unobstructed, like real tame animals tend to do.  They must die waiting for the dinner bell.   :)

Way I avoid it, is to wall them in with brick or block, or slice down the ramps up to a highland knoll, they also makes a nice natural wall.  This keeps them safe, somewhat, so that I wouldn't have to unpen them.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3160 on: September 30, 2012, 11:47:46 am »

Hmm, that makes sense I suppose.  The game doesn't just decide a megabeast shows up, then decides if it's a titan or FB.  It probably does the checks for either separately (and FBs only if the caverns have been breached), and suppresses the other if you've already had one recently.  Something like that.

Anyway, my FPS has been slowly decreasing over time (a drop of around 10% over the past game year), so I was wondering if it was possibly due to lots of cavern critters hanging around since I haven't been in there to clear them out.  Perhaps I'll check anyway, since I hopefully won't get swamped by 10 dusting monsters.  It's probably not the major source of FPS drain, and opening the caverns may make that worse though...

Oh mercy, don't decrease that, its one of the tried and true Fun aspects of DF that has been around for awhile.  If anything bump megabeasts and semimegabeasts up to the hundreds and thousands, respectfully, in advanced worldgen. 

Oh, no, no, I was saying that if the game did simply make megabeast checks and decide if it was a titan or FB, then it must have been increasing the rate after you breached the caverns because FBs are so much more common than titans and other above ground megabeasts.  I'm not advocating decreasing that at all.  :)

The other explanation makes more sense as a whole though.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3161 on: September 30, 2012, 02:07:58 pm »

@Telgin,
Lag fighting tip: When the mountainhome comes to trade, and it appears they didn't bring any FRIENDS(Siege, OMG! Noooo!)  If no siege follows the caravan, then do this...  Corner to far corner, multi z-level reclaim.  C2FC-MLR  Paint a big fat ass reclaim. 

Then go directly into Depot and haul all those spent bolts back to trade, start with the nearest ones.  Say out to 70-80 steps.  Then watch the dorfs vaccuum-up the region.  Not a good tip if the outside is hostile, however.  Maybe try DFHack which I hear has stuff to delete errant items laying about.

Question: [11.34]Where can I exchange this a frozen rotten mucus coin for a gold coin?  Lol!  Look at all the coin types, in your coin stockpile material catagory.  From within the stockpile menu, Arrow over & up, above iron for a good laugh.  :P

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3162 on: September 30, 2012, 04:01:25 pm »

Does EVERY kind of "evil" biome always have the Curse of Undeath that makes it impossible to kill anything on it?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3163 on: September 30, 2012, 04:58:01 pm »

I've been having a recurring problem with flies. They quickly appear near my farms and occasionally near my food stockpiles. I am careful to have enough food hauling that crops don't sit out long, and I always have my food in barrels.
I believe that flies and other swarming vermin are less common in stone layers, but I might be wrong. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about swarms beyond not leaving food out, since they can't be killed by cats or peregrine falcons.

Does EVERY kind of "evil" biome always have the Curse of Undeath that makes it impossible to kill anything on it?
Not all of them, no.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3164 on: September 30, 2012, 05:44:52 pm »

I've been having a recurring problem with flies. They quickly appear near my farms and occasionally near my food stockpiles. I am careful to have enough food hauling that crops don't sit out long, and I always have my food in barrels.
I believe that flies and other swarming vermin are less common in stone layers, but I might be wrong. Unfortunately there's nothing you can do about swarms beyond not leaving food out, since they can't be killed by cats or peregrine falcons.

Not all of them, no.

Time to do SCIENCE and find out if this is one of those regions!
Pages: 1 ... 209 210 [211] 212 213 ... 422