Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880941 times)

wuphonsreach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2865 on: August 15, 2012, 08:32:29 pm »

Is it possible to build wells on top of each other, drawing from the same shaft?

Yes, it seems to work just fine.  I typically stack 2-3 well rooms on top of each other over my cisterns.

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: August 15, 2012, 11:08:46 pm »

Is it possible to build wells on top of each other, drawing from the same shaft?

Yes, it seems to work just fine.  I typically stack 2-3 well rooms on top of each other over my cisterns.

Thanks - I'm drawing from one of my caverns, myself.

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: August 16, 2012, 05:30:35 am »

I embarked near a freshwater lake and created a huge fishing zone, however it says 0 for fishing despite me being able to see vermin fish in the lake, why is that? Murky pools work fine though.
The fishing zone is located at a coast while vermin class lungfish are spawning at deeper waters but i don't think that's it.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: August 16, 2012, 05:40:25 am »

You need to place the fishing zone on a ground tile next to the lake, not in the water.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: August 16, 2012, 05:58:46 am »

You need to place the fishing zone on a ground tile next to the lake, not in the water.

The fishing zone is located at a coast

I made a huge square zone that encompasses land, water and coast.

Millyrainbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: August 16, 2012, 06:21:58 am »

Does coke/charcoal take time to 'cook' in the smelters?
I have over 100 coke bars, but when i go to the stocks menu and view it, it says its still in the smelter, and because of this, i believe that it isnt reading my coke bars as actually there, and thus refuses to let me craft metal weapons and such.

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2871 on: August 16, 2012, 06:43:43 am »

I have a 2-dwarf crossbow squad whose job says "go to archery practice" but they are just standing in place paralyzed why is that? Oh and before you ask i have quivers, barracks, archery ranges, ammo (250 bolts set to training) and all that jazz.

Millyrainbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: August 16, 2012, 06:59:42 am »

Are you sure the bolts that are in their quivers are not Combat Only?

Edit: never mind xD i missed that part.
I think i remember reading up that there may be a min/max limit to the amount of dwarves thats needed for training. Maybe you havent set the training for 2, as its default is 10
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 07:02:32 am by Millyrainbow »

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: August 16, 2012, 07:22:53 am »

So i was peeking about in the wiki, and came across this. It was one of the recommended ways to explore caverns, but i just cant wrap my mind around it xD The way its put, makes it seem that you would carve fortifications near the edge of the vision, but i dont see how this would keep things out unless you were digging around the outside of the cavern, and fortifying the walls. Am i missing something?

Source of confusion:
Fortifications: as dwarves can see through fortifications, you can carve out a fortification near the edge of the explored area to safely discover more of the cavern. This prevents wildlife and megabeasts from entering your fort, as an added benefit. This method does not work for exploring the magma layers - or rather, it does work, but for a very, very brief time during which there is much fun.
Fortifications act as small windows; while you can see through 'em, the only thing that gets through are projectiles. I'm not sure if the same holds true if the fortification is submerged.
Magma and other liquids can flow through fortifications.

Items and even enemies knocked airborne by bridges can get through fortifications. An animated goblin corpse did it in my fortress just today.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Millyrainbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: August 16, 2012, 07:31:37 am »

So i was peeking about in the wiki, and came across this. It was one of the recommended ways to explore caverns, but i just cant wrap my mind around it xD The way its put, makes it seem that you would carve fortifications near the edge of the vision, but i dont see how this would keep things out unless you were digging around the outside of the cavern, and fortifying the walls. Am i missing something?

Source of confusion:
Fortifications: as dwarves can see through fortifications, you can carve out a fortification near the edge of the explored area to safely discover more of the cavern. This prevents wildlife and megabeasts from entering your fort, as an added benefit. This method does not work for exploring the magma layers - or rather, it does work, but for a very, very brief time during which there is much fun.
Fortifications act as small windows; while you can see through 'em, the only thing that gets through are projectiles. I'm not sure if the same holds true if the fortification is submerged.
Magma and other liquids can flow through fortifications.

Items and even enemies knocked airborne by bridges can get through fortifications. An animated goblin corpse did it in my fortress just today.
How tall was the fortification?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2875 on: August 16, 2012, 07:52:20 am »

It doesn't matter how tall the fortification was - airborne units are treated as projectiles and thus behave exactly as crossbow bolts do: they fly through fortifications.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2876 on: August 16, 2012, 09:40:59 am »

So i put the archer squad on "no scheduled order" that is they are civilians now and they are practicing archery all around the place, weird.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2877 on: August 16, 2012, 11:17:05 am »

So i put the archer squad on "no scheduled order" that is they are civilians now and they are practicing archery all around the place, weird.
Dwarves in the military will still train when not active, just not as often because they will do civilian jobs.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2878 on: August 16, 2012, 01:17:06 pm »

I have over 100 coke bars, but when i go to the stocks menu and view it, it says its still in the smelter, and because of this, i believe that it isnt reading my coke bars as actually there, and thus refuses to let me craft metal weapons and such.
You could say that it takes time to cook because it takes time for the dwarf to do the job, but once the bars of coke are produced they're ready for use.

1. Do you have a stockpile for coke? If you don't, or it's full, the bars of coke will remain in the smelter building.
2. Are your forges set to take from specific metal stockpiles? When you set a stockpile to give to a workshop, the workshop will start taking only from stockpiles that have been linked to it.
3. What cancellation message do you get if you assign a forging job via the manager?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2879 on: August 16, 2012, 02:55:21 pm »

I have a 2-dwarf crossbow squad whose job says "go to archery practice" but they are just standing in place paralyzed why is that? Oh and before you ask i have quivers, barracks, archery ranges, ammo (250 bolts set to training) and all that jazz.

it's a known bug though it wasn't clear what caused it last I heard. Disabling all their labors and deactivating the squad will make them train as long as bolts are available and they are "idle"

It's also reported to be gone over time
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.
Pages: 1 ... 190 191 [192] 193 194 ... 422