Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 880899 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2730 on: July 24, 2012, 06:59:37 am »

Quick question: I'd like my squad specialized by weapons (spear, short sword..). If I delete the "individual choice melee weapon" (military, equip, enter) to set "sword" for example (W), then they will sadly not use training sword for sparring?

Swords and training swords are separate weapon types.  If you want training swords, assign those instead.  But as Garath said, there's no need for it -- they can spar 100% safely with regular swords.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2731 on: July 24, 2012, 02:53:54 pm »

Do creatures that pass through fortifications (like steam demons) occupy the same space as the fortification, or do they teleport through it? Can they destroy a building if it's built on the tile immediately on the other side of the fortification (like wall grates)?

CookieRaider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2732 on: July 24, 2012, 03:59:39 pm »

Can dwarves build a wall on a tile that has shallow flowing water on it? My dwarves need to dig through a really big aquifer....

weenog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2733 on: July 24, 2012, 04:01:06 pm »

Can dwarves build a wall on a tile that has shallow flowing water on it? My dwarves need to dig through a really big aquifer....
1/7 is okay, anything deeper than that is a no go.  Building constructed walls to force your way through an aquifer involves using a pump to keep the water as shallow as you can, and a lot of manually resuming suspended jobs.  They make a tiny amount of progress each time but they get there eventually.
Listen up: making a thing a ‼thing‼ doesn't make it more awesome or extreme.  It simply indicates the thing is on fire.  Get it right or look like a silly poser.

It's useful to keep a ‼torch‼ handy.

agatharchides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2734 on: July 24, 2012, 04:07:14 pm »

I'm coming back after a bit of a hiatus and I found a site with limonite, platinum, aluminum, galena, copper, zinc and tons of gold.  :D Only problem, it's partly evil so I am curious to know if sliver barbs are back in the game, or should I not bother trying to avoid the undead crap?
Memento Mori

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2735 on: July 24, 2012, 04:08:36 pm »

I've gathered them in evil biomes.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

CookieRaider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2736 on: July 24, 2012, 04:11:10 pm »

1/7 is okay, anything deeper than that is a no go.  Building constructed walls to force your way through an aquifer involves using a pump to keep the water as shallow as you can, and a lot of manually resuming suspended jobs.  They make a tiny amount of progress each time but they get there eventually.

ok thanks! :)

I thought that they could just drain the water into the next layer of the aquifer, until they reach the last layer. if that doesn't work, I will try using pumps.

horrible idea. it turned into a whirlpool that gobbled up three dwarves, three logs, and a cat. It's like a big upside down vacuum cleaner!
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 12:41:40 am by CookieRaider »

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2737 on: July 24, 2012, 05:07:06 pm »

Do building destroyers target rollers?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2738 on: July 24, 2012, 05:21:29 pm »

Do creatures that pass through fortifications (like steam demons) occupy the same space as the fortification, or do they teleport through it? Can they destroy a building if it's built on the tile immediately on the other side of the fortification (like wall grates)?

are we talking constructed or carved fortifications? I've had creatures go over constructed ones, never saw anything go through unless it is submerged in water or magma
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #2739 on: July 24, 2012, 07:08:12 pm »

If refuse is reanimated while in a minecart, does it stay in the cart? If so, does it respect dumping?
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2740 on: July 24, 2012, 10:00:55 pm »

are we talking constructed or carved fortifications? I've had creatures go over constructed ones, never saw anything go through unless it is submerged in water or magma
Let's assume either/both. Let's also assume that there is also a wall/floor on the next z-level up, right on top of the fortification.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2741 on: July 25, 2012, 01:52:03 am »

As I've said, I never saw anything pass through fortifications so no help there. The destroyed wall grate is easy. Building destroying takes place 2 tiles away, so yes, it can happen through a fortification
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2742 on: July 25, 2012, 05:36:01 am »

If refuse is reanimated while in a minecart, does it stay in the cart? If so, does it respect dumping?

No. I tried this a while ago by pushing a cart with a couple of dead kobolds past a necromancer. It took a few goes, but when they were eventually reanimated they dropped to the track and the minecart continued on without them.

toomanysecrets

• Bay Watcher
  • Jackpot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2743 on: July 25, 2012, 08:10:02 am »

If I don't place a coffer/chest in my hospital, will my docs simply grab the materials they need anyway?  Trying to avoid all my cloth and thread being vacuumed up.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2744 on: July 25, 2012, 09:20:31 am »

Yes. Some people prefer not building containers in the hospital at all, but that's probably only necessary if you are low on supplies. I just build them later, when I have plenty of everything.

EDIT: Many animals produce hair thread that can't be made into cloth. If you loom all other thread, the dwarfs should use this in the Hospital.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 09:22:57 am by XXSockXX »
Pages: 1 ... 181 182 [183] 184 185 ... 422