Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880895 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2850 on: August 15, 2012, 06:04:39 am »

My military dwarfs have all their skills turned off when they return to civilian service. Is this normal? Is it maybe because they are weaponmasters?
It's a holdover back from when dwarves that became weaponmasters never would leave military service. As such, once a dwarf reaches that level then every time he enters the military it will disable all of their skills, which is a pain.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Stuball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: August 15, 2012, 06:55:31 am »

I've built a smelter in my fort, yet when I attempt to smelt an ore, all the options are red. I have a bunch of ore in my fort and a bunch of fuel. Anyone offer any options as to what's going on?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: August 15, 2012, 07:24:08 am »

Is your smelter set to take from stockpiles? That could be a problem.

Alternatively try queuing the job up with the manager instead of in the smelter itself. Sometimes smelters have problems recognizing that a certain thing exists, but if you use the manager they will go and do it just fine.

Also if that doesn't work then you should get an error message telling you why they aren't doing it that should point you in the right direction.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Stuball

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: August 15, 2012, 07:37:53 am »

Oh christ... It just turned out to be a massive brain fart... I had embarked using the Mayday tileset's embark settings, so I was convinced I had fuel. Turns out that, surprise surprise, I didn't have fuel...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: August 15, 2012, 09:42:12 am »

My military dwarfs have all their skills turned off when they return to civilian service. Is this normal? Is it maybe because they are weaponmasters?
Yes. You can turn the labours back on, but as mentioned it's a pain.

If you have DT, you can create a job profile containing everything you'd want on every dwarf, apply it, and then re-enable any notable civilian skills by directly clicking the boxes.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: August 15, 2012, 02:43:45 pm »

My roads are randomly being destroyed. Is this connected to the "if you build something all items near it dance around" bug?

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: August 15, 2012, 02:49:23 pm »

The bug is "if you destroy something all items near it teleport to it", but only free items can teleport, not buildings.
Maybe some of your dwarfs are throwing tantrums and smash up your roads. Or did you just build dirt roads? They don't last very long.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 02:51:02 pm by Trif »
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Fortress Calling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: August 15, 2012, 03:43:26 pm »

My duke is tantruming 24/7 because he lives in a hut, destroying roads explains why he always calms down so fast thanks.

Aaarrgh!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: August 15, 2012, 05:43:45 pm »

Is it possible to build wells on top of each other, drawing from the same shaft?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 06:20:51 pm by Aaarrgh! »

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: August 15, 2012, 06:12:29 pm »

Is there any way currently to breed captured war critters from a hostile civilization?

I know it's currently bugged so that if you attempt to tame the creatures themselves, they disappear from the creatures list, and can't be tamed any further (and cause a ton of spam). But if you keep a male and female around as they're first captured, will they breed, letting you possibly trap and tame the offspring? And if so, is there any specific way you need to keep them? (Caged, not caged, chained, free-roaming in a locked room...?)

Millyrainbow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: August 15, 2012, 06:37:41 pm »

So i was peeking about in the wiki, and came across this. It was one of the recommended ways to explore caverns, but i just cant wrap my mind around it xD The way its put, makes it seem that you would carve fortifications near the edge of the vision, but i dont see how this would keep things out unless you were digging around the outside of the cavern, and fortifying the walls. Am i missing something?

Source of confusion:
Fortifications: as dwarves can see through fortifications, you can carve out a fortification near the edge of the explored area to safely discover more of the cavern. This prevents wildlife and megabeasts from entering your fort, as an added benefit. This method does not work for exploring the magma layers - or rather, it does work, but for a very, very brief time during which there is much fun.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: August 15, 2012, 08:19:06 pm »

But if you keep a male and female around as they're first captured, will they breed, letting you possibly trap and tame the offspring? And if so, is there any specific way you need to keep them? (Caged, not caged, chained, free-roaming in a locked room...?)
They'll breed. They'll attack the offspring, who are considered Hostile, but this may not happen on a chain. Either way, a ring of cage traps around the chain of the mother will catch anything she gives birth to.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

RiderofDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: August 15, 2012, 08:22:09 pm »

So i was peeking about in the wiki, and came across this. It was one of the recommended ways to explore caverns, but i just cant wrap my mind around it xD The way its put, makes it seem that you would carve fortifications near the edge of the vision, but i dont see how this would keep things out unless you were digging around the outside of the cavern, and fortifying the walls. Am i missing something?

Source of confusion:
Fortifications: as dwarves can see through fortifications, you can carve out a fortification near the edge of the explored area to safely discover more of the cavern. This prevents wildlife and megabeasts from entering your fort, as an added benefit. This method does not work for exploring the magma layers - or rather, it does work, but for a very, very brief time during which there is much fun.
Fortifications act as small windows; while you can see through 'em, the only thing that gets through are projectiles. I'm not sure if the same holds true if the fortification is submerged.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: August 15, 2012, 08:25:38 pm »

Source of confusion:
Fortifications act as small windows; while you can see through 'em, the only thing that gets through are projectiles. I'm not sure if the same holds true if the fortification is submerged.
Magma and other liquids can flow through fortifications.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: August 15, 2012, 08:28:24 pm »

Source of confusion:
If a fortification is completely submerged (i.e. 7/7) then creature that can swim are able to pass through them as if they weren't there.
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 422