Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881380 times)

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #3135 on: September 27, 2012, 10:05:31 pm »

A question about nest boxes: I have my turkeys pastured outside my fort. If I build the nest boxes inside my fort (outside of their pasture), will they leave the pasture to lay their eggs? Or must I build the nest boxes within their pasture in order for the turkeys to access them?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3136 on: September 27, 2012, 10:15:10 pm »

A question about nest boxes: I have my turkeys pastured outside my fort. If I build the nest boxes inside my fort (outside of their pasture), will they leave the pasture to lay their eggs? Or must I build the nest boxes within their pasture in order for the turkeys to access them?
They will not leave the pasture; either move the nest boxes to the pasture or move the pasture to the nest boxes.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3137 on: September 27, 2012, 10:52:28 pm »

Only the females need be the nest boxes.  The males can tag along with dwarfs as pets, be penned in a zoo, or butchered.  Tho after butchering, eggs won't appear.  Their vicinity is irrelevant to the females egg production on the nest boxes.  Also, a female will find a nest box, on her own, if they are accessible.  An activity zone pen, is not needed.  However it is nice to have em penned up, should controlling their various locations become a lag generating issue. 

I tend to eat the entire flock, as soon as young are hatched.  Then proceed to stuff the young in a cage, until they grow up.  To prevent unnecessary lag. 
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3138 on: September 28, 2012, 08:46:44 am »

Only the females need be the nest boxes.  The males can tag along with dwarfs as pets, be penned in a zoo, or butchered.  Tho after butchering, eggs won't appear.  Their vicinity is irrelevant to the females egg production on the nest boxes.
That's not exactly true. Female birds will always lay eggs if they can find a next box. Male birds are needed for fertilizing the eggs. They can do that if there is a path to the nest boxes, but they don't actually have to be near the female.
So, correct is: The males' existence and their vicinity is irrelevant to the females' egg production on the nest boxes. The males' existence is relevant to the females' chick production.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3139 on: September 28, 2012, 02:50:24 pm »

Thanks Trif, for the corrections.  I get tangled up in type. 

Ya know, I guess we wanna have lots of nest boxes.  And lots of cages to put offspring into.  After my male chicks grow, I sometimes don't even bother releasing them out of the cage.  The dwarfs will take them right to the weener mill from the cage. 

In this, way its nice.  I don't need a lever or an Pen activation zone.  But I usually setup a Pen anyway, even tho the hatched offspring, don't pen themselves, like other offspring do.  Its nice to have some order, to the peep madness.  I guess. 

I wish the dwarfs would mass pit, enemies from cages, like they butcher roosters.  With a simple command from the stock list.  Execute.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3140 on: September 28, 2012, 05:57:13 pm »

And lots of cages to put offspring into.

You can put them all into a single cage if you want.

(Unless you're doing something like keeping each year's hatchlings in a different cage so you can release them when they reach a certain age....)
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

starshard0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3141 on: September 28, 2012, 08:53:03 pm »

Two questions that just came up in my fortress.

1. Generally when people give armor recommendations, it's just the basics. Breastplate, helm, greaves, etc. What I want to know, is what is the absolute most armored up a dwarf can be?

2. My stupid doctors love using candy thread to patch up injuries. When my injured dwarves eventually succumb to infection and die, will the threads be recoverable?

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3142 on: September 28, 2012, 09:32:43 pm »

2. My stupid doctors love using candy thread to patch up injuries. When my injured dwarves eventually succumb to infection and die, will the threads be recoverable?
No, I don't think so.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #3143 on: September 29, 2012, 05:49:30 am »

1. Generally when people give armor recommendations, it's just the basics. Breastplate, helm, greaves, etc. What I want to know, is what is the absolute most armored up a dwarf can be?
The wiki can help you there. But be aware: As long as they aren't legendary armor users, dwarfs will move very slowly in the maximum armor.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3144 on: September 29, 2012, 11:43:18 am »

And to add to that, until the next release anyway, that also affects their attack speed.  So a dwarf running around in leather pants under greaves and mail shirts under a breasplate with cloaks and hoods layered on top of all of it is going to get attacked a lot more than he attacks unless his strength is extremely high or his armor user skill is very high.

He'll probably mitigate most hits from the armor and quickly skill up in armor user, but expect to lose recruits to cheap shots to the head because of this.  Also don't expect most of your soldiers to be able to rush out and save anyone if they get ambushed.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3145 on: September 29, 2012, 11:43:35 am »

And to add to that, until the next release anyway, that also affects their attack speed.  So a dwarf running around in leather pants under greaves and mail shirts under a breasplate with cloaks and hoods layered on top of all of it is going to get attacked a lot more than he attacks unless his strength is extremely high or his armor user skill is very high.

He'll probably mitigate most hits from the armor and quickly skill up in armor user, but expect to lose recruits to cheap shots to the head because of this.  Also don't expect most of your soldiers to be able to rush out and save anyone if they get ambushed.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3146 on: September 29, 2012, 12:00:54 pm »

Did anyone do !!science!! on Forgotten Beast reanimation? Is it possible? If yes, is it possible for inogranic ones too? Do they keep their syndromes?
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3147 on: September 29, 2012, 08:32:39 pm »

Is there any real effect of playing as a civ that doesn't have a capital?

Ploder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3148 on: September 29, 2012, 09:21:54 pm »

I've been having a recurring problem with flies. They quickly appear near my farms and occasionally near my food stockpiles. I am careful to have enough food hauling that crops don't sit out long, and I always have my food in barrels.

What's the best way to prevent this pest problem? What's the best way to treat the problem once it begins?

Spleenling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3149 on: September 29, 2012, 09:39:17 pm »

is it possible to get rid of the mud all over my walls?
Accidents involving irrigation, well and water pressure has left my entrance hall covered in mud
Pages: 1 ... 208 209 [210] 211 212 ... 422